Closed Thread
Page 20 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Like I said before, I have my reservations about Hillary but I don't doubt for a moment that she's the best person right now to be president (we're doomed if it ends up being trump). And I feel like there's a lot of negative stuff being sensationalised to make her look bad.
    Just on this being doomed if it's Trump thing.
    I've seen the comments around the net, and made by Hillary herself, that he shouldn't have access to the nuclear codes, etc etc.
    Fair point.
    But I mentioned a few pages ago (Halloween, no time to scroll) that Hillary promised she would bring in a No-Fly zone over all of Syria, ultimately bringing us all into WW3 with Russia and was told by someone (probably Holly) that she wouldn't just do that, she would be advised on the best way to to go forward.
    So why is it that of we switch names and it's Trump that we will all be doomed, surely he has the same advisers?

That's the biggest problem I have with all of this.
    I don't have a vote or a say, but as an observer I'm finding the hypocrisy hard to swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    So why is it that of we switch names and it's Trump that we will all be doomed, surely he has the same advisers?

I don't have a vote or a say, but as an observer I'm finding the hypocrisy hard to swallow.
    No, he won't have the same advisors. Advisors are political appointments, and even those that aren't replaced automatically with a new presidency, in practical terms, even notional ongoing appointments would soon be replaced with those more acceptable to the president.

In the US system as well, lots of decisions are presidential decisions, which means he wouldn't need to listen to anyone and can do what he wants. And what Trump wants a lot of the time is straight from the Right Wing Nutbag's Handbook.

Part of the danger of Trump is that he hasn't come up in the usual way through the Republican party, and he's not really dependent on the party and party structure for his power. The stupidity of George W was mitigated somewhat by the fact that he presumably had competent people around him from the party in key roles to keep him from doing the really stupid things. Who knows what rabble Trump would bring with him.

I'm concerned that Trump would run the US in a dictatorial style. He's already indicated he may not accept the result of the popular vote. Who does that? Yep, dictators...

I'm no particular fan of Hillary's - and I think all politicians are compromised in some way and likely have one or two skeletons - but The Donald is just too awful to contemplate.

@Phony, you seem to be arguing that they're as bad as each other - is that right? Who would you vote for if you were in the US, and voting was compulsory? Keeping in mind that that there's absolutely no point voting for a third party candidate in the US for the presidency.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 30-10-2016 at 10:34.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-11-2016),LaDiDah  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I insutled them how?
    By making comparison with two human beings?
    Should I exclude them, ignore them like they're not humans?
    Maybe use an able bodied person in comparison to an animal for fear of comments like yours making assumptions and taking offence at nothing?
    Get a grip.
    PC gone mad and coming from you is just a bit rich tbh.
    http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article...ay-your-racism

Maybe read that. I know this is not a discussion on racism but this still applies here with the 'PC gone mad'.

I was also upset by your comment but chose to ignore it as I could not be kind at the time - and I choose to be kind.

As to the Clinton vs Trump discussion - I think Trump has a point with some of his policies and points - but my issue is that if I had to choose someone who could not control his temper, make decisions in a calm manner and who is respectful then I would choose Hillary over Trump any day. I do not blindly follow her. I do not think she is a 'criminal' or a 'nasty woman'. I think she is a politician that happens to be female. So somehow we think that means she needs to behave in a different manner than a male.

I wish there was a third option - but there is not.

As for the email thing - I did not even think about the printing out thing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on this being doomed if it's Trump thing.
    I've seen the comments around the net, and made by Hillary herself, that he shouldn't have access to the nuclear codes, etc etc.
    Fair point.
    But I mentioned a few pages ago (Halloween, no time to scroll) that Hillary promised she would bring in a No-Fly zone over all of Syria, ultimately bringing us all into WW3 with Russia and was told by someone (probably Holly) that she wouldn't just do that, she would be advised on the best way to to go forward.

Tbh I think the danger with trump becoming president has little to do with Syria & Russia and more to do with normalising and in fact giving legitimacy to sexism, racism, xenophobia and pigheadedness generally. If the world sees a country like USA with someone like trump as their leader, who spouts vile things every time he's on a podium without any consideration for how his words can influence people, how long do you think it will take for people (not just in USA but everywhere), to either believe the **** he says or become disillusioned, disenfranchised and radicalised?

There's a great little skit by Jim Jefferies about trump that I think is appropriate here.

https://youtu.be/zE8gffPz69Y

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-10-2016),Busy-Bee  (30-10-2016),Californication  (30-10-2016),JustJaq  (30-10-2016),LaDiDah  (02-11-2016),Phony  (02-11-2016),VicPark  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Tbh I think the danger with trump becoming president has little to do with Syria & Russia and more to do with normalising and in fact giving legitimacy to sexism, racism, xenophobia and pigheadedness generally. ]
    Absolutely this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day that the stuff Trump says is part of accepted public discourse is the day we should all pack up and head to the moon, i reckon.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-10-2016),LaDiDah  (02-11-2016),witherwings  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really don't get how he is popular with anyone. Putting aside his revolting comments about women and his elitist views, I didn't think someone who bragged about not paying taxes and uses bankruptcy as a business tool would be popular with the lower socioeconomic groups! It's a sad commentary about society that someone with no political background or service in any form of public office can run for president! He doesn't give a sh!t about serving the people. He's all about The Donald Ego. There's nothing of substance to him. He doesn't even have the skills to run the Oompa Loompa factory. Though he does look like one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I really don't get how he is popular with anyone. Putting aside his revolting comments about women and his elitist views, I didn't think someone who bragged about not paying taxes and uses bankruptcy as a business tool would be popular with the lower socioeconomic groups!
    It's because there's a subset of people who don't understand how taxes help them. Taxes are bad - and if The Donald can get away with paying no tax, they think they won't have to pay any either!

Poor people voting for Trump are voting against their own financial interests.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also saw on a program on the ABC that people are worried about the free trade agreements (that Hillary/Obama supports) fearing manufacturing will stop in the US. So lots of people will lose businesses and jobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politi...gation-sot.cnn

When Donald suggests the FBI are corrupt, everyone goes nuts!
    But Clinton here is suggesting Comey's timing is strange and unprecedented, is she also suggesting corruption?

BTW, isn't it awful easy for her to demand Comey tell the world what was in those emails, knowing very well he can't while they're under investigation, then urges people to vote early.
    At this point in time, whatever is in those emails doesn't matter, but she definitely knows what they contain.
    How could she not have asked Huma that question?
    I feel like you're really picking and choosing what you want to hear. Trump called the FBI corrupt because they concluded they couldn't charge Hillary on anything at the end of their investigation. The issue with Comey's letter to congress over these recent emails is that it is unprecedented for the Justice Department to comment on any investigation, especially during an election, in a way that may be seen to be trying to influence election results, the Justice Department is meant to stay quiet on this stuff. Clinton isn't the only one ****ed off, the whole Justice Department is. The Attorney General told him not to do this.