+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What's the worst job you've done?

A bit of a fluff thread.

Mine may be hard to top.

When I was younger I worked for a major telco in a call centre. It was the faults and difficulties department, so 90% of callers were hostile or abusive. The abuse was constant. And as we were the only number you could ring out from a barred/faulty landline or pay phone, we had a lot of prank callers too, sex calls etc.

We had to send an email to THREE seperate people (duty supervisor, work performance manager and our direct manager) when we went to the toilet and when we returned. We had to explain why if we took "too long".

Everything was timed. You got disciplined if you logged in 2 minutes early or 2 minutes late, too bad if the clock on your computer was out (and often was). You could not log out of the system so still had to take calls up until you had 2 minutes left on the clock- too bad if the next call took 30 minutes or even longer, and you didn't get paid for it. Hanging up on someone could result in instant dismissal.

They took away our tea and coffee. Then they locked the teaspoons up. You weren't allowed to access your locker or belongings in work time, too bad if your pen broke, you needed more water or you needed panadol. It was up to you to be prepared. You went 3.5 hours without a break, copping abuse and talking non stop.

We were required to be sitting in an upright posture with our legs at 90 degree angles. It was for our comfort and safety, apparently. They randomly did spot checks for this.

There was zero chance of career progression, we were all casual contractors.

They discouraged small talk with the callers, you had to stick to the script. Too bad that it helped get them on side. And we had very strict, somewhat unrealistic call times to reach.

Monthly one on one meetings where they told you where you could "improve". All your calls were recorded and they would pick 2 or 3 bad ones out of the hundreds of calls to play back to you. I was meeting every key performance indicator and was damn good at my job and they still ripped me apart every month.

If it was quiet we had to research our products. We had random tests and quizzes on this. If you failed you were given homework and made to take the test again.

We were not allowed to talk to others unless we had a work related question. You were not allowed to "loiter" around work outside your hours.

I made 10 months, then one shift I snapped, rang my now DH and said I couldn't do it anymore. Walked out mid shift to the cheers of my fellow employees. That was pretty awesome. I'm assuming they all got disciplined for that!

The call centre eventually got moved overseas.

So I'm always really nice to call centre employees. They are just trying to make a living like me or you. It's not their fault if the company that employes them is crap.

So, what's the worst job you've done?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-10-2016 at 09:38.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (23-10-2016),binnielici  (21-10-2016),HearMeRoar  (21-10-2016),Janesmum123  (21-10-2016),JustJaq  (22-10-2016),Wise Enough  (23-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wowsers! That sounds like a hideous job @Little Miss Sunshine.

Having to email three people to go to the bathroom- eek - I would have cheered for you too!

I've enjoyed all my jobs. What has been the make or break for me has been the culture of the workplace. Backstabbing, pettiness, poor management etc ruined what would have been a great job.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (21-10-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I once temped as a receptionist and was told to bring a book because it wouldn't be busy. I felt so unprofessional but probably went through 10 books in the 3 weeks I lasted there.

Also, I worked in a company with 2 other accountants and I reporting to the same manager. The others were men and were great at their job. Unfortunately our manager hated men and let them know it every day. I lasted about 6 months but pretty much decided on the first day that I was leaving.... they just made it worth my while to stay for a bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow LMS that is insane! I'm amazed you lasted so long.

My worst was a law firm I worked at when I first finished uni. They had a 30 page long booklet on the dress code. It was the most full on detailed list right down to what colour shoe laces in shoes, heel height, length of pants, what colours you couldn't wear together, make up, jewellery and watch types.

The culture also was horrific. In my first month one of the partners was going on leave for a week and asked me to do something while she was away. She told me to use her PA to get it done as the secretarial pool might cause delay. Well the PA totally backstabbed me. Told me she had sent it off when I gave it back to her after having it counter signed by another partner. When the female partner came back from leave she ripped me to shreds and asked why the letter was sitting in her inbox in her desk. I said the PA had sent it. The partner marched me over to the PA and asked her the PA looked at me and said oh no binnielici said she would do that so I didn't see the letter again after I typed it for her the partner then of course went at me for lying. I was gobsmacked.

The last straw came one day when DS1's school called me because he was sick and needed to go home. We had to log a code for all personal calls. The call took 2 minutes. I logged it then called my mum to see if she could pick him up and look after him so I didn't need to leave work. I logged that. She then called me about 20 minutes later to she had him and he would be ok. I logged that. All up under 5 minutes of calls to ensure I could stay at work.

The next week I was called in to HR because I was making too many personal calls. I explained the reason for the calls - assuming that would be a nonissue. Was told it was an unacceptable length of time on personal calls and I needed to manage my home life better. Needless to say I tendered my resignation right then.

There were so many more issues! It was the law firm from hell.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did a work trial in a small cafe when I was 17.
    Having worked in a cafe previously, I was aware of food handling procedures, how to use a coffee machine etc., so I was able to pick everything up really quick.

There were some revolting practices. Some of the things included:
    Uncovered raw meat sitting on the top shelf of the cool room, with (also uncovered) salads sitting on the shelf below. Even though the cafe has had multiple new owners since then, the stench of that cool room is etched in my mind and I still have to block my nose when I walk past.
    - A big stainless steel tub to put the milk in for the coffee machine that we would just pour fresh milk in with the old. It was not emptied and cleaned the whole time I was there, so who knows how old some of the milk was.
    - There wasn't enough cutlery or crockery, so we were made to just quickly rinse it under cold water and dry it with a dirty tea towel if it was busy.
    - We polished the cutlery with methylated spirits. No rinsing afterwards.
    - If someone didn't eat everything, the owner would either finish it off himself, or sometimes re-use it for another customer.

Anyway, back to my previous experience. When I started, I was confident that the trial would just be a one shift thing and I would have the job. 4 days later, he was still asking me to do more trial shifts, so I asked how the pay cycle worked. It turned out, my trial was unpaid. I was supposed to be working on my own the next day, so I did a big F YOU and just never showed up.

I should have left on the first day, but jobs were few and far between, so I tried to push through it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had two jobs that I considered really bad.

One was a busy receptionist role. I was misled about the role, thinking it was more of an admin position and part of a 'team', but I was isolated at the front desk and answering a busy switch. The boss was a stressed-out jerk (who later got busted for stealing bulk money from the business) and the owners were jerks too. Thankfully I got out of there after 7 weeks. I was miserable as hell there.

The other job was working for a married couple in small office (6 full time staff). It was an accounts role, but all staff were expected to work in the warehouse dispatching orders for part of the day too. I got a hernia from lifting something heavy and I was treated appallingly for having to make a worker's comp claim (all I got was my surgery expenses reimbursed, I didn't claim for any time off that I had to take). The wife was nasty, the husband didn't speak to me for a few months afterwards. They used to have fights in front of us staff. The husband was politically incorrect, inappropriate and racist (he used to call a beautiful dark skinned woman who worked there a 'gollywog'). It was horrid! I lasted 18 months there. The whole time I was there they were trying to employ a full timer in a purchasing role, but every person resigned in the probationary period (usually they lasted 1 or 2 weeks). Speaks volumes about the hell hole it was

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BakingAbun  (23-10-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing too horrible thankfully.
    I did work for a cafe that sacked me when I asked for the forms to do my taxes.
    They also paid me hideously under award (hence the sacking when I asked for tax dec forms) and then accused me of stealing.

My mother owns a business and she always made me do work for it and it was horrible. But on two occasions she hired people to work for her (about a year apart) both women only lasted two weeks before just not showing up again, no notice etc. didn't even come to collect their pay. (But it's definitely them that's the assholes, just ask my mother).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my first jobs (and bare in mind I was fresh out of high school) I was bullied so badly I had to stop at the front gate to vomit before going in to work each morning.

My boss used to yell at me for so long and to such an extent that many times I would be in tears. She would then pretend nothing was wrong and make me a cup of tea and send me out to my office for the rest of the day.

My office was a store-room off the garage. There were no windows, and the back support on my chair was broken. I used the outside bathroom for fear of having to go in the house and face her again. There was little heating in Winter (she would yell at me for wasting power) and no air conditioning in the summer at all.

She seemed to take great delight in berrating me in front of important people. If the Auditors or Accountants were coming I knew I was in for a few rough days. They used to try and divert her away from me - they knew what I was putting up with, but there was no stopping her.

Eventually the business was sold and I went on to work for the new owners. Things were better but still not great. I was made redundant shortly thereafter which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Interestingly enough, many years later my ex-boss approached me to do some casual work for her. She basically begged me to do so and I received an obscene amount of money for it. Her behaviour towards me at that point changed. I had grown in so many ways, and she needed me - not the other way around. How the worm turned...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of my nanny positions.

There was so much wrong with the parents- picky, critical, abusive verbally, no interest in their kids, expected too much, mean, never paid wage on time, and so much more.

But what made me leave, finally, was finding out from a relative that they had nanny cams. Not that I was doing anything wrong, or unprofessional, but they never informed me. So very wrong. I reported them to the police and they were issued a warning.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine would have to be at a newsagency. The owner actually got a kick out of talking down to you and trying to embarress his staff infront of people.
    I blame him for increasing my anxiety issues, I have never been able to work properly since working there.
    I used to drive to work crying for what the day would bring. I finally left after I had an anxiety attack working one day.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-10-2016)