ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Do you look at neighbouring properties...

When you choose a house to rent or buy?

As in, would you consider a property less desirable if there were neighbouring properties (think immediate neighbours - next door, opposite or behind your dwelling) that you thought could make your living situation unpleasant?

Or, is the perfect house more important than anything else?

What screams 'potential dud neighbour' to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you look at neighbouring properties...

After selling our house due to hideous neighbours, I would definitely have second thoughts if I felt the neighbours would be an issue.

How you would know this though is near impossible - unless they're shouting obscenities at you during the home open!

When we were looking for houses we 'stalked' the neighbourhood to get a general feel - but obviously this doesn't give you too much of an insight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely!! We are on and off looking to sell up and move and the number 1 reason is we are sick of our neighbours it's a shame as if we didn't have Neighbour problems we'd probably stay here 5-10 more years.
    We are so over it we are looking for a small property with no neighbours. So for us it wouldn't matter how perfect a house is if it's got another house within a few hundred metres it's not perfect for us. I don't want to lose the Neighbour lottery again lol.
    I think scoping out a street is definitely a good idea. Going at different times of the day and night. Are there noisy dogs barking all day? Loud music? Noise is my big issue so I wouldn't really care about the state of the place as long as they're quiet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Always - and because I can I always look up the owners history as well! ( how long they owned it, if it's rented etc ) I've always knocked on the neighbours doors and literally just asked a random question " sorry to bother you but we are looking at buying next door and the owners are not home but do you know where the closest bus stop is" or similar - just any random not too confronting question to suss them out! We often have people selling because of neighbours, I've had a few great ones with AVOs out and people yelling insults over the fence at open homes etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely. We've passed on buying several 'perfect' houses because the neighbours looked undesirable - hoon cars out the front, sheets instead of curtains, vicious looking dogs barking, etc. Not only do I not want to live next door that, but it would affect resale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, definitely check out the neighbours. Some problems might be obvious like horders or people who have home businesses. Others not so visible. I know some people whose neighbour likes to sunbake nude in his yard ( visible from there place). Unfortunately they didn't see him do it on the day of the open home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely. Like @gingermillie said we always check out the street at random times of the day and night. Definitely go by on weekend nights especially.

Interestingly a house a couple of streets over from us has just one on the market again it was only sold in March this year - makes me think there is a neighbour problem for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We'd definately look at the streets and the surrounding houses. I live next to and opposite the pigs from hell. You can constantly hear the kids screamed at with the f bomb, I'm sure the dp is growing something in the garage, the front and back and well the whole house has been totally let go before they bought it it was in immaculate condition including manicured gardens and also a wreck of a car that is in pieces and has sat there for years then there is next door with the 3 foot high grass, summer = brown snakes. All they do is drink and the backyard is collapsing into the neighbors down from them as they put a pool in. It didn't have the rubble taken away as that cost extra. My folks are the back neighbors and the rubble has already pushed over an asbestos fence and will end up at the back door at the rate it's going. It'll go to court to get them to clean it up

It houses like these that bring down the street. I call them the lazy Irish and the dirty poms

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep absolutely. Things that would turn me off are severely overgrown gardens, heaps of cars all over the front lawn (though strangely my neighbours usually have 3 cars on their lawn and it doesn't bother me, maybe because they're late model cars and it doesn't look like a "dump"), a large truck in the neighbours driveway (we've had one of them in the past who would start the truck in the middle of the night and let it idle for 10-20 minutes before driving off), and generally just a slobby looking house. When we bought our current house, I got my SIL who works in real estate to check the sale history of the neighbouring houses and whether they were rented or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    When you choose a house to rent or buy?

As in, would you consider a property less desirable if there were neighbouring properties (think immediate neighbours - next door, opposite or behind your dwelling) that you thought could make your living situation unpleasant?

Or, is the perfect house more important than anything else?

What screams 'potential dud neighbour' to you?
    I absolutely do!!! I peek over the back and side fences to see who the immediate neighbors are. I drive through the neighborhood during the day and nights, including a Friday and or Saturday night.