ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Group strep B infection

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I had group b strep for my 3rd baby & had an induction for the labour. I didnt find the AB's an issue at all intervention-wise. I was only given 1 dose though, becaue my labour was too quick. There was no monitoring o the baby afterwards - they didnt even mention the group B strep again. I was forced to go home around 10 hours after the birth, against my wishes (my baby had other health issues), because they were trying to 'clear the place out a bit'. The hospital was bordering on negligent in their care though, & they have had bad publicity about deaths due to their lack of care in the hospital recently, so my situation may not be the norm for other hospitals.
    Wow @cheeeeesecake that's crap.
    It's funny how at different hospitals you can have vastly different care. As I said I wanted to go home and the wouldn't let me.

My first birth was a horrific experience though and the care was abysmal too. So i brought my own pain relief in the second time around so I knew I would get some I was really scared of birthing there again. the first time they were overflowing with beds in the storerooms and the second time I had a room all to myself as they were really quiet, the attention and care I received was chalk and cheese! Still desperate to leave that place though. I think they were happy to keep me there as I never asked for anything and looked after myself. As that's what I expected after last time.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-10-2016 at 08:18.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was GBS pos with both of my pregnancies. With DS I went in as soon as my waters broke. I was there for maybe an hour while they did some monitoring and then they gave me oral abs so I could go home and wait for labour to establish. Had a natural, intervention free birth with no extra monitoring and he was a 36wkr. With DD I went in when contractions were 5 mins apart and had IV abs. No extra monitoring and another natural birth. Maybe check with your hosp if you have to be there the whole time if your waters break before labour establishes, or if they give oral abs so you can be at home until you need the hospital. Good luck OP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was negative with dd12 and didn't test with dd7 or ds6, as back then my hospitals tested too early and the result was far from accurate. I refused the test for DS3weeks, purely because I have very quick labours and am allergic to penicillin- the abx I'd need wouldn't have been effective in my labour timeframes anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The stats on Group B Strep seem so overwhelmingly unlikely to be an issue so I opt out of testing. I believe it's 1 in 4 mothers will have strep at the time of testing (and it's constantly shifting so false positive or negative results are possible). Then from there, if it's positive and present, 50% of babies will be infected with the Group B strep during labour. Then from there, approximately 1-2% will develop health issues as a result. I interpret that as so low risk it is not worth monitoring, and obviously many other health officials in other countries and hospitals here in Australia agree with that risk analysis.

It also makes sense to maximise your own healthy gut bacteria during pregnancy and labour via probiotics (either food based or manufactured/grown) and balanced diet (low in refined sugars & flours etc) to help bub establish strong immune defence during the colonization process of birth. And continue that immune support with breastfeeding. If I weren't able to provide these things for bub I may well change my risk/benefit analysis on having the testing.
    Last edited by BornToBe; 19-10-2016 at 09:41. Reason: Added final paragraph

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I had group b strep for my 3rd baby & had an induction for the labour. I didnt find the AB's an issue at all intervention-wise. I was only given 1 dose though, becaue my labour was too quick. There was no monitoring o the baby afterwards - they didnt even mention the group B strep again. I was forced to go home around 10 hours after the birth, against my wishes (my baby had other health issues), because they were trying to 'clear the place out a bit'. The hospital was bordering on negligent in their care though, & they have had bad publicity about deaths due to their lack of care in the hospital recently, so my situation may not be the norm for other hospitals.
    That sounds awful! Wow!
    Did your induction have anything to do with the infection or was it something else like being overdue?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BornToBe good idea about probiotics now! I'll go get some!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    That sounds awful! Wow!
    Did your induction have anything to do with the infection or was it something else like being overdue?
    No, nothing to do with the infection, it was for IUGR. They were pretty awful in general, but I'm lucky it was my 3rd & I at least had 2 great births and care before this one

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so sorry for your loss

I've taken abx while breastfeeding (had multiple mastitis infections) and neither of my boys have a single allergy. DS2 had an intolerance to Cows milk protein for several months so I stopped having dairy until he was 1, but now he loves milk in his smoothies, yoghurt, cheese, or straight from the bottle and has no negative side effects. So I'm not sure if this is necessarily true about abx through breast milk being a factor. I think it's one of those areas that need a lot more research.

I totally agree with you that the most important thing is to reduce risk of baby getting a deadly infection, so I'm not going to refuse the abx. But it's good to be informed and prepared so thank you!
    I'm not sure if antibiotics through breastmilk is a factor as well, just what came to mind if changing their gut flora is an issue. They're still doing research I'm sure and of course not all babies would react the same way in that sense with their guts but I know changed in gut flora is of the theories behind the increase in allergies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    37 weeks tomorrow and got my results from last week's swab and I've tested positive for group B strep.

I'm feeling pretty down about this because I wanted to have an uncomplicated labour with little intervention and now this feels like the first of many interventions I'm going to have during the labour.

For starters, I wasn't planning on going to hospital until I felt really close to baby arriving, but now I'm going to have to rush over at the first sign of labour...

I wanted to have some feedback from women who tested positive and whether this affected your labour experience in any way?

My ob assures me I can still have everything as normal except I'll have a cannula in my hand for IV abx. But can still have a water birth.

Also, is there any risk to baby? Like medically proven risk of any side effects from abx? I know the risk of baby getting sick from strep b is obviously the main concern, but I'm wondering what side effects if any the abx can have?

Thanks in advance
    I haven't read everyone's responses but noticed a few 'horror stories' popping up and just wanted to say that the only person you should be listening to is your care provider. As far as I understand, group B strep is only really an issue in high risk pregnancies and the fact that you have been assured all will be relatively normal and you can still have a water birth shows that you will be fine!

I think this is good practise for you getting your mind around your plans changing at any time during labour. Focus on the important part which is the safe arrival of your little on. So I say, follow your care provider's advice on antibiotics and just brush it off as not the worst thing that could happen. Put in your birth preferences to minimise interventions where possible and they will honour that, or if you want to maybe ask if it's an option to take a probiotic for a week and ask to be retested?
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 21-10-2016 at 09:49.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (22-10-2016),witherwings  (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who has experience in this field, id recommend you have the antibiotics. If you can prevent your baby getting gbs infection (which whilst rare, can be serious/fatal) why wouldn't you? You would need 1 -2 doses of antibiotics before the baby is born (at least 2 hours before), all hospitals have different protocols. If u don't have it baby will be monitored 24-48 hours and if they do anything remotely worrying bub will have antibiotics - which may be harsher on them. Get some baby probiotics and have the antibiotics in labour.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morganleroy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (22-10-2016),witherwings  (21-10-2016)