ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Group strep B infection

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily be basing your decisions on what the US does either though - they have a terrible maternal mortality rate.
    I was just giving an example that the UK's gbs rate was higher since they don't screen...

ETA: I would assume the US' issues are due to certain populations not having access to affordable healthcare.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 18-10-2016 at 23:15.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks so much for your replies ladies! I really appreciate it and I feel more at ease now.

I think I would prefer to risk Bub having some gut health issues from IV abx than the alternatives.. But how much do these issues affect Bub? Is it long term? For life? Just temporary like a few days?

So I guess the consensus is that having the cannula will not affect any other aspect of the labour but if my water breaks early then they will probably try to push me to speed things along with various induction methods... Im pretty comfortable with refusing interventions, I've had to do this in my previous labour and while it was upsetting at the time, I'm good at sticking to my guns.. I just don't want to have to go through that again. I even changed hospitals to avoid this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies ladies! I really appreciate it and I feel more at ease now.

I think I would prefer to risk Bub having some gut health issues from IV abx than the alternatives.. But how much do these issues affect Bub? Is it long term? For life? Just temporary like a few days?

So I guess the consensus is that having the cannula will not affect any other aspect of the labour but if my water breaks early then they will probably try to push me to speed things along with various induction methods... Im pretty comfortable with refusing interventions, I've had to do this in my previous labour and while it was upsetting at the time, I'm good at sticking to my guns.. I just don't want to have to go through that again. I even changed hospitals to avoid this.
    The first thing that comes to my mind for ab and gut health is allergies as they believe there is a link between the rise in allergies and our gut flora changing. My son has a peanut allergy and I took ABs while breastfeeding when he was about 10 days old for a UTI, obviously no way of knowing if this was a contributor, but could have been? For me personally, having lost a baby, I would feel better knowing I was doing what I could for them to be born safely and risk the potential allergies, than to not. But we all make our own risk assessments so just do what you're comfortable with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I was strep b positive both pregnancies.

Dd1 I had the IV antibiotics and she was dreadfully colicky, gassy and unsettled, until a CHN suggested baby probiotics, after a week she was a new baby, this was at about 3-4 months of age. So I definitely recommend baby probiotics if you have the IV antibiotics. It was a long few months, seriously hours and hours of crying and not much sleep. I wish I knew about baby probiotics earlier.

Dd2 her labour was too quick. And I certainly didn't rush in and they never told me to either. It's better to labour at home for as long you can, as you would already know, as you're more active and less likely to receive unnecessary interventions. She was so easy and placid after birth, cementing my suspicions dd1 was so miserable was because of the ABs. I HAD to stay in hospital for 48 hours for monitoring as the doctors refused to let me go home (well I could discharge myself but I wouldn't of had follow ups organised) as that was their policy though if you didn't have ABs. And I was desperate to get home. Dd2 was obviously completely fine

My hospital also won't do water births when step b positive but clearly every hospital does everything different lol
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-10-2016 at 06:33.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-10-2016 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The first thing that comes to my mind for ab and gut health is allergies as they believe there is a link between the rise in allergies and our gut flora changing. My son has a peanut allergy and I took ABs while breastfeeding when he was about 10 days old for a UTI, obviously no way of knowing if this was a contributor, but could have been? For me personally, having lost a baby, I would feel better knowing I was doing what I could for them to be born safely and risk the potential allergies, than to not. But we all make our own risk assessments so just do what you're comfortable with.
    I'm so sorry for your loss

I've taken abx while breastfeeding (had multiple mastitis infections) and neither of my boys have a single allergy. DS2 had an intolerance to Cows milk protein for several months so I stopped having dairy until he was 1, but now he loves milk in his smoothies, yoghurt, cheese, or straight from the bottle and has no negative side effects. So I'm not sure if this is necessarily true about abx through breast milk being a factor. I think it's one of those areas that need a lot more research.

I totally agree with you that the most important thing is to reduce risk of baby getting a deadly infection, so I'm not going to refuse the abx. But it's good to be informed and prepared so thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I was strep b positive both pregnancies.

Dd1 I had the IV antibiotics and she was dreadfully colicky, gassy and unsettled, until a CHN suggested baby probiotics, after a week she was a new baby, this was at about 3-4 months of age. So I definitely recommend baby probiotics if you have the IV antibiotics. It was a long few months, seriously hours and hours of crying and not much sleep. I wish I knew about baby probiotics earlier.

Dd2 her labour was too quick. And I certainly didn't rush in and they never told me to either. It's better to labour at home for as long you can, as you would already know, as you're more active and less likely to receive unnecessary interventions. She was so easy and placid after birth, cementing my suspicions dd1 was so miserable was because of the ABs. I HAD to stay in hospital for 48 hours for monitoring as the doctors refused to let me go home (well I could discharge myself but I wouldn't of had follow ups organised) as that was their policy though if you didn't have ABs. And I was desperate to get home. Dd2 was obviously completely fine

My hospital also won't do water births when step b positive but clearly every hospital does everything different lol
    Thank you so much for the tip on baby probiotics!

It could be helpful for any baby with colic, even without having been exposed to IV abx. My ds1 didn't have colic and ds2 did. Very different babies in the first 12 weeks, and neither of them had been exposed to IV abx.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the tip on baby probiotics!

It could be helpful for any baby with colic, even without having been exposed to IV abx. My ds1 didn't have colic and ds2 did. Very different babies in the first 12 weeks, and neither of them had been exposed to IV abx.
    I had a bottle of baby probiotics ready for dd2 and she never needed them lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had group b strep for my 3rd baby & had an induction for the labour. I didnt find the AB's an issue at all intervention-wise. I was only given 1 dose though, becaue my labour was too quick. There was no monitoring o the baby afterwards - they didnt even mention the group B strep again. I was forced to go home around 10 hours after the birth, against my wishes (my baby had other health issues), because they were trying to 'clear the place out a bit'. The hospital was bordering on negligent in their care though, & they have had bad publicity about deaths due to their lack of care in the hospital recently, so my situation may not be the norm for other hospitals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to add I didn't deliberately stay at home longer to avoid the ABs. I was happy to have them. They even put the canula in but she decided she was coming out right then and there!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post: