ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was positive for DS. My water broke, and I had to go in pretty much straight away. They tried to convince me to supplement my labour with the drip, before any monitoring or anything had been done, because I wasn't showing any signs of being in active labour. I refused (and I was in active labour after all was said and done so they should just not have argued with me when I said no the first time). I was up and active for the majority of my labour. I ignored their request for consent for the foetal scalp monitoring (because I felt they were just taking the easy way out for themselves, and it wasn't necessary for me or bub). Really, the GBS was a nothing in terms of my labour (all the negative stuff associated with my labour was completely unrelated to the GBS and need for a canular).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From the website of the hospital I work at, just as a point of interest.

IMG_1476788158.751317.jpg
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Group strep B infection

Genuinely not trying to argue, I just didn't think the U.K. should be used as an example in thinking screening wasn't that big of a deal.

Other countries that screen and info that the UK's rate is higher than the US (which screens).

http://gbss.org.uk/information-and-s...t-is-gbs/faqs/

Info that it varies by hospital:

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/...ection-group-b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's just one of those things where there's no clear right or wrong answer. Just shows a difference in policy from hospital to hospital/country to country and gives women the ability to do their own research and make an informed decision.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2016),witherwings  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I think it's just one of those things where there's no clear right or wrong answer. Just shows a difference in policy from hospital to hospital/country to country and gives women the ability to do their own research and make an informed decision.
    Definitely. Just for a developed nation the U.K. has one of the highest stillbirth rates so I personally wouldn't give much weight to some of their policies. It's not like with what you are describing, that you would test if a woman wanted it, you have to go privately here if you would like the test.

But anyways, major thread derailment for witherwings!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Group strep B infection

Even if you test negative at 35-37 weeks you can still be positive in labor.

I don't know what the answer is, and I'm obviously glad my now 8 year old is fine but I am also glad that I wasn't flat on my back with a drip and having my second baby monitored during labour. My son was nearly 5kg at birth yet I was active throughout my labour and delivered him with no interventions, drugs and no tears or stitches!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-10-2016 at 23:39.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op just to remind you..... Just because you screened positive does not mean that you need to consent to the ab's. Perhaps ask your care provider about specific risk statistics to help you make you decision. Also discuss other options. You could decline ab's but have increased monitoring of baby after birth (4hrly temp checks for 24hrs, perhaps a crp blood test)? You could consent to ab's in labour but not rush into hospital. Perhaps discuss with your care provider the benefit of only receiving the first loading dose of ab. It would give your baby some cover from possible gbs infection but not full cover (as with two doses given).

I can't see any reasonable reason that GBS would exclude you from a waterbirth.

I personally would worry about the risk to babys gut health BUT if you decline ab's in labour and then baby has some symptoms of infection and is given IV ab's then obviously this would have more of an effect on baby. It really is tricky to know what is the best choice. Hopefully you have a care provider that is happy to talk through all your options and find something that meets your needs while reducing the risk to baby.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Xxx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Genuinely not trying to argue, I just didn't think the U.K. should be used as an example in thinking screening wasn't that big of a deal.

Other countries that screen and info that the UK's rate is higher than the US (which screens).

http://gbss.org.uk/information-and-s...t-is-gbs/faqs/

Info that it varies by hospital:

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/...ection-group-b
    I wouldn't necessarily be basing your decisions on what the US does either though - they have a terrible maternal mortality rate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Op just to remind you..... Just because you screened positive does not mean that you need to consent to the ab's. Perhaps ask your care provider about specific risk statistics to help you make you decision. Also discuss other options. You could decline ab's but have increased monitoring of baby after birth (4hrly temp checks for 24hrs, perhaps a crp blood test)? You could consent to ab's in labour but not rush into hospital. Perhaps discuss with your care provider the benefit of only receiving the first loading dose of ab. It would give your baby some cover from possible gbs infection but not full cover (as with two doses given).
    To add on from this, if we have women who decline IVABs in labour and are known positive to GBS, the paediatricians won't clear baby for discharge until babe has had 48hrs of monitoring. Might be worth checking individual hospital policy so you know what to expect. (General you, not necessarily directed to the OP). Totally agree with the second point there too, you could always agree to the loading dose and no further subsequent doses. We've had plenty of women do just that, and the drs are happy for a cord blood test at birth and just the standard 24hrs monitoring.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Even if you test negative at 35-37 weeks you can still be positive in labor.

I don't know what the answer is, and I'm obviously glad my now 8 year old is fine but I am also glad that I wasn't flat on my back with a drip and having my second baby monitored during labour. My son was nearly 5kg at birth yet I was active throughout my labour and delivered him with no interventions, drugs and no tears or stitches!
    Yep thank you!! I had no idea about this stuff until I had DS. Our Hosp does screening I had booked c sections but he still had sepsis when delivered on my notes it said due to my strep b. I felt awful but then when I knew it changed all time (mine was NEG )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post: