ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tonsillectomy advice

Hi ladies, my 4 year old ds will be having his tonsils and adenoids removed on Friday. I haven't told him about it and have no idea how to explain to him about what's going to happen without freaking him out. Any tips on explaining it to him ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD had hers done at 4 (they didn't take her adenoids once in as they were small and healthy, so just tonsils).

I would talk to him about the problems he's been having to get to this (in DD 's case it was recurrent tonsillitis and ear infections) and explain that he will be going to hospital so the Dr can take out the bits that are making him sick.

Explain that they will put a special tube in his arm (don't mention needles) that the medicine which will make him sleep and not feel anything when they do it. Do let him know he will be sore after but that they will give him more medicine until it feels better.

I bought DD new pyjamas for the hospital stay, a special new toy for being brave (she hated her 4yo needles and has a low pain threshold, so was pretty anxious) and promised lots of ice cream. They do like them to start eating hard food asap nowadays but still had ice cream on offer.

She did wake up quite distressed due to pain but they pumped her full of pain killers until she calmed. Be prepared to jump into the recovery bed with them for comfort (nurses recommended this). She then slept for a few hours back in the ward (they will come and do frequent obs) and woke up ready for her ice cream. She was great after that and could have been back at kindy 3 days later (kept her home for the week).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad your dd recovered so quickly, I really hope my ds is the same. Thanks for your advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 y/o DD had her tonsils out 11 days ago.

I told her 3 days before surgery that it was happening and the reasons why. I actually didn't go into much detail other than the Dr will use a mask like (her sister's) asthma puffer mask to help her go to sleep and she wont feel anything at all. I did tell her she would have about 2 weeks of school because she wouldnt be all that well.

DD went into surgery at 2.30, back in the ward at 4.00 and we were sent home at 6.30.

You didnt ask, but I will tell you for my DD, days 1-4 post surgery were pretty good, she was more tired than anything and we used panadol every 4 hours. Days 5-10 were AWFUL. She was waking every 2.5 hours in pain and we ended up using a combination of panadol and endone to keep her pain under control. Eating or drinking anything was incredibly painful. I'd say she's lost at least 2kg. Today, day 11, she hasn't had any panadol and she's perfectly happy in herself but eating anything other than very soft food makes her cry still. I'll be keeping her home for the rest of the week, which will be 2 full weeks of school.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    My 5 y/o DD had her tonsils out 11 days ago.

I told her 3 days before surgery that it was happening and the reasons why. I actually didn't go into much detail other than the Dr will use a mask like (her sister's) asthma puffer mask to help her go to sleep and she wont feel anything at all. I did tell her she would have about 2 weeks of school because she wouldnt be all that well.

DD went into surgery at 2.30, back in the ward at 4.00 and we were sent home at 6.30.

You didnt ask, but I will tell you for my DD, days 1-4 post surgery were pretty good, she was more tired than anything and we used panadol every 4 hours. Days 5-10 were AWFUL. She was waking every 2.5 hours in pain and we ended up using a combination of panadol and endone to keep her pain under control. Eating or drinking anything was incredibly painful. I'd say she's lost at least 2kg. Today, day 11, she hasn't had any panadol and she's perfectly happy in herself but eating anything other than very soft food makes her cry still. I'll be keeping her home for the rest of the week, which will be 2 full weeks of school.
    Oh that's awful, your poor dd. I'm really stressed about it as he can't afford to lose any weight. He had a bad virus a couple of months ago and lost a kilo and looked awful he was so thin so I'm really hoping he recovers quickly. He is quite a fussy eater as well and the things would normally eat aren't soft so I don't know what I'm going to do food wise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know if they are cauterising them out? If so, they advised us to stick to hard foods as much as possible like toast and so on. This prevents a scab forming which hurts in week 2. DD was back to her normal diet when we got home the day after, despite her constant requests for ice cream! In fact they wouldn't discharge her until they saw her eat a piece of toast and were quite stern in their "do not feed her jelly and ice cream" instructions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 5 and had his tonsils and adenoids out last Thurs (day 5 today). I told him what was happening from the first consult with the ENT...I explained that his tonsils were making him sick so he needed them taken out by the Dr and he would have special medicine to make him sleep and he would have a sleep and when he woke up they would be all fixed. I also clearly explained that he probably would have quite a sore throat but we would have medicine to help with it.
    Im a nurse and in my experience children who know what to expect cope best...so explain in simple terms exactly what is happening (please please do this when you take you kids for vaccines!!) It's much more traumatic to have a bad experience sprung on you at the last minute.!!
    My DS has recovered well so far...throat sore but coping fine with panadol only. It's expected to have increased pain around day 5-8 when the throat scabs start coming away, but you will be given stronger pain medication for that.
    Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Do you know if they are cauterising them out? If so, they advised us to stick to hard foods as much as possible like toast and so on. This prevents a scab forming which hurts in week 2. DD was back to her normal diet when we got home the day after, despite her constant requests for ice cream! In fact they wouldn't discharge her until they saw her eat a piece of toast and were quite stern in their "do not feed her jelly and ice cream" instructions.
    Oh I have no idea but will definitely ask. The nurse told me they will give him icy poles when he wakes, there was no mention of any other food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All tonsils are cauterised now...
    They will give him an icy pole in recovery...After that it's back to normal diet ASAP. The faster he eats normal food the less pain he'll have. My DS has been eating popcorn, toast etc. They will be a bit reluctant to eat, just keep encouraging little bits...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    Oh that's awful, your poor dd. I'm really stressed about it as he can't afford to lose any weight. He had a bad virus a couple of months ago and lost a kilo and looked awful he was so thin so I'm really hoping he recovers quickly. He is quite a fussy eater as well and the things would normally eat aren't soft so I don't know what I'm going to do food wise
    It was actually recommended that we get DD to eat crunchier foods such as toast, chicken nuggets and fries, dry biscuits (the ENT said to give her what she wants if its food that is a bit rough in texture). We managed this for the first 4 or so days and then she started refusing food pretty much. We did get her drinking milkshakes (with a banana blended in) so she wasn't starving at least. She is starting to eat a bit more today.

I think just stick with your DS normal diet and hope that he eats it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (18-10-2016)