Closed Thread
Page 85 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Feeling a bit weird after seeing the address the Claremont Serial Killer in Perth was living in when he was committing the murders. Right next door to a very good friend of mine at school. During those years I spent a ton of time at my friend's house because he was best friends with my boyfriend. I was 16-18 years old then.
    It was such a hot news topic here, it's so bizzare to think we would have been discussing the mystery of the abductions, while he was living right next door!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I painted DS2's nails (and my toes too please he said too cute) the other day. DH mentioned he thought in a year or so it wouldn't be ok to do that. I said why? How does being 5 all of a sudden mean it's not ok? I then said 'at 5 is it time to grow up and be a man?? He shut up but I know it's not the last of it.
    I still paint DS's when he asks and he's 7. I know DH thinks it's silly, but he doesn't say anything. But I think he thinks painting DD's is silly too, so not a gender thing . He did go through a "big boys don't cry" phase, but I sorted that out quick. No one is forcing my son to repress his feelings even if he is their father!

I feel sorry for a friend's son. It's usually just us Mum hanging out with our youngest, but we had lunch with them for New Years, and his dad told him to stop kissing and hugging him, and to harden up when he got upset over something. The kid is 4 and dad is already teaching him not to have feelings or express emotion. I just felt sad for him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Feeling a bit weird after seeing the address the Claremont Serial Killer in Perth was living in when he was committing the murders. Right next door to a very good friend of mine at school. During those years I spent a ton of time at my friend's house because he was best friends with my boyfriend. I was 16-18 years old then.
    It was such a hot news topic here, it's so bizzare to think we would have been discussing the mystery of the abductions, while he was living right next door!
    Oh wow, that's a bit too close to home.

I hope he tells the police where the other body is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I am down 6kg in 7 weeks. I'm pretty happy with that steady amount of weight loss, especially over Christmas.

I am really happy about it.

I am also proud that despite hating every second of exercise, I still do it. Go willpower.
    Great job! What's your secret!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I still paint DS's when he asks and he's 7. I know DH thinks it's silly, but he doesn't say anything. But I think he thinks painting DD's is silly too, so not a gender thing . He did go through a "big boys don't cry" phase, but I sorted that out quick. No one is forcing my son to repress his feelings even if he is their father!

I feel sorry for a friend's son. It's usually just us Mum hanging out with our youngest, but we had lunch with them for New Years, and his dad told him to stop kissing and hugging him, and to harden up when he got upset over something. The kid is 4 and dad is already teaching him not to have feelings or express emotion. I just felt sad for him.
    DH was joking just before when I was painting DD's toes that he wanted his painted. It was DD who said no, but only because he has such big feet his toes would take too long to dry!

I wish she had said yes; just to see DHs reaction and if he would have gone through with it.

That poor little boy, DH has said the same to DD before, so at least that was big girls don't cry, but still, not good to tell them not to show emotion because it annoys us. But I'm at least slowly getting him to not say that. I grew up with my Dad not letting us show emotions (negative ones) and I still find it hard to do, because I never had practice, I only had practice in hiding my emotions so I'm pretty good at that.

I must say DH is pretty good with not having stereotypes, I just take it that one step further and he doesn't quite get why.

DDs favourite colour used to be green - ever since she could recognise it and before she could even say it, when she started kindy one of the teachers even remembered her favourite colour was green. But after one term at kindy her favourite colours are now pink and purple and always says blue is a boys colour! Grrrr, society will always seem to have a way to enforce the stereotypes / traditional way of thinking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Californication  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Great job! What's your secret!?
    Not much of a secret. Just go on the elliptical for a minimum of 10 mins (at brisk pace) 5 days a week. Cut out soft drink and only drink water or soda water with fruit. Swapped chips for crackers with Philly. Stuff like that. We get take out (usually kfc) once a fortnight when we are in town for shopping, so I still get that but don't upsize the chips and go for a water with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I gender stereotype my kids, I mean yes we have a play kitchen and dolls and they wear dresses but my 4 yo favourite colour is blue(she recently added pink) and their favourite toy is a dinosaur. But I said to hubby the other day I think it is still more 'acceptable' for girls to like traditionally boy toys than the other way around. I would like to think my hubby would be accepting even if we had boys but who knows.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    I don't think I gender stereotype my kids, I mean yes we have a play kitchen and dolls and they wear dresses but my 4 yo favourite colour is blue(she recently added pink) and their favourite toy is a dinosaur. But I said to hubby the other day I think it is still more 'acceptable' for girls to like traditionally boy toys than the other way around. I would like to think my hubby would be accepting even if we had boys but who knows.
    Which I guess is part of the problem. Like it's okay for girls to want to do 'boy things' because they're strong, masculine blah blah crap but of course it's not okay for boys to want to do 'girl things' because they're delicate and pretty blah blah crap.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HearMeRoar View Post
    Oh wow, that's a bit too close to home.

I hope he tells the police where the other body is.
    Me too, that poor family have waited so long for closure @HearMeRoar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Where did you see it? I haven't seen that anywhere, shocking case isn't it... absolutely amazing how modern technology has helped solve this crime!