+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Michael Moore documentary appreciation

Has anyone seen "where to invade next?" ?

I watched it last night for the first time. I'd watched a segment of it on YouTube a few weeks ago about schools in Finland but I hadn't realised it was part of a larger documentary until yesterday.

I also watched SICKO the previous day, which I had seen before but felt like watching again to get more of an appreciation of our healthcare system in Australia, even with all its flaws.

And after watching these two films (I've seen his others too - Fahrenheit 9/11, bowling for columbine and capitalism), I really got this overwhelming feeling of pity for the American people.

Their government, their society and their way of life just seems so WRONG. I know a lot of people on BH and in Australia in general complain about our politics, health care, education system and economy, but watching sicko and where to invade next really gave me a deep sense of pride and appreciation for living in this amazing country, although there is a lot of improvement that we need to see happen, a lot left to be desired...

I'm curious what others who have watched these films think? Also, I kind of wish Australia would adopt a lot of the ideas and systems that Michael Moore highlights in his films and I wonder how much better our society and way of life would be if this was the case..

Namely:
    * the Finnish school system of no standardised tests, no private schools, and no homework
    * the French school cafeteria where children are served as if they were at home, at round dining tables, with 4 course meals of fresh healthy food, and only served water to drink
    * the Italian paid holidays for workers, including honeymoon pay, 5 months full paid maternity leave, 2 hour lunch breaks
    * the Norwegian prison & justice system - has to be seen to be believed
    * Portugal's drug laws - decriminalising drug use
    * Slovenia's free university education system, even for foreign students

Anyway, I enjoy watching these films, very thought provoking but also quite sad to imagine that USA will not change its ways, even with an idealistic and charismatic president such as Barack Obama, let alone the vile Donald trump or the very much disliked Hilary Clinton..

Can I just say again how glad I am to live in Australia?
    Last edited by witherwings; 17-10-2016 at 23:40.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I haven't seen 'where to invade next', but I have seen BFC, Fahrenheit 911 and Sicko.

I am on the fence about Michael Moore really. I think I agree with his politics a lot and I think he makes great films, but I find he is just a little patronising with his bias and sometimes goes a little far. I don't like his little stunts. They seem a little self-righteous and smug at times.

I HATE the Charlton Heston part of BFC and the last half hour or so lost me, as did parts of 911. I remember really enjoying Sicko, though. I found it very interesting. And the first part of BFC is one of the best docos I've ever seen...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't watched any of his docos, but they sound interesting. Did you ****** them?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Michael Moore documentary appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I haven't seen 'where to invade next', but I have seen BFC, Fahrenheit 911 and Sicko.

I am on the fence about Michael Moore really. I think I agree with his politics a lot and I think he makes great films, but I find he is just a little patronising with his bias and sometimes goes a little far. I don't like his little stunts. They seem a little self-righteous and smug at times.

I HATE the Charlton Heston part of BFC and the last half hour or so lost me, as did parts of 911. I remember really enjoying Sicko, though. I found it very interesting. And the first part of BFC is one of the best docos I've ever seen...
    I loved BFC when I first watched it and then I found out about how he had manipulated a lot of the footage in a deceptive way, and it totally put me off him. I think his premise should be good enough without having to made dive the audience. I don't like his stunts either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *without having to deceive the audience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

I agree he does overdo it quite a bit, and he has this tone in his narration that is extremely patronising and also trying too hard to pull on the heart strings. The thing I like though is that he highlights certain problems in society in a really in-your-face way that really makes you think about things you hadn't considered before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I haven't watched any of his docos, but they sound interesting. Did you ****** them?
    You can watch them all on YouTube except for the latest one, where to invade next. You can probably download it through a torrent website but i just rented it on google play for $6 or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJane75 View Post
    I loved BFC when I first watched it and then I found out about how he had manipulated a lot of the footage in a deceptive way, and it totally put me off him. I think his premise should be good enough without having to made dive the audience. I don't like his stunts either.
    What were the deceptions? I haven't seen BFC for years. Curious to know what he's done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just things like, when he went to the bank and got the gun, he edited it to look like it was handed to him then and there, whereas in reality ID checks had to be done and he would have had to wait a couple of weeks for the gun.

Also, the scene where he shows Heston at an NRA conference at a town near Columbine, right after the Columbine shooting, holding up a gun saying, "I have only five words for you: 'from my cold, dead, hands", well apparently, the conference was actually held months after the shooting and footage of Heston saying that line was from a completely different NRA event elsewhere in the country that had no relation to the Columbine shooting. He just wanted to make Heston look like an complete *** hole and it did.

Just stuff like that. So, now I can't watch his stuff because I constantly wonder if what he's depicting is true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah it sounds like a lot of creative licence on his part. But the SICKO documentary is pretty good. I highly recommend it!