ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD - dining out with 2 year old

The youtube kids app is my best friend when we're out and ds1 gets antsy. I have no problem letting him use it so I can enjoy my meal/drink/conversation in peace. He doesn't expect it when he's at home and I feel if we're out it's my job to ensure he's not disruptive to other customers. I rarely get to do anything for myself so if peppa pig on my phone keeps him happy for a bit I'm fine with it .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-10-2016),Mod-Wise Enough  (19-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't let a kid scream, that's unfair on other patrons. I'd try and distract them as much as possible, iPad/iPhone with whatever app/YouTube vid does the trick.

if ds starts whinging or carrying on when we are out now we use hooplakidz videos on YouTube. he loves them. it's not ideal but if it buys you a bit of peace and quiet, why not. we don't go out often, have no family support for babysitting and ds is usually pretty good/chilled out. so I don't feel too bad giving him screen time as I know it's limited.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As soon as our kids can put two words together we don't let them scream or cry to get what they want. They need to calm themself and ask properly. So in this case if going into the highchair started a tanty I would say "Stop crying. You need to ask." Usually a few times and possibly worded differently. All up it generally takes 30-60/seconds for them to calm and sob out "up please", then we get them up. That way they don't associate scream=get my way. If another patron chose to complain to me about my 3 year old screaming for one minute while I taught him some manners I would tell them to take a look at my beautifully behaved 8 year old and to politely shove off!

One thing that kept my toddlers happy at that age was a glass of ice chips. It's something they can only get when out so the novelty of it usually buys 10 minutes of quiet.

I will add that I would not bother doing the above if either child is at the end of their tether. Eg. If childless friends organise dinner for 7.30pm and my kids are ready for bed then it's iPad, ice cream, anything that works!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-10-2016)