ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I would pop him on a chair and be done with the high chair.
    I was going to suggest the same. DS is in a chair now. We sometimes take toys or things to play with but sometimes our lunches out are spur of the moment so we don't have anything.
    There's no way he would let us put him in a chair out now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've always eaten out a lot with our kids and it can be a right nightmare! We leave the placing of child in high chair until the last critical moment (lol it is a well tuned manoeuvre between DH & I!), we sit him on our knee, go for a walk outside etc to keep him busy and then when our food arrives we put him in with his and keep on our toes at the ready with little cars, pencils, paper, books etc if their food isn't holding their attention.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsIsMe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh A-Squared, my DS2 is exactly the same. Most nights he sits on my lap while I eat my dinner, which is just delightful. He does sit in his high chair and eat lunch quite happily, but dinner time he barely eats anything, and will only sit in the high chair for minimum amount of time.
    That said, if I'm not home he apparently will sit in the high chair and eat, so I think my DH is better at setting boundaries with him than me, or can put up with his screams much more than me!
    If it is important to you, I think you should let him cry so that he will learn hat is expected at dinner time, but I would perfect it at home before enforcing it when you're out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016),amyd  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just use a normal chair, my 20 month and nearly 3 year sit at a normal chair at the dining table. At a cafe I would allow them to get up while others are eating and not sit them down until dinner has been brought out but at home we encourage waiting at the table until everyone has finished. When your out its not your normal routine anyway so some flex is fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 2 mine wouldn't be in a high chair. I take lots of toys and colouring in books. Buy them a milkshake. iPad as last resort.

It's a bit old school to think children should be seen and not heard. They didn't ask to go. Humour them and make it a fun experience.

My DDs ditched the high chair at 1. At restaurants they would often stand on the chair next to me. My childless friends would repeatedly try and make them sit down and I was thinking FFS don't pick that battle for me, she's happy!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I put possum in a highchair as she's started doing runners. But if she was going mental I'd get her out. I make sure we have food, and distractions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD - dining out with 2 year old

Thanks everyone!! He was probably in the chair a total of 10 minutes crying (5 mins before lunch and 5 mins during).

We always bring pencils cars, keys, a few blocks and the iPad but none of these worked today.

He also eats like a sparrow so if he's not hungry he won't like it even more. We have tried sitting him on a chair but he just gets up and walks off.

I think as you suggested @littlebugsmum we will be firm at home, but just do what works if we are out.
    @BigRedV, Adelaide is severely lacking in places to go to eat with a play area, they would be our preference of venue though!

Thankfully he was happy to sit in his chair at home while we all ate, but he was hungry I guess so that's why there were no tears.

Getting him to eat is such a battle so that often weighs on my mind too - I wish he would want to sit still for 5 minutes and eat something half substantial, but he's just a kid who would rather play and explore and read than eat

@wiseenough my dad was the same today. DS finally had calmed down for a tiny bit and Dad gets out a tissue and starts wiping his nose...... Cue more screaming and DS ends up in my lap getting splashed with sauce from my spaghetti!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps he was uncomfortable in the chair. Maybe something was digging in to him. I was using a new type of nappy pants when shopping yesterday and dd was really unhappy in her stroller so I went to to change room and changed her nappy and it turned out she was getting scratched by the nappy. I felt really bad because I ignored it at first.
    Last edited by Skye Baby; 16-10-2016 at 21:44.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Pretty sure we stopped using the high chair by that age. 2 year olds can't sit still. The only way we can sit at a cafe for more than 5 mins is by letting ds use our phones. Ds will be 3 in Jan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah having a non eater makes it harder. My girls can always be bought with food. You need to find his currency. For my girls it's food. For my nephews it's iPads- one is autistic and we cover him in a blanket and he cuts curls up and pretends he's not there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)