ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD - dining out with 2 year old

So we went to a cafe for lunch today for my Dad's Birthday and the entire time DS screamed the entire time he was in his high chair. Same thing happened last night at dinner.

WWYD? Would you let him cry so he can get used to sitting in a high chair whenever we have family meals together and start to learn to calm himself down? Get him out of the chair immediately and let him do what ever he wants (ie walk around outside the cafe with an adult or at home let him play with his toys?

I know he's still so tiny and is just turned 2 so welcome to the terrible 2s! But I don't want to start with the bad habits we did with DD and just give him what he wants whenever he screams. I want him to start to work out he can't scream and carry on and get his way. We are just getting DD out of this stage and she's 4.5.

WWYD? Would it depend where you are (out or at home) or would you be consistent even if you are out and get disapproving looks from the entire cafe!?

Oh and it was you run of the mill cheap and cheerful huge cafe aimed at all kids of families - not a small venue or proper restaurant (if that makes a difference to what you'd do)

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would pop him on a chair and be done with the high chair.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016),Mod-Wise Enough  (16-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always came prepared with toys and food and when that wasn't enough then yes DH or I would take him out for a walk , at 2 they don't know how to sit still and to be honest they really shouldn't have to - we always made sure we went out at appropriate times ( so not too late and always after he's had a nap) at that age we did take DS out many times but never stayed as long as we do now as that age is tricky! When it was time to eat ( either at home or out) it's straight back in the high hair, once he had finished eating then yes he can get out at home , in a restaurant we used to just play pass the kid ( especially if grandparents were with us!) or let him sit on our laps

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016),binnielici  (16-10-2016),Fi Poledancer  (18-10-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you bring anything with you for him to do like drawing, toys, books or an iPad? I think it's pretty normal for toddlers to resist being in a high chair and it's not really always an option to let them walk around even with supervision. You may as well stay home.. But if you have to be out, I suggest lots of distractions. And also order his food as soon as you get there before even looking at the adult menu, just so you can get him fed (and distracted and satisfied) ASAP. This is what we did. Now it's a lot easier with our younger one almost 3, they behave ok in cafes and restaurants but still have their limits. So we try to keep it short.. Max an hour, if that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I always came prepared with toys and food and when that wasn't enough then yes DH or I would take him out for a walk , at 2 they don't know how to sit still and to be honest they really shouldn't have to - we always made sure we went out at appropriate times ( so not too late and always after he's had a nap) at that age we did take DS out many times but never stayed as long as we do now as that age is tricky! When it was time to eat ( either at home or out) it's straight back in the high hair, once he had finished eating then yes he can get out at home , in a restaurant we used to just play pass the kid ( especially if grandparents were with us!) or let him sit on our laps
    All of this. Also as we didn't eat out often when kids were that age I would usually feed them dinner/lunch before we left and order dessert for them. This was brought out with our dinner/lunch. Usually gives you enough time to eat your meal!

Edit - and. I definitely would not force them to sit in a chair. I think that's an unreasonable expectation for a 2 year old.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016),Sonja  (16-10-2016),SookiLala  (17-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 2.5 years old. He is a live wire and so headstrong. DF and I dread going out to dinner. We've given up on the highchair. It's now sitting on a chair. We take cars, crayons, paper, iPad and absolutely anything else you can think of.
    We do bribe him lol we went to dinner on Thursday night and bribed ds with getting an ice cream afterwards. It was good. He behaved. Had a couple of moments but we also went early and we're finished dinner and ice cream within an hour.
    In saying that without a doubt it won't be so nice next time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I would let him explore until his food arrived. Then distract with dessert. Or go to places that have an enclosed playground.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is he in a chair? I would not let a child just sit and scream in a restaurant. One of us would take him outside and let him walk around and take turns.
    We use to have washable colouring in books for when we were out...it was great. Took up no room, could be used time and time again, and provided lots of entertainment. We also always asked for kids meals to be brought out with the adult meals...that way we all ate at once.
    At home, I'd be a bit more persistent. But there would be no playing with toys at meal times...meal times are for being at the table...whether they eat or not is irrelevant. It's about forming a habit (I had fussy eaters, this was advised to us by a paed dietician), so he could sit in a chair, or in a highchair...but he would be at the table.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So it was just when he was in the high chair? My DS always hated high chairs (unlike DD who seems to be fine so far).

For me, I would not put him in the chair unless he was eating. Even now with DS I bring some toys and stuff but if he gets bored (he always does) one of us takes him for a walk. Which sucks as you miss out on conversation etc but I just think that age is a little too young to expect them to sit still for so long.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would not let him sit in the chair and scream.

distraction, food, walk, play etc all good. Yes it might get into bad habits a little, but dining out with the whole family isnt the time to be trying to teach him to sit in the chair.

Perhaps have some meals at home where he can sit in the high chair and give him things to do/play with etc so he can do it when if he cries and makes noise it wont bother others so much.

its hard trying to get a 2 yr old to fit in with everyone

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-10-2016)