+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS starts prep (qld) next year. He was technically meant to start this year but we held him back because he wasn't ready to go last year. Best decision ever, he is so excited and can write his name and identify colours now. Didn't have those basics last year but we are so much more comfortable with him starting prep now even though he's going to be 6 in April.

Our orientation finished 2 weeks ago and was fantastic. 10 week program of attending prep for 2hr blocks once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, that's an impressive amount of orientation @Candiceo, we only had two hours on one day which I don't think is enough for the Teachers nor kiddies to get a 'feel' of each other or the place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Do you have to stay there for those sessions? If not then it's not an issue, but if so I guess I'd get the 2 year old babysat (if it's an option).
    Yes, parents are expected to stay for them. The first is stay and play. The second parents are invited to a morning tea to meet the principal and the third has an info session on preparing for school, school banking and uniforms. The fourth one after they have been at school from 9.15-12.30 we are also invited to a picnic after the session.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    My Ds turns 5 on 11th Feb! So far he's enrolled and we have orientation on Monday! We're in Vic.
    Good luck! I'm leaning more towards sending my DS. He's taught himself initial sounds and is now working out how to read three digit numbers. I am concerned that if I hold him back he will be bored doing another year of preschool. All of a sudden he's just ready to learn! His phonemic awareness has really kicked in and it's all happened really suddenly.

Let me know how your son goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi 🏻 hope you do not mind me joining in. My DS who is my first child will be starting next year.

I'm not entirely convinced he is ready however unfortunately with his birthday I don't have any choice... I am having anxiety about it though....

We have finished week 3 of orientation and now we wait to start. I have purchased the uniform but will wait a bit closer to get the shoes - I have been told not to wait too long as his uniform is brown shoes....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have weekly transition visits starting next Monday - eep!

I still haven't completed the required paperwork. Still haven't bought one item of uniform either. I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Good luck! I'm leaning more towards sending my DS. He's taught himself initial sounds and is now working out how to read three digit numbers. I am concerned that if I hold him back he will be bored doing another year of preschool. All of a sudden he's just ready to learn! His phonemic awareness has really kicked in and it's all happened really suddenly.

Let me know how your son goes
    Thanks, my son is always asking "what does that say?" when he sees signs or anything written anywhere!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Orientation in the morning! It's stay and play, she's a confident kid, I'm sure she will be absolutely fine, but attending makes it one more step towards actually happening and I'm in denial about that still.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    DD also has her next one in the morning. Her kindy is going to take her there. They're apparently going to the music room this time, DD will love that!!

I'm excited she's starting next year but also nostalgic that she's not a baby or a toddler or a pre-schooler anymore and now I'm out the other side so to speak, I can look back at all of the wonderful times and forget the hard times.

Everyone keeps asking me if I've bought her uniforms yet, but I'd rather wait until Christmas and New Years' is over then get into the excitement of starting school. But I feel like I'm leaving it too late given all of the questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DD has orientation every Wednesday morning (will increase to all day soon), and last week I stood there for a little while to watch the class, until she turned around and said "Go now, go shopping!" and gestured with her hands like 'go away'....haha. I took the hint and got out of there. She was disappointed to see me when I got back at 11:45am! She's so excited to start full time, and definitely ready.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-11-2016),Green Cheese  (15-11-2016)