+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Aww so glad school is going great for DS @Mod-Degrassi. Isn't it amazing how fast they adjust and learn in such little time? I bet DS loves getting his little groove on at the disco next week!
    DD4 has been catching every virus possible and missed a few days of school but she's still thriving. They brought home readers last week, it's so amazing to hear her read. She's caught onto it so fast, love all the Phonics they teach first that help with this though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Aww so glad school is going great for DS @Mod-Degrassi. Isn't it amazing how fast they adjust and learn in such little time? I bet DS loves getting his little groove on at the disco next week!
    DD4 has been catching every virus possible and missed a few days of school but she's still thriving. They brought home readers last week, it's so amazing to hear her read. She's caught onto it so fast, love all the Phonics they teach first that help with this though.
    It really is amazing - it's like they mature overnight! Shame your DD has been ill, but it doesn't sound like it's impacted her at school which is positive.

DS is quite the dancer, so hopefully he'll pull out some of his signature moves

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD has been loving school so far although these last few weeks she has been exhausted, I'm holding onto hope that it is just end of term and the holidays will help. It's amazing to hear her reading words, she has come so far with recognising letters and genuinely gives an effort to reading each night. Holidays start tomorrow afternoon here, we have a pretty quiet holidays.

Earlier this week we had the athletics carnival and I went to watch for a little. It was so cute, they had these little hurdles and were throwing vortex balls and running a relay with ribbons. She was most excited about getting to go on a bus though lol. It was a perfect introduction, I thought if it was too competitive she might get upset but she really enjoyed it.

She also received an award last week for being quiet during relaxation/meditation time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (30-03-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (30-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey, my son is doing ok. Academically I'm going to boast and say he's at the top of his class, however he's struggling with sitting still and friendships. The teacher said they usually settle more mid year but my son is a feb baby (turned 5), so I'm worried he wasn't ready socially for school :-(

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time school starters 2017 chat thread!

How are all the first timers doing so far? Half way through the year already!!! Crazy!
    Last edited by witherwings; 23-06-2017 at 18:04. Reason: Grammar 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    The year is definitely whizzing by. DD has been fine, but in the last few weeks, she's been a bit sad at drop off.
    @2BlueBirds, my DD sounds a lot like yours - at the top of the class academically, but doesn't have any real friends. The only playdates she's had are ones that we have organised. No-one has invited her. The teacher says she works well with the other kids in class, but navigating friendships seems a bit hard for her.

On the bright side, she LOVES the work. Today was her day for news and she's been practising her presentation all week. She was so excited about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    How are all the first timers doing so far? Half way through the year already!!! Crazy!
    My DD is going great guns with learning, she really seems to love reading and writing and her enthusiasm for learning is encouraging.

It's early days as far as finding true friendships, I think. Very normal for them to not have a best friend etc at this age. As long as she seems happy I'm happy. If I ever have concerns I just ask the teacher straight up. It's a tiny rural school with only 26 students so the teachers are very approachable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    So-so here. DD has days where she doesnt want to go to school. But once she's there she enjoys herself. She loves after-school care, so much so that I get in trouble if I pick her up too early LOL.

She's loving maths, science, arts and PE. She's good at public speaking. Struggling with literacy but both her teacher and I think she'll get there. We're not too worried

I was really happy with her report card - she's trying her best and has settled in as a friendly classmate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    She loves after-school care, so much so that I get in trouble if I pick her up too early LOL.
    That's so funny - my DD asked me last week if she could go to after-school care. Each afternoon after school, I normally take her and DD2 out somewhere fun - park, beach, aquarium, museum, wherever they want to go. And she wants to go to after school care!! So I figured that would be fine and she went on Thursday. Like you, I also got into trouble for picking her up too early! I'm hoping that after school care might be a way to make some friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS has well and truly exceeded our expectations with school.

We had a meeting on Thursday with his teacher/head teacher/principal/school counsellor to discuss his progress (he's in a support class for children with additional needs). They are so happy with him - academically he's thriving and his behaviour has been wonderful.

He's going to start spending time in a mains.tream class next term to see how he adapts to being in a larger class. At this stage, the only concern is that he needs to be redirected to stay on task as his attention span isn't great.

We really want DS to stay at this school, so we will have to move into the catchment area in the near future. Just hoping we can find a nice home to rent

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-07-2017)