+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD2 starts Big school on Wednesday. Today I have her all to myself though as DD1 is back to school and DS goes to preschool.
    Would love to do something fun but it is going to be too hot for her idea of fun (park, beach, pool). Might just have to have snuggles and a movie in the ac.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD started today! She was fine. I was fine
    I'm a little disappointed that she doesnt have any of her friends in her class. She's a really friendly kid which is why she's been separated because she should make new ones. What they dont see is how anxious she gets at home about her friends But she will make new ones!

I am pleased to see she is seated near the front of the class. She has trouble listening so needs to be closer to pay attention.

I nearly always do lunch boxes in the morning @A-Squared. Especially sandwiches.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-01-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (31-01-2017),witherwings  (31-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    15 years ago today my youngest started school.. I remember it so clearly

Thinking of all the mums as they begin this journey .. it's such a huge milestone !

Hoping all the little ones settle in well .

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-01-2017),amyd  (30-01-2017),Happymum2  (30-01-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (31-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I hadn't thought of it until today, I can't bare the thought of her being lonely or having no one to play with at school. I hope that's never the case, but I can't help but worry.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time school starters 2017 chat thread!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I hadn't thought of it until today, I can't bare the thought of her being lonely or having no one to play with at school. I hope that's never the case, but I can't help but worry.
    I always had social issues growing up. Apparently once when I was in first grade, my mother asked me what I did at school and I told her all the things I did in class. Then she asked what I did at lunch and my reply was "walked around with my arms folded looking sad". Apparently that's all I had done for 1.5years. I was terrified when my eldest started that he would be like that. He wasn't thankfully. But it's definitely a worry for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Help!
    I just put dd's leather school shoes on her to break them in a bit, and they left black marks on my hands and on her socks.
    Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Help!
    I just put dd's leather school shoes on her to break them in a bit, and they left black marks on my hands and on her socks.
    Is there a way to stop this?
    I'm not sure sorry.

Does she have to wear white socks? Maybe you could get her black socks or another colour that's in her uniform?

How did everyone's first days go?

DD had a good day but was pretty cranky when I picked her up and she had a play after school. But I think it was more so because it was so so humid today and she was sweaty and barely ate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    How is everyone feeling?
    Nervous?
    Excited?
    I'm excited and so is DS but I'm also a bit anxious about the timing of things, having to prepare lunches every day and organising him to get to school... I'm one of those people who like to plan ahead, and I feel very out of my depth right now. But of course, i know it will all fall into place quickly and become part of our daily routine..

He's starting on Thursday. We have the best start assessment tomorrow.

My only worry is that he won't get along with other children because he can be quite bossy and he always has to be "the winner". Is anyone else's child like this? It drives me insane. I can imagine other kids won't like it much (his 3 yr old brother certainly doesn't).

But he does have some friends from childcare starting with him, so at least he'll know some people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I'm excited and so is DS but I'm also a bit anxious about the timing of things, having to prepare lunches every day and organising him to get to school... I'm one of those people who like to plan ahead, and I feel very out of my depth right now. But of course, i know it will all fall into place quickly and become part of our daily routine..

He's starting on Thursday. We have the best start assessment tomorrow.

My only worry is that he won't get along with other children because he can be quite bossy and he always has to be "the winner". Is anyone else's child like this? It drives me insane. I can imagine other kids won't like it much (his 3 yr old brother certainly doesn't).

But he does have some friends from childcare starting with him, so at least he'll know some people.
    Hey! Good to see you around! How's bubba??

My DD isn't competitive, she can be quite demanding though in that she wants people to do things her way.

What is the best start assessment? I've never heard of it but I think this is the second or third time I've seen it in this thread.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (01-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    My only worry is that he won't get along with other children because he can be quite bossy and he always has to be "the winner". Is anyone else's child like this? It drives me insane.
    My son kind of is. He isn't bossy per se but he is a big sore loser. The best example of this is running races. He almost always loses, despite being very fast, because he can't help but keep looking behind him to make sure he is winning. And then he will trip over. Happens all the time. He can't do after school sport (preschoolers were welcome to it) at the school as he just screams and carries on and will eventually have a meltdown and run off. We are working on it with his OT but it will always be there I assume.
    Even at home, he cannot handle losing.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What is the best start assessment? I've never heard of it but I think this is the second or third time I've seen it in this thread.
    From my understanding, it's a basic test to see where you child sits in different subjects with the idea that the teachers know where to focus their attention most etc.

My son starts next Tuesday and I think his Best Start is the day after that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (01-02-2017)