+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Yeah that is something at the back of my mind. DH does pass the hospital on his way to work, but it would require him to make a slight detour. It's more just trying to work out when to think about these things!
    I'd start looking now that for sure. Even if DH lets you take a year off which he should as you guys have had a long journey to get to this point. Start of with 1 day a few months before you go back to work so that way you can have a me day aswell

Thanks
    Reviews
    I concur with getting daycare close to home. If you have a baby that hates the car, driving is horrible for all concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Mamasupial, asking because you're in the know... how can I find out info about my local child care centres to work out if it's a good one or not? Or is it just a matter of put names down at all and then see what comes up and take Bub there for a trial day before committing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    You can look up their rating/assessment however I wouldn't go solely on that as so much can change after you get ratings done.

Different times of year are easier to get in. End of year/beginning of year are best.

You can't do a trial day but you can visit, walk around the centre, have your child participate in activities for an hour or so.

I'll go back and read your op

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah a PP said earlier beginning of year is easier, but have finally worked out my Mat leave and I won't be going back to work until beginning of July 2018. Seems a waste putting Bub in for 5-6 months when I'll be at home.

I was looking at one just before and it said they can do a trial day (where you and Bub both go) so maybe that's just centre specific.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'd definitely put your name down at a few places. You can always turn offers down.

I personally try to avoid the big companies as they can have high staff turn over.

We chose ours simply for the educators that were there as that was my main concern. I didn't choose for the program, equipment eye as my girls come to my centre at 15 months.

I'd look at one that has an approved kindergarten with a teacher too.

I think the things that concern you are the things that you look at in a centre. Some people want up to date equipment and look at centre's with online programs so you can log in at work and see what your Bub is up to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow this is so confusing. I've been given some pointers by a friend, but most places don't give away a lot on their websites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Yeah a PP said earlier beginning of year is easier, but have finally worked out my Mat leave and I won't be going back to work until beginning of July 2018. Seems a waste putting Bub in for 5-6 months when I'll be at home.

I was looking at one just before and it said they can do a trial day (where you and Bub both go) so maybe that's just centre specific.
    In south Australia we had a new school system put in place a couple of years ago where they now only have 1 primary school intake at the start of the year - not sure if QLD is the same? This had a knock on effect to childcare here as many kids needed to stay in childcare longer til they could start school.
    With my childcare center (ridiculous wait list) they have an intake at the start of the year and they only take children during the year if someone leaves (rare!). I intended to go back to work 2 days a week in July last year when dd was 12 months but got offered a place starting end of January and if I didn't take it then I wouldn't get in at all. I ended up taking it and this enabled me to start dd in childcare VERY slowly with visits and short days from 7 months old and I went back to work 10 hours a week which was ok. It worked well for us and dd is in an amazing center - the wait list can be over 2 years so I really couldn't say no!
    In terms of looking for a centre I think it's a matter of visiting places and getting a feel for the director and assistant directors/room leaders and staff. Look at the physical environment inside and play spaces outside. Think of where you could imagine your child going for an extended time as the last thing you want is to chop and change. I would personally favour community/independent centres over the big chains, they just seem a bit personal and business orientated. My dd goes to a community center attached to the university I work at.
    I wouldn't be waiting for trial days. I'd put your name down now (if you haven't already) at as many places as you can that you're comfortable with especially if you want a mid-year entry date.
    Other things you can ask about are food provision (do they supply and if so what nutritional aims do they work with), fees for holidays/sick days/public holidays, any centre closures eg Xmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good point @gingermillie. I hadn't thought of that. I would assume that there is only the one intake for school in Qld, but I've never thought about it. This is a whole new world for DH and I haha.

Trouble is as well is that DH and I have been talking about moving house. I've wanted to move before baby, DH not til next year. He's suddenly on board with moving before Bub so not even sure where we will end up which doesn't actually help when looking for child care centres!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In some areas, it's very much a 'seller's' market for childcare... they pick you, rather than you pick them!

Some have open days. But I'd just put your name down at lots of places now ( between where you think you'll be living and work) and check them out in more detail if you are offered a place.

We had a spot come up at one place, and took it, even though i wasn't back at work for a while. Didn't want to miss a spot! It was really good having that slower transition.

Good luck!