+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 271
  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    A quick sidetrack...Sonja, have you seen the "Will and Grace" episode that was just filmed in support of Clinton/opposition of Trump? On YouTube...VERY funny.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Not yet

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,244
    Thanks
    6,365
    Thanked
    17,643
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I worry for my daughter too. It's like sand bagging against a constant flood And it isn't so much Bec is skinny (although I think she and others like her build unobtainable goals for many females) it's simply how consumed with her appearance and physicality she is. I want my daughter to define herself by her intelligence, her internal value. I want her to aspire to be a dr, an author, a scientist. Not to define herself by her weight or what brand of bikinis she is selling.

    And this is really what my concerns over not just Judd, but lots of 'celeb's like her are.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    clb84  (02-10-2016)

  4. #133
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default For those not sure about having a third....

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I worry for my daughter too. It's like sand bagging against a constant flood And it isn't so much Bec is skinny (although I think she and others like her build unobtainable goals for many females) it's simply how consumed with her appearance and physicality she is. I want my daughter to define herself by her intelligence, her internal value. I want her to aspire to be a dr, an author, a scientist. Not to define herself by her weight or what brand of bikinis she is selling.

    And this is really what my concerns over not just Judd, but lots of 'celeb's like her are.
    Why can't a woman care about her appearance and be intelligent? As a working lawyer I consider myself fairly bright but also love fashion makeup and design. I wear a lot of designer clothes but still contribute to charities and volunteer.

    Why can't women do both ie aspire to be a scientist and also like her own appearance? Do they have to be mutually exclusive?

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (02-10-2016),atomicmama  (03-10-2016),bezzy  (02-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-10-2016)

  6. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,344
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently went to a conference called "Resilient Kids", and one of the speakers was a lady called Susan Maclean. She is an ex-Police-woman from Victoria, and gave a presentation on "Cyber-Issues and Kids". I loved her; she was a no-bullsh!t lady with a lot of very real experience in the potentially very damaging area of social media and children. She has a book called "Texts, Sexts and Selfies", which I am yet to read, but looks very interesting.

    Her main point?...Don't underestimate the damage social media can do to your kids in their formative years.

    Yes, Sonja you are old enough to have a professional career and be interested in fashion. But the influence of the selfie, such as the skeletal-bikini one posted earlier of Judd, terrifies me.

    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (02-10-2016),Gentoo  (02-10-2016)

  8. #135
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default For those not sure about having a third....

    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I recently went to a conference called "Resilient Kids", and one of the speakers was a lady called Susan Maclean. She is an ex-Police-woman from Victoria, and gave a presentation on "Cyber-Issues and Kids". I loved her; she was a no-bullsh!t lady with a lot of very real experience in the potentially very damaging area of social media and children. She has a book called "Texts, Sexts and Selfies", which I am yet to read, but looks very interesting.

    Her main point?...Don't underestimate the damage social media can do to your kids in their formative years.

    Yes, Sonja you are old enough to have a professional career and be interested in fashion. But the influence of the selfie, such as the skeletal-bikini one posted earlier of Judd, terrifies me.

    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Which is why my daughter won't have social media until she's in high school. At the earliest.

    I'm going to a protective behaviours Worksop this month at my girls school on this topic. Trust me it scares the --- out of me.

    All selfies are terrifying.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (02-10-2016)

  10. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,244
    Thanks
    6,365
    Thanked
    17,643
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why can't a woman care about her appearance and be intelligent? As a working lawyer I consider myself fairly bright but also love fashion makeup and design. I wear a lot of designer clothes but still contribute to charities and volunteer.

    Why can't women do both ie aspire to be a scientist and also like her own appearance? Do they have to be mutually exclusive?
    But there is a difference between caring about your appearance and defining yourself by it.

  11. #137
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But there is a difference between caring about your appearance and defining yourself by it.
    Agree. But I don't particularly want my daughter to define herself by her career either. I did that for many years until I had kids and bam my career disappeared. I don't define myself by either.

    I just want my kids to be happy. Honestly in my experience I'd prefer it didn't come from their appearance or what they do for a living. I'd rather it be by their actions and what makes them happy.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (02-10-2016),delirium  (02-10-2016),gingermillie  (02-10-2016),harvs  (02-10-2016)

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,158
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    1,861
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All I saw in the pic was a happy family !

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (02-10-2016),littleriv  (02-10-2016),michellead  (02-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-10-2016)

  15. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I actually feel bad for the kids (and I appreciate that carries with it an inherent judgment). They have no choice in whether they're photos are splashed all over the Internet. I often wonder how the kids of the generation will be as adults when so much of their lives are public.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (02-10-2016)

  17. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,147
    Thanks
    998
    Thanked
    3,239
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This may be long and rambled and off the original topic but I think this is important.

    Social media. It is not going anywhere. Many here have expressed not liking it/not knowing what to do. I want to address some aspects of it.

    What is social media and how does it work? Well the point of social media is another form of communication. This communication can be private between select people - or more public. But this is the important bit. Behind every social media account is a person. Social media is a way of communication. Communication is face to face. Over the phone. And now - over the internet.

    The internet thing is fairly new when it comes to communication. We got it and quite frankly had no idea WTF to do - how to act. The 2nd generation is now using it. But has not been told 'how' to use it (I will explain what I mean soon).

    I will take the current person/topic as my example. A picture on IG is posted of 2 new additions to the family. The person chose to share this photo - great! We now have responses on here ranging from 'cute babies' to 'she has had work done'. The reasoning behind us giving our opinion is 'well she put it out there'.

    So, I will give this same example a different way. You meet Chris or Bek outside school/dinner/party/on the street. They show you the same pic. What will you see? What would you say? Would you say 'you have had work done' or 'you're too skinny' or 'yucky' or even 'you're a knob for showing this'?

    Would you say 'nice family' or nothing and then go to your friends with the above comments?

    If you think it is mean/off/bad/wrong to do the above the same applies to social media.

    For those that then day 'but I don't know this person so I can criticise them' - or 'they are posting bikini pics so they deserve criticism' - do you go to someone walking on the beach and tell them they look yuck/wrong/inappropriate?

    Which brings me to another point. We need to learn about social media. Our kids need to be taught how to use social media - not just what they post with pics etc but how they interact with everyone.

    Because somewhere along the line we forgot that we are still interacting with PEOPLE. And thay people have feelings. And that the same communication 'rules' apply whether it is face to face, in the phone, in writing on a letter or over the internet on social media.

  18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (02-10-2016),besha  (02-10-2016),binnielici  (02-10-2016),Chippa  (02-10-2016),Elijahs Mum  (02-10-2016),Full House  (02-10-2016),gingermillie  (02-10-2016),Green Cheese  (02-10-2016),harvs  (02-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-10-2016),michellead  (02-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-10-2016),Shoopuf  (02-10-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-10-2016),Sonja  (02-10-2016)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›