+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 271
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    8
    Reviews
    0
    Geez, I hope no one on here is a friend of mine in real life considering my recent birth pics had me wearing mascara...at 6 am no less! I had a full face of make up (because I like it) while doing appointments before going into a spontaneous labour a few weeks early. Most of the foundation came off but my trusty water proof mascara didn't budge so my birth pics are rather glamorous. Ha! I'd be devastated to hear anyone, friend or stranger claiming that I cared more about my looks or was vain.

    Who honestly cares if Judd has make up on or not? I can almost guarantee that if she had looked exhausted, hair a mess, smudged make up and no filter that there would be a group of women shrieking in glee and sharpening their claws over how bad she looked. Poor woman is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coco babies For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (02-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (02-10-2016)

  3. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,246
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,670
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by coco babies View Post
    Geez, I hope no one on here is a friend of mine in real life considering my recent birth pics had me wearing mascara...at 6 am no less! I had a full face of make up (because I like it) while doing appointments before going into a spontaneous labour a few weeks early. Most of the foundation came off but my trusty water proof mascara didn't budge so my birth pics are rather glamorous. Ha! I'd be devastated to hear anyone, friend or stranger claiming that I cared more about my looks or was vain.

    Who honestly cares if Judd has make up on or not? I can almost guarantee that if she had looked exhausted, hair a mess, smudged make up and no filter that there would be a group of women shrieking in glee and sharpening their claws over how bad she looked. Poor woman is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
    I think you've entirely missed the point on several levels.

  4. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My first post in this thread was about air brush and photo shop. If people don't think that is used the you're living in fantasy land.

    Also, I couldn't care less if someone wants to put make up on for birth photos but I don't think anyone can believe that is what she looked like straight after birth...
    Given the original photo says that the babies were born lunchtime today then no they are not post birth photos. I didn't she was claiming they were?

  5. #124
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,811
    Thanks
    1,047
    Thanked
    2,271
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just wanted to comment on the thoughts that some (including me) are being judgmental of her. That she may be a member etc.

    I think we need to remember she is putting herself out there. No that doesn't mean she or any celeb deserves nasty comments. But it does mean people are going to discuss and critique her. She clearly is happy to share lots of intimate photos of her life, including the million duck face 'I just happened to be lying around in these $300 bikinis, spray tanned in a face full of make up' pics. Which is fine. But sharing your life some much (and I argue so one dimensionally) is going to garner discussion.

    As to her being a member. I think just about every topic or news worthy story could be said the same thing. Every thread could be potentially upsetting someone out there. Do we shut down every single discussion?

    I also think it's really important to point this out - my real objection to her isn't her personally. It's the message she sends women and young girls. It's easy to get bogged down on the superficial argument here that members are just being catty and jealous, when the issue is far deeper and more important than that.

    And ironically the assertion that any criticism of another female is catty, nasty and only founded in jealousy is kind of nasty in itself. Bc it reduces women to not being allowed to engage in meaningful conversation.
    This is very simplified. Social media is everything these days in terms of making money and being relevant. She probably has a PR person that helps her on things like Instagram. If she didn't have decent online presence she wouldn't be getting the work she is. She makes money online buy promoting product and that leads to further work. If she is wearing $300 bikini then it's likely product placement, no company is going to work with someone who is not seen as flawless. Now we can argue about whether it's right or wrong all day long but that's the reality. So many young women are making a bomb online doing similar things.

    I don't actually see her as a bad influence in fact I would much rather have DD follow her then the Kardashians or other celebrities who forget their clothes when they leave the house.

  6. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,246
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,670
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    This is very simplified. Social media is everything these days in terms of making money and being relevant. She probably has a PR person that helps her on things like Instagram. If she didn't have decent online presence she wouldn't be getting the work she is. She makes money online buy promoting product and that leads to further work. If she is wearing $300 bikini then it's likely product placement, no company is going to work with someone who is not seen as flawless. Now we can argue about whether it's right or wrong all day long but that's the reality. So many young women are making a bomb online doing similar things.

    I don't actually see her as a bad influence in fact I would much rather have DD follow her then the Kardashians or other celebrities who forget their clothes when they leave the house.
    Yep I get all that. I'm just not a fan of it.

  7. #126
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    1,429
    Thanked
    3,649
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    There's so much more to Instagram though than selfies. I follow people who have causes that I want to know more about (eg clean water), design forums for ideas about our recent home build, the US presidential debate (so I can be angry before 5am ) and many food threads for cooking ideas.

    My Instagram feed makes me feel good. Anyone with a selfie gets canned pretty quickly.
    I'm sure it's not all selfies and photoshop...but it is well known for it, not being on instagram or any other form of social media means I don't see it...so for those who find it hard to avoid, it's easy to do so if you don't engage in social media

  8. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'm sure it's not all selfies and photoshop...but it is well known for it, not being on instagram or any other form of social media means I don't see it...so for those who find it hard to avoid, it's easy to do so if you don't engage in social media
    Agree and I'm not on Facebook for the same reason. I'm very particular about Instagram though and have found I really enjoy it as an escape but at the same time I get something from it.

    I also have girls growing up in this world. I have had my head in the sand on social media but now I've got a very savvy 11 year old I need to know.

  9. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post

    I don't actually see her as a bad influence in fact I would much rather have DD follow her then the Kardashians or other celebrities who forget their clothes when they leave the house.
    I certainly don't want my daughter following someone that skeletal, and aspiring to be like that.

    My daughter is 3 and aspires to be like Dora the Explorer, but I am not deluding myself that the potentially devastating "disease" of social media isn't going to affect her soon.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    There's so much more to Instagram though than selfies. I follow people who have causes that I want to know more about (eg clean water), design forums for ideas about our recent home build, the US presidential debate (so I can be angry before 5am ) and many food threads for cooking ideas.

    .
    A quick sidetrack...Sonja, have you seen the "Will and Grace" episode that was just filmed in support of Clinton/opposition of Trump? On YouTube...VERY funny.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

  11. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I certainly don't want my daughter following someone that skeletal, and aspiring to be like that.

    My daughter is 3 and aspires to be like Dora the Explorer, but I am not deluding myself that the potentially devastating "disease" of social media isn't going to affect her soon.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is hard. My eldest is skeletal. She is 11 years old, about 160cm and weighs 25kg. She eats like a horse and is very athletic. But she's very thin.

    I don't want her following anyone ever but would I rather she follow someone who looks like her and is proud or someone like a Kardashian who is all surgery and self hate?

    I'd love to keep my head in the sand but I know I can't. I don't know the answer to this by the way.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Melbourne Natural Medicine ClinicLeading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›