If you read back over the last thread (#13) you will find many of the answers you are looking for - I'd also recommend having a look at the clinic websites (Google IVF clinics in South Africa) along with the donor agency sites (main ones include gift ov life, aBabySA and nurture) - they are packed with info.
Im heading over in December and this will be my first visit as an egg recipient so I'm sure some of the other ladies who have been can help you with your questions re clinics, Valium etc.
Your doctor here can prescribe you with something safe to help you relax if you are nervous about taking Valium with an embryo on board.
Ive been to Cape Town twice, for several weeks. It's one of my favourite cities. Like many other countries, SA certainly has dodgy districts, but plenty of safe areas too. You would be surprised how similar to Australia it feels in some parts. And Table Mountain and the beaches are breathtaking.
You don't need a special visa for SA.
Not sure if you have a partner - if yes, he will need to come also.
So costs all up including clinic, agency, flights and accomm for two, you will need about $14 to $16,000
wishing you lots of luck
+ Reply to Thread
Results 31 to 40 of 666
05-10-2016 07:13 #31
05-10-2016 13:52 #32
1 i hate flying - Me too!
2. its cheaper with flights than local donor - yes it is
3. can you take valium - yes you can... certain fertility specialists also recommend 10mgs post transfer to relax the uterus... I'll be doing that on my next transfer day.
4. can you fly with embie not yet stuck. i was considering flight straight after ET- you could but not really recommended, better to have a rest day after transfer and then fly home.
5. cape town clinic recommends 12 days in cape town is this necessary did you do it if you are taking your partner with you and using a fresh sperm sample, yes. If you are using donor sperm you might be able to cut it down to 6 days if you can get hold of Gestone in Aus.
6. where to stay - heaps of places - V&A Waterfront is hugely popular and safe... lots of accommodation there and restaurants etc. I stay at the Vineyard near the clinic as it's quiet and I like that.
7. is south africa that dangerous as I hear on tv - stick to the tourist places, don't drive/walk by yourself at night, be sensible and you'll be fine. Cape Town is beautiful.
8. oh gosh there is an 8 quick brain think.........did you go on a tourist visa or medical visa? - Australians don't need a visa, if you are taking your child there are identity requirements (not hard to get)
9. did you use any other clinics how was your experience. Do they require you to stay for 12 days? I've only used CFC as they have the latest technology and are used to dealing with Australians
05-10-2016 16:57 #33
I'm hoping for some advice -
Dr LR's Nurse emailed me last week to say our donor is happy with our requested dates, and she would forward our medical plan 'tomorrow ', but I still don't have the medical plan.
I don't know whether this means I can go ahead and book stuff or if I should wait until she sends the plan..
I've been hassling her a bit and don't want to push the friendship..
05-10-2016 17:12 #34Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2014
I would wait for the plan. Remember the time difference and give it another day.
Also.......just letting you guys know i will be pupo in under 2 hours. Nervous as hell!
05-10-2016 17:48 #35
05-10-2016 18:30 #36
The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:
06-10-2016 12:52 #37
Got my plan
Now I can book things, yeahhh!
And try to work out all the meds
06-10-2016 20:54 #38Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2012
MysticFalls ... My experience with CFC and your questions ...
I like Cape Town immensely - went 3 times by myself and it was fine. I had a rental car so I was able to get around without public transport and would suggest the same to anyone who goes. It also allows you to get out and really enjoy Cape Town and its environs.
CFC 12 days ..... I used Donor Sperm and still needed the 12 days ... in fact I would suggest you need 14 days as the transfer date can and often does, change based on egg collection dates which can vary depending on how the donor is going. There is nothing worse than being worried and trying to change flights - at transfer time you want to be as relaxed as possible IMO. The 12 days is for a scan for you and then all about egg pickup/fertilisation/transfer.
Re cost - both times I went for a fresh cycle, I spent $14k for a very nice holiday and the transfer stuff.
Accom - every time I went I stayed on private holiday rental cottages in Constantia (the wine area about 10 mins drive from CFC). Same cost as hotels etc but you have an entire cottage in the yards of a private house and with security just no room service ! If you are interested, I can provide a couple of things to google.
Nervous flying - sorry can't help you here - I LOVE flying.
07-10-2016 17:19 #39Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2014
08-10-2016 08:20 #40
For those who have been the recipient of a donor egg to create your family, or are in the process of donor egg cycles - I've just started up a thread for people to share their thoughts and decision making processes on Anonymous donations versus Known donations. I am in the process of making this decision at the moment, and to be able to hear people's own story and thoughts about this issue, I'm sure will give me valuable insights that will help me to become comfortable with whatever decision we eventually make. Appreciate everyones thoughts - the thread is here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...did-you-decide
Thank you so much!
By Tahli in forum Egg DonationReplies: 1059Last Post: 27-09-2016, 21:09
By Cathy69 in forum Egg DonationReplies: 1010Last Post: 03-05-2016, 12:30
By January in forum Egg DonationReplies: 1056Last Post: 11-01-2016, 15:32
Maternity ClothesLooking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
Happiness thread.General Chat
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Does conventional IVF produce more boys?pregnancy and babies through IVF
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat