+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm also surveying areas and reviewing escape routes lol in saying that I also mentally plan if there's a zombie epidemic how I would get out of the city and home without being eaten by a walker lol
    I have a zompoc plan in place lmao.

On the serious side, I am not one to generalize or pigeon hole people but I get the irrational fear of 'they could have a bomb' 'he could just pull out a knife and stab me' and its all based on the fear created by not only terrorist actions but media influence. The truth is, if it stops you living then they have succeeded, I can't bring myself to let them win.
    Unless of course if they have risen from the dead to eat me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like PP I think that the goal of terrorists is to create enough fear that people change the way they live. We live in central London, every day I take the tube, most days I'm in Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus, last week we were in Istanbul, Turkey... So no I don't let the threat of terrorist attacks stop me from living.
    Next week DH and I will fly to NYC for the weekend to attend a wedding.
    Interesting topic. Last year at the Winter Wonderland Christmas fair in Hyde park (London) there was barely anyone there, it was really sad on our visit to Turkey the store holders and hotels were all thanking us for travelling to Turkey, the honest hardworking local people are going out of business due to the drop in tourist numbers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I don't like flying, I'm not sure it is specifically terror related, like PP said, that's the aim of "terrorists" after all they want us scared of our way of life. So on one hand, I get stubborn about it and want to keep on truckin', on the other hand the thought of being on a flight that goes wrong and how out of control that would be (I'm a control freak!) is scary enough to me that I generally don't mind that travel is not really on the table for us (3 kids 5 and under and I'm not energetic/crazy enough to consider it. lol).

Statistic realities help me! I.e. the chances of this happening is 00.1% etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

Do I have sneaky fears that are totally illogical and irrational but can't be silenced? Yes although I'm so caught by them I would argue they are neither illogical nor irrational

Are those fears terrorism related? No they're not.

But it doesn't make my fears any less real nor does it make yours less real. I guess @harvs i wonder whether this fear will stop you from enjoying what I expect would be an amazing experience with a friend. Can you put it aside and go and enjoy yourself? I struggle to overcome my particular brand of fear every time we leave the house.

I should have counselling but I don't. I'm a hypocrite so I'll suggest you seek out someone to talk to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

It's not illogical or irrational in my opinion.. It's a real fear, just like any other. A lot of people I think are experiencing PTSD after witnessing various horrible attacks in the media, and it can be crippling. If it's affecting your life that much, you could consider counselling. The truth is, you are so very unlikely to get caught up in an attack on the one occasion you are in Sydney. And being in Sydney doesn't mean there is a greater risk of attack than anywhere else in Australia.

Do I have these same fears? Absolutely not in Australia. Overseas, sometimes. But I have other fears - like often when I'm in my car I have momentary flashes of in my mind of being in a horrific car accident. This started a couple of years ago after I was involved in a car accident with my husband and children overseas. It was a terrifying experience and thankfully no one got hurt, but I keep having these flashes of being in an accident and it makes driving really difficult sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I suspect I am travelling to that open air concert . If it's the one I'm thinking off there would be many escape routes into the water and crowd numbers are limited. If I were a terrorist I would hit up something bigger to be honest. I guarantee if you go you will enjoy yourself.

I admit I'm wary of things like NYE fireworks where it's body to body crowd. I wasn't ten years ago. I guess for me the risk versus the reward is how I decide if I'm going to let it bother me. The effort of battling the city on NYE makes me decide it's not worth it. But my favourite band playing in a magnificent spot? Sign me up baby!

I work in an oil refinery and the thoughts cross my mind what if terrorists come. I have hiding spots picked out. It's not logical and yes I'm more likely to die driving to work. But I guess I want to feel somewhat in control

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can relate to all the experiences mentioned. I feel uneasy going to a popular venue where there is large crowds.

Soon my family and I will be travelling to America, and although I know we will have a ball, I am very anxious about the flight. I know it's going to affect totally enjoying my trip. I know that the anxiety is going to hit me prior to flying out. It's part excitement and not wanting anything to go wrong that triggers my anxiety. Unfortunately my daughter experiences exactly the same thing. She has anxiety so this trip is going to be fun. I'm not surprised she is going through this experience as when I was pregnant with her I had anxiety and depression. When she is experiencing her anxiety, I feel bad that I have passed this on to her. It makes me sad

Some people might say she is probably mimicking you. She's not. I can see the pain in her face. She can't be around crowds and noise when she's feeling anxious (New York is going to be fun).

The best way to describe an anxiety attack is like being on a massive roller coaster that you just want to get off. Your insides are wobbling like jelly. What I have found that helps my daughter and I is taking walnuts and almonds. It contains magnesium and other stuff that calm you down and also helps with the serotonin levels for depression. My herbalist recommended them for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't lie, the thought runs through my head when I'm in packed places, like football games etc. We have a lot of friends going to the grand final this week and I had that cold feeling of dread rush through my body when I thought about it. But, I have horrible anxiety about just about everything.

I haven't stopped it from letting me do anything, but the thought it definitely at the back of my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got other phobias that cause me dramas. While fear of a terror attack isn't one of them, I completely understand how much it can disable you. That said - could you put some strategies in place so that you can go (because even if you do have that nagging fear, you'll probably still have fun, if you can put enough things in place to reassure you. Eg. Have escape routes planned, plan arrival times and departure times. Talk to your friend, even just say it's making you anxious, to help can we please ensure we do x, y, z).

Also, I think we should lose the word irrational when associated with fear. To others it may not make sense, but to the person experiencing it - totally legit. You've got reasons for those fears. Therefore, not irrational. Don't beat yourself up @harvs. It's difficult to manage these sorts of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the escape plan etc. I have a lot of fears because of my anxiety, and I kept using the word "irrational" with my psych and she said exactly what @Tiny Dancer just said - lose the word irrational. I used to be terrified of driving with DD2, I was so convinced we were going to crash and she would die, every time we left the house I would have a panic attack.
    My psych said it wasn't realistic to just stop driving. So we did small things, I would plan routes that I felt more safe on, 70km/hr roads as opposed to major hwys/fwys, her seat was moved to the middle seat as opposed to being next to the door, made sure her seat was professionally installed etc