+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing. What is the name/location of the shop?
    As another poster said, it's Active Feet. They have a few stores around Melbourne and I have stopped having any issues from running once they fitted me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Brooks or Asics for in built support, I also use a sport insole from Foot Logics (plus their half insole in other shoes as I have plantar fasciitis). DD runs and I got her some of their insoles as well and she loves them as she gets no heel pains now. I actually got men's Asics last time and they are awesome for my feet, my foot is narrow but my toes are square.

You will find when you switch to a more supportive shoe that it feels uncomfortable on your feet at first but if it is correcting your gait then a lot of the flow on aches and pains get better (hips, shins, heels, etc.) and you will notice the days you do too much with the wrong shoes on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw the physio today for a totally unrelated matter but mentioned the problem I am having and he had a look at the way I stand and walk and thinks maybe it's coming from the way I I stride when running and also that my current shoes don't support my arch and suggested Nike or new balance or even both and work out which is more comfortable for each exercise and alternate them. I told him my goal is to be able to run a good distance with in 3 years (we want to do the Disney marathon for our 15th anniversary) and he said the shoes he said should be fine to start training and that if I wanted to wait for the podiatrist she only comes to our town monthly and is usually booked way in advance. So not sure if I should wait or get the shoes, what would you do? I can try and see another podiatrist but the closest one is 2.5 hours drive

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never found Nike supportive enough for running. Personally.
    With your arches. My understanding is. You want them to be supported to the point where you're no longer rolling inward when your feet are hitting the ground.

My Physio used his iPhone on slowmo to film me running and walking on a treadmill and then we could see if they were still rolling in.
    If you didn't want to wait for a podiatrist. Could you take someone with you to go shoe shopping to film you in different shoes?

The other thing is. You've given yourself 3 years. If you do wait to see the podiatrist and are fitted with the correct shoes you will see an improvement quite quickly and will be well on the way to reaching your goal within your timeframe I would think.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had nikes before with no problems but that was for mainly kickboxing and weights and I think that's what the physio meant by alternating, using what I know works for those exercises and using new balance for the running. I might get the nikes to continue bootcamp but leave the distance running shoes until I see a podiatrist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (26-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a tricky one, if you buy shoes now you might find your podiatrist will tell you to change them and it will have been a waste of money.

If you wait, it could be months (?) before you see the podiatrist and you will either have to stop doing bootcamp or risk making your shin splints worse if you keep using the shoes you currently have.

Was your Physio more specific than just giving you a brand? Because there are a large range of Nike shoes and not all of them are suitable etc.

Not sure what I would do. Probably call and get on the wait list for your local podiatrist and ask to be considered it there are earlier cancellations. Perhaps you won't need to wait as long as you think.

I do agree with others that Brooks and Asics tend to make more 'supportive' shoes but once again you really need to get fitted properly to ensure its right for your foot type. All arch supports are not created equal. I am guessing if you live remotely there isn't much in the way of well-stocked shoe shops? Definitely don't buy online, you need to try before you buy if possible. But you can research online and get an idea on which ones might be worth trying on etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Training shoes

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    It's a tricky one, if you buy shoes now you might find your podiatrist will tell you to change them and it will have been a waste of money.

If you wait, it could be months (?) before you see the podiatrist and you will either have to stop doing bootcamp or risk making your shin splints worse if you keep using the shoes you currently have.

Was your Physio more specific than just giving you a brand? Because there are a large range of Nike shoes and not all of them are suitable etc.

Not sure what I would do. Probably call and get on the wait list for your local podiatrist and ask to be considered it there are earlier cancellations. Perhaps you won't need to wait as long as you think.

I do agree with others that Brooks and Asics tend to make more 'supportive' shoes but once again you really need to get fitted properly to ensure its right for your foot type. All arch supports are not created equal. I am guessing if you live remotely there isn't much in the way of well-stocked shoe shops? Definitely don't buy online, you need to try before you buy if possible. But you can research online and get an idea on which ones might be worth trying on etc.
    There is one little sports shop that has a decent range of shoes so definitely won't be buying online. He suggested Nike free or Nike Zoom with my stance and stride. I might call the podiatrist and see how long the wait list is then make the call about making the drive to see one.
    Last edited by loodle; 26-09-2016 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *Update*

I had to drive the 2.5 hours yesterday to pick up DD from my Mums and was lucky enough to get into a podiatrist and he recommended 2 shoes for my feet and stride, Adidas for distance and pavement running and reeboks for bootcamp and grass running. So today I went out and bought both now hopefully I won't be in pain when I start back at bootcamp next week! Just trying the shoes on in store and walking and jumping (I must have looked like a complete d!ck) I noticed a big difference

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (01-10-2016),clb84  (01-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had my first bootcamp session for the term and I am happy to report I had no shin pain. Although tomorrow will be the true test because I have to do the beep test.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (04-10-2016),gingermillie  (04-10-2016)