+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pulmonary embolism!! Any experience out there????

I'm writing as a worried friend who has been diagnosed two weeks ago with PE. She has a blood clot on both of her lungs and in quite a lot of pain. She is 22 weeks pregnant with a little girl and has a 2 year old son and 1 year old daughter at home. Not only is she suffering intense anxiety, the physical pain and also the mental anguish that comes with such an illness. I've researched a lot on this subject and sadly cannot reach a lady that has had similar experiences. I'm seeking any advice, stories of personal experiences, support methods, anything that can help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a PE with my second pregnancy at 8 weeks gestation. It was caused by a blood clot that dislodged. My leg had been sore for a few days but I thought it was sore from leg cramps so ignored it. I was on clexane the rest of the pregnancy and my baby was born c-section and was and is perfectly fine. With this third pregnancy (26 weeks) I was on clexane from the bfp.
    Last edited by Amethyst465; 23-01-2017 at 01:02. Reason: Sorry the start was missing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst465 View Post
    I had a PE with my second pregnancy at 8 weeks gestation. It was caused by a blood clot that dislodged. My leg had been sore for a few days but I thought it was sore from leg cramps so ignored it. I was on clexane the rest of the pregnancy and my baby was born c-section and was and is perfectly fine. With this third pregnancy (26 weeks) I was on clexane from the bfp.
    Can you describe the pain you had in you foot? Was there any other symptoms? I have all the symptoms of a dvt in my left foot/leg and a family history of clots but no one can see anything in my leg so they now think I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome but I'm not convinced...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had clots in my lungs when I was 35 weeks pregnant with my DD.
    It was awful, so uncomfortable and painful. I was hospitalised for 5 days and pumped full of drugs.
    I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DVT felt like sore muscles in my calf. It was sore enough to make me limp. I thought it was from severe leg cramps in the previous night but that was coincidence. It was just an overall soreness like I had pulled a muscle or something, not agony but just sore. It was easily picked up by ultrasound in the leg and I was put on clexane injections right away to dissolve the clots and prevent any more. My Dr who looked at my leg wasn't convinced it was a DVT but sent me to ultrasound as a precaution and I'm glad he did. Ultrasound is the way to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst465 View Post
    My DVT felt like sore muscles in my calf. It was sore enough to make me limp. I thought it was from severe leg cramps in the previous night but that was coincidence. It was just an overall soreness like I had pulled a muscle or something, not agony but just sore. It was easily picked up by ultrasound in the leg and I was put on clexane injections right away to dissolve the clots and prevent any more. My Dr who looked at my leg wasn't convinced it was a DVT but sent me to ultrasound as a precaution and I'm glad he did. Ultrasound is the way to go
    Thanks I've actually had 2 ultrasounds and an X-ray on my foot now so I guess there mustn't be anything (which is obviously a good thing) but I still have the symptoms (painful left foot and ankle, swollen left foot, redness in the foot and it's warm).
    I have 3 more days to my c/s so I just hope it goes away after baby is out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Thanks I've actually had 2 ultrasounds and an X-ray on my foot now so I guess there mustn't be anything (which is obviously a good thing) but I still have the symptoms (painful left foot and ankle, swollen left foot, redness in the foot and it's warm).
    I have 3 more days to my c/s so I just hope it goes away after baby is out.
    My mum had similar symptoms from a stress fracture in her foot, doctor initially thought a clot. Doesn't necessarily show up on x-ray either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    My mum had similar symptoms from a stress fracture in her foot, doctor initially thought a clot. Doesn't necessarily show up on x-ray either.
    Thanks but the hospital ruled that out too because I don't have any pain when they touch my foot, it's only when standing and walking. And I never had an incident where I hurt it. I literally went to bed normal one night and woke up the next morning in pain.
    Maybe it really is this Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome... but I don't have he same symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad had the muscle soreness and the dr tried to tell him it was gout but he knew it was different than his previous experiences. He pushed until they gave him an ultrasound but they couldn't find anything in his leg. Luckily the tech said everything he was telling her sounded like a clot and she kept searching, she found it right up in his groin. The pain was presenting in his lower leg so they weren't expecting to find anything so high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had knee surgery and was in a rigid split for a week, before I started getting a heavy feeling and shortness of breath, I mentioned to my partner and he asked if I thought I'd be ok as I was seeing the doctor the following day, however it didn't last that long, at 3.00am that morning I woke unable to breathe, feeling as though I was being stabbed in the chest.

I was rushed to hospital via ambulance and admitted straight away, my blood tests shown I was pregnant, however only about 2 weeks at the time.

They were hesitant to do a lot of test as they could pose harm to the baby, I had a scan on my injured leg which showed a DVT, the whole length of my calf behind my knee down to my ankle.

They said the pains in my chest were likely clots also, broken off from my leg and traveled through heart to lungs, after a lot of testing they rendered no choice but to do the VQ scan which indeed showed 3 x PE, I was on a morphine drip for over a week, and in hospital for 2 weeks, I have been on high doses of clexane 2 x daily and will continue until after the baby is born. I never had any pain in my leg other than the op site, it was the chest pain that made me go to hospital. I still struggle to breathe everyday.