+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I really like the taste of McDonalds.

My parents weren't strict or lax with food but looking back parents of today would think there was too much junk. And I'm not the healthiest but more because I'm an emotional and boredom eater and hate exercise and exercise was never a thing when we were growing up.

Everything in moderation.

I'm the opposite in that I get criticism for my kids eating too much processed food and sugar and hardly any veggies - well hardly anything for that matter. A lot of this is to do with multiple allergies and CMPI in my kids - it has made them fussy, and they're probably fussy by nature too, so on the flip side all of these I don't give sugar or juice or anything out of a packet really hits me where it hurts.

Oh to have kids who didn't have any dietary restrictions and were naturally not fussy!!
    Oh totally - allergies and special needs is totally different

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You certainly don't need to justify your decisions to me, they work for you and they are your kids I suppose this kind of highlights the point I was making in regards to the disconnect between RL and the forum. You feel judged in RL. I feel that on the forum it's those that do give sugar that are judged.

I have one child going into high school another going into upper primary. I'm not questioning your motives (which I believe are entirely good) or decisions. I'm just pointing out that when they are young it's easy to control every thing they eat.

You were fed junk food, your DH wasn't and didn't rebel. I had a very controlling parent in every aspect including food. I did rebel and still to this day associate junk food with rewarding myself. We each are making decisions based on our own experiences. I believe being overly controlling leads to kids not developing their own control over food and making junk food taboo. You had a different experience and are therefore parenting based on that are parenting differently. Which is perfectly fine.
    I agree with you that it's easier to control kids diets when they're little...however the juice thing for us is due to medical reasons...food for us is 80/20. The first 5 years of their life it was more 95/5, and then we relaxed to 80/20...partly because it's too hard to control when they're older. We have a child in highschool...their idea of 80/20 is different to ours, but they are working it out and making conscious decisions some of the time, so we just continue to assist and guide...but that's with food...drinks are still 95/5 and our kids are good with that one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

yadot  (21-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Oh totally - allergies and special needs is totally different
    Sorry, I should have mentioned, my last comment in my post you quoted wasn't aimed at you. Just a general longing to not have to battle food all the time. I'd love to be able to give my kids all natural and low sugar food, but for now it feels that decision is taken away from me a bit while they're so young.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (19-09-2016),witherwings  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really like the taste of McDonalds.

My parents weren't strict or lax with food but looking back parents of today would think there was too much junk. And I'm not the healthiest but more because I'm an emotional and boredom eater and hate exercise and exercise was never a thing when we were growing up.

Everything in moderation.

I'm the opposite in that I get criticism for my kids eating too much processed food and sugar and hardly any veggies - well hardly anything for that matter. A lot of this is to do with multiple allergies and CMPI in my kids - it has made them fussy, and they're probably fussy by nature too, so on the flip side all of these I don't give sugar or juice or anything out of a packet really hits me where it hurts.

Oh to have kids who didn't have any dietary restrictions and were naturally not fussy!!
    We have battled allergies and fussiness with all of our kids. I think for us it's harder now they can eat everything in some ways. So much processed food they couldn't eat before they now can. 😂

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It can be funny the things we focus on with our kids. I'm not a sugar fan (I think refined sugar is one of the most addictive and dangerous substances on the planet) but my real no go for my kids is milk. They aren't allowed cows milk ever. I am dairy free as is DH so my kids never get it. They get watered down juice and the occasional soft drink but I'm almost fanatical in my refusal to let them drink milk.

It's just my thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (27-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It can be funny the things we focus on with our kids. I'm not a sugar fan (I think refined sugar is one of the most addictive and dangerous substances on the planet) but my real no go for my kids is milk. They aren't allowed cows milk ever. I am dairy free as is DH so my kids never get it. They get watered down juice and the occasional soft drink but I'm almost fanatical in my refusal to let them drink milk.

It's just my thing.
    What about things like butter, cream, cheese, anything else with these as ingredients in them? Or is it just no milk for drinking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    What about things like butter, cream, cheese, anything else with these as ingredients in them? Or is it just no milk for drinking?
    Nothing diary at all for me but yes I'm not as strict. Kids don't eat cream and don't really like butter. Cheese is ok but I try and use cows milk alternatives where possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's just my thing.
    Is it for ethical reasons or health reasons? Just curious. My sister is a vegan and said she will not let her (future) kids consume any dairy products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Mainly health. Cows milk doesn't agree with me at all and I'm healthier without it. I find my kids are the same.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (20-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mainly health. Cows milk doesn't agree with me at all and I'm healthier without it. I find my kids are the same.
    So you don't allow your kids to have milk because it doesn't agree with you? How can you be healthier without milk? Milk isn't unhealthy.