+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    Being on a salary, I don't get paid overtime either, so probably why no leave loading
    Eh me too. Work a 60 hr week and get paid for 38 hr. Pretty standard in my industry 🙄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being on a salary, I don't get paid overtime either, so probably why no leave loading
    Eh me too. Work a 60 hr week and get paid for 38 hr. Pretty standard in my industry 🙄

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pay discrepancy - unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not harsh at all witherwings! I respect your input as a fellow accountant, so thanks for taking the time out to respond.

I'm already CA qualified (other bloke is CPA) and I'm not looking to do any further study.

I think I'll just have to suck this one up and get over it.

thanks all for replying, I appreciate the frank responses and feel much better about this issue.
    Honestly, if you feel you are better at your job and you're already qualified, I would seriously consider looking into public practice certificate or at the very least registering as a tax agent and start building up your own client base. You could start with your friends and relatives and go from there. I did this myself about 5 years ago and my client base grew exponentially - friends with business started sending their employees my way, other people were referred to me through friends of friends... So as well as being a practice manager in my family accounting firm and earning a salary, I now have my own firm, and have doubled my income. If you believe you're capable, just go for it. Getting a PPC takes less than a year.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

delirium  (13-09-2016),turquoisecoast  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Honestly, if you feel you are better at your job and you're already qualified, I would seriously consider looking into public practice certificate or at the very least registering as a tax agent and start building up your own client base. You could start with your friends and relatives and go from there. I did this myself about 5 years ago and my client base grew exponentially - friends with business started sending their employees my way, other people were referred to me through friends of friends... So as well as being a practice manager in my family accounting firm and earning a salary, I now have my own firm, and have doubled my income. If you believe you're capable, just go for it. Getting a PPC takes less than a year.
    thanks. tbh I don't think I want to do this kind of work forever. which really just underscores I guess how silly my prior complaining was.

after 10 years in tax I am ready to move on. ideally I'd like to go do a finance role within a company, preferably something within the creative field.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am also a CA and am surprised you can't work this out yourself if you are also a CA...

Let's say you both work 20 hours per week for ease of calculating. Your hourly rate is $39 (rounded) and his hourly rate is $50. He has to pay his super out of the $50 so we need to compare with your rate incl super.

Your rate inc super is $42.70.

Annually ex adj for leave for you - $44,408
    For him - $52,000

Add on your extra 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks sick leave and you are at an annual amount of $49,532

This is also assuming his rate is $50 ex gst per hour and not $50 inc gst which would make you better off.

I have done these calcs on my phone so could be off a tad but I hope this helps you see you aren't that much worse off..
    Last edited by nattie84; 14-09-2016 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nattie84 View Post
    I am also a CA and am surprised you can't work this out yourself if you are also a CA...

Let's say you both work 20 hours per week for ease of calculating. Your hourly rate is $39 (rounded) and his hourly rate is $50. He has to pay his super out of the $50 so we need to compare with your rate incl super.

For him - $52,000

Add on your extra 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks sick leave and you are at an annual amount of $49,532

This is also assuming his rate is $50 ex gst per hour and not $50 inc gst which would make you better off.

I have done these calcs on my phone so could be off a tad but I hope this helps you see you aren't that much worse off..
    I think she said he's now a casual employee earning $50 per hour. So no GST and his super would be on top of this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she said he's now a casual employee earning $50 per hour. So no GST and his super would be on top of this
    Ah sorry missed that part..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nattie84 View Post

For him - $52,000

perhaps if you'd read my post properly you wouldn't mouth off and be so rude?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IMG_1473850915.541551.jpg
    Couldn't help myself...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-09-2016),Wise Enough  (14-09-2016),witherwings  (14-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    perhaps if you'd read my post properly you wouldn't mouth off and be so rude?
    You can still use the same principle I provided and calculate the difference as you have leave and he doesn't... Sorry for trying to help... Guess next time I shouldn't help as its rude..
    Last edited by nattie84; 14-09-2016 at 20:06.