+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,550
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked
    347
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Keeping mosquitos away at night

    How would you keep the mosquitos away from your child's room this season please.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,069
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Apparently mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide when we breathe out. Given its still cold here in Melbourne I haven't had an issue yet, but I did read somewhere about having a fan on to move the carbon dioxide away more quickly.

    Mosquitoes are horrid things.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have 2 kids with mosquito allergies. The only thing I've found that worked were mosquito repellent plug ins that I use overnight when they are at their worst. I get them from the supermarket.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,461
    Thanks
    338
    Thanked
    2,224
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ugly as it looks we got an indoor bug zapper from Bunnings. I don't like the thought of poison etc going off all time (yes I'm paranoid 😁)

    I use vanilla mozzie too. Also plant the mozzie plants outside. Empty water outside etc

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,749
    Thanks
    3,833
    Thanked
    3,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following. I am declaring war on mozzies this summer. We live near a river & bushland and it gets bad especially after rain. We do have fly screens on all doors and windows so don't normally have issues indoors but I really want to make use of our outdoor dining area more this season.

    We have an electric bug zapper (which I am not convinced keeps mozzies & midgies away, more so moths and bugs), one of those refillable plug-in things, citronella coils and sandalwood sticks (kind of like fat incense sticks).

    Has anyone found a good natural repellent? I have found the chemical free ones I have tried to be quite ineffective. And my DS1 attracts mozzies like bees to honey.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,903
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked
    3,072
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, make sure uou don't have stale (or any) water in your yard/house where they can lay eggs etc.

    Otherwise, plug ins is what I have used.

    My mum used to use tea tree or something near our beds when I was young.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I grew up in the tropics and we slept under mosquito nets. They work brilliantly if you want a natural guaranteed solution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,903
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked
    3,072
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Following. I am declaring war on mozzies this summer. We live near a river & bushland and it gets bad especially after rain. We do have fly screens on all doors and windows so don't normally have issues indoors but I really want to make use of our outdoor dining area more this season.

    We have an electric bug zapper (which I am not convinced keeps mozzies & midgies away, more so moths and bugs), one of those refillable plug-in things, citronella coils and sandalwood sticks (kind of like fat incense sticks).

    Has anyone found a good natural repellent? I have found the chemical free ones I have tried to be quite ineffective. And my DS1 attracts mozzies like bees to honey.

    http://www.biome.com.au/739-para-kit...ito-protection

    Tried these (I have not so no idea if any of them work)?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,749
    Thanks
    3,833
    Thanked
    3,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    http://www.biome.com.au/739-para-kit...ito-protection

    Tried these (I have not so no idea if any of them work)?
    No but I have been wondering if those clip on things work, would be good for pram? I think a lot of the wrist bands and stuff are citronella based, I don't find it effective against our qld midgies though. I need to take a trip to the Eco shop and read up on how all these things apparently work...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,903
    Thanks
    961
    Thanked
    3,072
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    No but I have been wondering if those clip on things work, would be good for pram? I think a lot of the wrist bands and stuff are citronella based, I don't find it effective against our qld midgies though. I need to take a trip to the Eco shop and read up on how all these things apparently work...
    I have tried to find what those wristbands etc use. '9 essential oils' is all I get. Secret recipe.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    sunnygirl79  (08-09-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Keeping a child back at school?
    By Urban Tumbleweed in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-11-2015, 06:05
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-11-2015, 20:59
  3. Keeping mozzies away
    By Nafsika in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-11-2015, 20:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›