+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I suppose my point may be that someone that would be great at something if it were a female only league cannot play as a male is better - so they will be chosen. And would the teams be expected to pick x amount of women? So is it then fair or equal for women?

I totally see where you are coming from btw.

I am just happy there is a female league starting. And I do hope that equality will not necessarily come from playing mixed team but they get fair recognition, remuneration and respect.
    I think that women's league is a great initiative too! I love that my DD and DS will see women playing AFL on a regular basis.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-09-2016),KitiK  (04-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I used to play mixed netball against men who were hopeless. I'm goal defence/keeper and I'm 171cm tall and usually a pretty good defender but when playing against men who weren't even good players I had no chance defending against them. The team would just lob the ball and no matter how high I jump, the men just put their arms up to catch it. I was so much more skilled but no match against the men who couldn't even play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the comments! I think maybe I internalised my reaction to it a bit and while probably a little unrealistic, having women recognized (even in their own league) would be nice.

I think since having kids - especially girls, I find myself challenging my own values stereotypes/beliefs/assumptions and feel maybe Id appreciate it if DH thought more about his too before he forms his opinion. 😃