+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,913
    Thanks
    7,758
    Thanked
    6,682
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

    Default WWYD induction?

    Background: my due date for this baby is the 20th (tomorrow) and I'm going with the midwife group practice which is low intervention. My pregnancy is low risk and I'm hoping for a water birth. This is my second baby. My first was 7 days overdue.

    My partner is leaving the country for 5 days on the 29th. My midwife is calling me tomorrow to discuss my options as I'd definitely prefer him to be there for the birth. Hoping a stretch and sweep will work.

    Anyway, what would you do? Opt for a medical induction before the 29th? If so, when? Partner would prefer me to get induced but has said its obviously my choice. He has also said he can cancel the trip which I would prefer him not do as its an excellent opportunity for him.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,014
    Thanks
    4,131
    Thanked
    1,699
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be opting for an induction ASAP, so you've got him around for a little while while you're settling in with your bub.

    I had an induction with my daughter and it was straightforward and had no issues, so I'm not against induction

    Given your daughter was 7 days over due, you could be waiting a while for bub to come on its own

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanks
    5,895
    Thanked
    4,876
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd opt for an induction. Given you would be overdue anyway, the baby would either make its way naturally or you would be induced within a few days anyway.
    Possibly the 25th or 26th? It gives you an opportunity to go naturally, but still leaves a few days for the possibility of slow labour with induction.

    Good luck

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    815
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked
    738
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not have an induction and my husband would cancel his trip. Both of these decisions would be obvious and easy to make for us. Good luck in working out what is right for all 4 of you. X

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

    3cats1pug  (20-08-2016),VicPark  (20-08-2016)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,030
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked
    836
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends... Does being induced mean that you're no longer on the midwife program?
    Will induction mean you can't have a water birth?
    How do you feel about your partner not being there for the birth? Knowing he'll only be gone for 5 days, are we talking somewhere close, so he could potentially be home in a few hours if you went into labour? Or is he flying to the uk where he'd be at least 24 hours until he arrived home?
    How would you all feel if he met his baby for the first time when baby was a few days old?

    What's most important to you?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,913
    Thanks
    7,758
    Thanked
    6,682
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Induction scares me to be honest. I doubt I'd be kicked off the midwife program for getting induced but I'm not sure. I definitely wouldn't be able to have a water birth.

    I'm ok with him being away for 5 days when Bub is a few days old but I want him there for the birth. He will be in NZ and would be earning a few thousand dollars which would really come in handy for us as well as opening more opportunities for him.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked
    80
    Reviews
    0
    Before having my third I would have said 'induction', now I say 'cancel the trip and let baby chose his/her own birthday'.

    Baby 1&2 vaginal deliveries after induction (due to PROM and no action after 24 & 36hrs). Baby 3 induction AROM which led to EMCS due to cord prolapse (baby 4 VBAC). Chances are you'll be fine but I still wouldn't risk it if you don't have to. GL

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,097
    Thanks
    1,480
    Thanked
    1,638
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't have the induction unless you were seriously post dates, like +14 days and maybe then a few

    That's me personally though. Also, from today to the 29th is a very long time when you are already term! Meaning that anything could happen, and you could be in labour tonight So I wouldn't stress about it just yet

    Maybe talk it over with him and decide a date that "this is it" and go for induction (say, on the 27th). Try everything natural before then. Acupressure, acupuncture can be very successful. I would be concerned about other interventions/more pain etc with induction. And also not being able to use the pool (is that because of monitoring?)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

    Little Miss Sunshine  (19-08-2016)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5,133
    Thanks
    10,958
    Thanked
    5,336
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default WWYD induction?

    Agree 9 days is a long time for something to happen! I remember when I was 6 days over I was in tears thinking bubs still wasn't coming (booked in for induction 10 days over as per hospital policy) but that evening she was in my arms!

    Bubs head is down? You've been feeling tightenings? MW to perform a stretch and sweep? Sounds like it could happen anytime! It is your second.....
    It'll happen by then I'm sure
    I say like pp look at booking induction day 7/8 but fingers crossed it won't be necessary. Good luck! Xxxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-08-2016 at 12:02.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,030
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked
    836
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think, based on what you've said... I would get stretch and sweep on the 20th, if you can get an appointment, and then do anything you can to get labour going over the weekend, but I'd book induction for Tuesday.

    Give you a good 5 days as a family, get home from hospital, get sorted before he leaves for his trip..

    That's me though..


 

Similar Threads

  1. Wwyd?
    By Frankenmum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 28-01-2016, 11:23
  2. wwyd ? (sex)
    By Luanajo in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-12-2015, 22:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
TreeHutVillageWe offer a secure, quick and easy way to hire and lend baby equipment. It directly connects families across Australia ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›