+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Backyard was/is super important to us. My kids spend nearly 3-4 hours there a day during the week after school and probably closer to 8 or 9 on the weekend.
    We wouldn't be without one. Our kids also go to communal areas, playgrounds etc to play with other kids but they love being in the backyard.
    Waaaah I'm so jealous! I think we had serious buyers fatigue when we bought this house with no back yard! We do have lovely views but there's no time to enjoy these days when ms2 needs constant supervision and is so fast on her feet and up onto the road if I take my eyes off her for a second! It's so good for them to be able to have some freedom to play outside and explore a bit without mum always hanging around saying don't got there don't touch that etc. I think that's bothering more than the lack of time for me to do stuff inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So what exactly makes it so unsafe? Is it not fenced?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are currently living in a townhouse with a courtyard and I HATE have no yard. Our previous house had a large yard with lots of fruit trees and vege gardens, play equipment and huge free form sand pit which DS2 spent hours in 😭 it also had a smaller play area (only accessible from inside house and fully enclosed) which was visible from the main part of the house with a smaller sand pit, logs for climbing on safely and a drawing/painting board up on the fence. I miss it desperately.

I understand your frustration we are now stuck in this house for the foreseeable future - was meant to be an investment when I returned to work year which is now not happening.

Anyway I think a yard is absolutely vital and so important. Yes parks are great but honestly there is nothing like kids having the freedom to roam in a safe space, build forts and cubbies without having to worry about pulling them down, to run and go crazy with a sprinkler etc...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I ask if you can take a pic of the area? That way we might be able to help with ideas?

I am thinking of things they have in childcare playground such as vertical gardens, sandpit - you can get standalone ones with covers, water table etc for summer.

Can you put up an outside teepee? With cushions? Rather than a cubby house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Small trampoline? If its to keep your toddler occupied for a few years you can get 6ft ones (or smaller) just for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and to answer your question we rarely use ours atm. DS is 3 and doesn't miss it. We will get a trampoline in the front soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yard is probably more important to us the the size of our house, I have 4 boys and they are rarely inside even when raining. My younger 2 spend all day in the sandpit and on their bikes we go to the park rarely probably once a month as they are just happy to play at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So what exactly makes it so unsafe? Is it not fenced?
    We only have a front yard with steps on one side to the road and unused driveway on the other, a few high drops around but main issue is 2 yo running onto road. I play out with her but can't even pop back to house for a minute - I tried leaving her with 7 yo to get them fruit and she was running up the driveway in seconds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure how big your balcony/deck is but here's a few ideas:

- play kitchen. Anchor it to the wall of the house so she can't push it around and use it to climb over the railing.

- teepee/tent. Instead of a cubby. Takes up less space and can't be used for climbing.

- encolsed trampoline. Maybe for small backyard? These ones from big w come in a 4.5 foot diameter size. https://www.bigw.com.au/product/plum...0000000210461/

- Ceiling mounted swing.

- Sand pit. You could use the plastic shell type ones, it would be too heavy for her to move and the sides would be low enough that she couldn't climb over the railing.

In response to your OP, having a back yard is really important for us, as DS is very much an outdoors kid. We're finally in a house now where it's safe for him to go outside on his own, and it makes life so much easier!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    We only have a front yard with steps on one side to the road and unused driveway on the other, a few high drops around but main issue is 2 yo running onto road. I play out with her but can't even pop back to house for a minute - I tried leaving her with 7 yo to get them fruit and she was running up the driveway in seconds
    can you put up a fence?