+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Query: Mater Mother's group midwifery program

Hi,
    Has anyone here been through the group midwifery practice and know if it replaces the need for extra antenatal classes?

My doctor has indicated on my referral form that I want to be in the MGP but my first appointment at the hospital isn't until 20 weeks. My understanding is that the first appointment is with a midwife, then I have another appointment with a doctor and it is only after that point that I find out if I am in the MGP or not.

For the antenatal classes it is recommended that you book no later than 16 weeks - so I have called today and booked and paid. They told me on the phone that it won't double up with any other care I receive, but looking again at the MGP page I'm not so sure as it talks about antenatal sessions relating to labour & birth. I'm now completely confused! Have I just paid for something I may not even need?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Mamasupial should be able to help you out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They won't take you through the exact things they do during antenatal classes but being in a group with other women expecting St the same time as you is great to ask questions etc especially if there are mums who have previously given birth. Its an excellent program but it does not replace antenatal classes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Little Wing  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, thanks. I will just carry on then! I got super stressed out over this earlier - stupid hormones

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'll be back to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told that the antenatal classes provide some extra information but aren't necessary. I didn't go to the classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    First time I didn't go through the mgp and went to the antenatal class.

This time I'm going through the mgp. Even though you have put your name down for it doesn't mean you are in sorry to say. IF you get in, a midwife will contact you and cancel your hospital appointment and all appointments will be with the midwives. I had my first appointment at the hospital as my midwife kept having to reschedule due to births. You organise scans through your GP. I wouldn't stress about appointments just yet.

In the mgp sessions, you do talk about birth/labour/breast feeding/settling and anything you want to discuss. The sessions have "topics" but basically they just chat about any questions/concerns you and others have.

I wouldn't cancel the antenatal class as you don't know if you will get into mgp. They are both different and you may get different things out of them too.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Little Wing  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, sounds like I've got everything lined up fine.
    That's interesting about getting a call to cancel the hospital appointment if I get into MGP - my GP didn't mention that. My hospital appointment is in 4 weeks so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Wing For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
    Thanks, sounds like I've got everything lined up fine.
    That's interesting about getting a call to cancel the hospital appointment if I get into MGP - my GP didn't mention that. My hospital appointment is in 4 weeks so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    That's what happened for me anyways.

My group did have a few late comers though so you may start with hospital appointments and then get into mgp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fingers crossed you get in. I birthed my first 3 children through MGP with the same midwife every time (even though I had some issues (breech and prem), my midwife supported me throughout. It was wonderful. The only reason I couldn't birth with the same midwife with my 4th was because i wasn't in Brisbane.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Little Wing  (12-08-2016)