+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    And at risk of being "flamed" I refused to put the new harness in the bumbos (I have old second hand ones). And I put dd1 in it up on the kitchen bench next to me whilst I washed up or prepped dinner.
    I never have done that with dd2 because she was a "pusher" with her feet and we now have an island bench.
    So I make my own risk assessments on their own indivdual merits
    Lol the harness was such a pain I removed it from mine! DD didn't crawl till late so her little legs got too fat & she used to get stuck in it, then she started sitting by herself so I sold mine on. Utterly useless for my situation, but heaps of people love them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (09-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone does things differently, if there are consequences for anything they are our own so all good here. DH gives him screen time with the Olympics, his reasoning? If there is a world record or something awesome happens that goes down in history he wants to be able to say 'you watched that' most people would scoff at the idea but as long as it's not hurting him I'm not taking that away from him.
    Moderation and common sense is the key in everything.
    I'm glad to hear that you have no reports of issues, I guess that's what I was after, any first hand experiences with issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the harness but it's so loose on the little chicken nugget i don't see it having much of an impact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ds goes to gymbaroo too and as much as we love it, i find their purist approach to babies movement a bit extreme. those leaflets you get at the end of each class always pontificate about how terrible walkers/bouncers/seats etc are. whilst i agree that a baby needs free, natural movement to the extent realistically possible, the attitude fails to acknowledge that not all bubs are the same and like being left on the floor to explore on their own. ds was ok but hated tummy time for ages. it was a real chore doing it with him as he'd just end up shrieking and distressed. he much preferred laying on his back and sitting as soon as he was able to. although we never had a bumbo, i'm not against them. i think
    you need to use a bit of common sense in these cases; if bubs is able to hold up their own head and seems happy enough in the device you are putting them into, and aren't slumping or flopping over, then what's the harm. 15 or 20 mins in a bumbo isn't going to turn your baby into a couch potato quasimodo and it gives mum/dad a bit of a break!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always fed our twins in a bumbo before high chairs. Found them awesome! Also loved ours at the beach or on the farm so they could sit up without being right in the sand etc. All things in moderation... never long periods. But we found them excellent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a physio and I subscribe to the school of thought that everything is fine in moderation. It's my understanding that for good development babies need time on a firm surface to practice things like rolling, tummy time, pushing, reaching sitting, crawling etc. But they also don't do that for 8 hours a day and spend some time in supportive positions for example when we hold them in sitting in our lap, or over our shoulder etc. I had a bumbo with both my kids. I probably didn't leave them in it for longer than around 20-25 minutes. If I was giving professional advice I would probably advise a parent not to exceed this time frame repetitively (I wouldn't stress about them sitting for longer every now and then).
    Unfortunately my kids were blessed with chubby thighs 😂 so they grew out of the bumbo very quickly! So I second whoever suggested the pillow behind them so they can sit on the floor without worrying about them banging their head!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I could leave my ds3 in the bumbo for longer than 5 mins.. he hates it! He slumps sideways and starts whinging until I take him out. He's 5 months old and has excellent head control, even from when he was a newborn. He just doesn't like the bumbo what a shame because it was an absolute life saver with DS2!