+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 290
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks
    1,350
    Thanked
    1,231
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post

    Anyway, my point is that comparisons of issues in the Middle East involving the Lebanese, Israelis and Palestinians is immensely complex and not reflective of anything that may happen in Australia.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks
    1,350
    Thanked
    1,231
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because you are more likely to die from other things other than terrorism.

    I bet you're not afraid of driving. So far this year there have been 643 deaths on Australian roads. In 2015 there were 1206 deaths on Australian roads.
    I am actually scared of driving I'm also scared of crowds. That viral video of people in Central Park chasing Pokemon really freaked me out. I'm not even joking.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    9,469
    Thanked
    4,589
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

    Driving is a calculated risk we are happy to accept.

    If it means getting from a to b in a timely and easy manner I'm choosing to put my own life and those of my loved ones at a small risk and I accept that.

    The risk of terrorism is small and difficult to anticipate or calculate. If I knew there was a chance of a terrorism attack at said point at said location then I can choose to take that risk or not. But I have no choice in this matter.

    Just because a person's fear of a terrorist attack is irrational and very unlikely to happen doesn't make it any less real to that person.

    (For the record I'm not overly scared of a terrorist attack. I've got a quiet resignation it probably will happen in this country at some point and we've been fortunate, and there's not much I can do at this point of time)

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),TheGooch  (20-07-2016),witherwings  (20-07-2016)

  5. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks
    1,350
    Thanked
    1,231
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I can't find the original post on this topic (I meant to reply last night) but the comparison of the issues in Lebanon to what Australia may face from Muslim immigration is OTT.

    And for what it's worth I thought Lebanon was pretty much at peace. There was the suicide bomb late last year, car bombings every now and again targeted at politicians and the odd spat with Israel in the south but otherwise it's a pretty safe place? Not a place where people are faced with daily violence (Palestine refugee camps aside).

    Note: I forgot about the 2005 30 day war, however that was with Israel, not between Christians and Muslims.
    I know this is really getting off topic now, but I just want to respond to this because it's not entirely correct. There was a civil war in Lebanon for over a decade between Christians and Muslims which started in the 70s. It resulted in a small genocide of Christians.

    But, as you say, that scenario cannot be applied to Australia because (1) the Muslim population in Australia is negligible compared to Christians, (2) the Muslims in Lebanon who instigated the war came to Lebanon as Palestinian militants, not law abiding economic immigrants, (3) you can't really compare a war torn country in the Middle East to Australia. It's OTT as uou point you, and irrelevant. A more relevant comparison would be nazi Germany.

    ETA: literally just saw this shared on Facebook by one of my Iraqi friends.

    https://www.facebook.com/TEDEducatio...0972065915997/
    Last edited by witherwings; 20-07-2016 at 07:38. Reason: Adding link

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (20-07-2016),besha  (21-07-2016)

  7. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Little Miss Sunshine I don't think anyone is doing anything more than trying to help explain rationally why the fear, while real for that person, is largely unfounded. I work on facts and what I know and I'm comfortable that I won't die in a terrorist attack.

    It's hard I get that. We knew the kids shot down in MH17. Through our work DH and I know people who knew the barrister killed in the Lindt siege. So it's very real.

    But it's still not real enough to make me scared Maybe I've just been fortunate in my life to meet many kind and generous people of all backgrounds so I don't feel scared. I don't know.

  8. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Little Miss Sunshine I don't think anyone is doing anything more than trying to help explain rationally why the fear, while real for that person, is largely unfounded. I work on facts and what I know and I'm comfortable that I won't die in a terrorist attack.

    It's hard I get that. We knew the kids shot down in MH17. Through our work DH and I know people who knew the barrister killed in the Lindt siege. So it's very real.

    But it's still not real enough to make me scared Maybe I've just been fortunate in my life to meet many kind and generous people of all backgrounds so I don't feel scared. I don't know.

  9. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    9,469
    Thanked
    4,589
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Because you are more likely to die from other things other than terrorism.

    I bet you're not afraid of driving. So far this year there have been 643 deaths on Australian roads. In 2015 there were 1206 deaths on Australian roads.
    I'm sure nearly everyone is if not scared at the very least hyper vigilant, cautious and on edge if they are driving in unfamiliar or unsafe conditions, particularly with others in the car.

    Again I fail to see the relevancy in quoting these statistics. People out there are scared of terrorism no matter how irrational it may seem. And I'm sure as pp have mentioned they are aware they are being irrational but it still doesn't change how they feel.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (21-07-2016),VicPark  (20-07-2016)

  11. #168
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Little Miss Sunshine I don't think anyone is doing anything more than trying to help explain rationally why the fear, while real for that person, is largely unfounded. I work on facts and what I know and I'm comfortable that I won't die in a terrorist attack.

    It's hard I get that. We knew the kids shot down in MH17. Through our work DH and I know people who knew the barrister killed in the Lindt siege. So it's very real.

    But it's still not real enough to make me scared Maybe I've just been fortunate in my life to meet many kind and generous people of all backgrounds so I don't feel scared. I don't know.

  12. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

    Double post

  13. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,669
    Thanks
    9,469
    Thanked
    4,589
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Sonia Kruger - glass house?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @Little Miss Sunshine I don't think anyone is doing anything more than trying to help explain rationally why the fear, while real for that person, is largely unfounded. I work on facts and what I know and I'm comfortable that I won't die in a terrorist attack.

    It's hard I get that. We knew the kids shot down in MH17. Through our work DH and I know people who knew the barrister killed in the Lindt siege. So it's very real.

    But it's still not real enough to make me scared Maybe I've just been fortunate in my life to meet many kind and generous people of all backgrounds so I don't feel scared. I don't know.
    If that's the case then fair enough. But there is a risk that pointing out people are being silly for thinking this way, with the implication they are ignorant, can shut a conversation down.

    I'm not sure what the answer is.

    As I said I'm not overly scared. But I'm not an anxious type of person either. I can appreciate though there are those that are.

    I think we are starting to go in circles, so I'll stop banging on my point

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    harvs  (20-07-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much does your DH help around the house?
    By SummerFun in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 20:40
  2. Help! How do I buy a house
    By smallpotatoes in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-01-2016, 14:18
  3. Drinking from a glass.
    By Taffabella in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-10-2015, 22:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Loan for a businessFamily Finances
Time share for holidaysGeneral Travelling with Kids Tips
Do u take it personally? Kids friends..General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Albert?Choosing Baby Names
Show me your lunchbox 2017!!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›