+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in a primary school and I shudder when I see posts like this. Sorry.
    All kids want is to fit in. The name Shirley isn't so bad, but could you use it as a middle name instead?
    I know you like the name etc and it has meaning to you, but it's the child who has to live with it, not the parent.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (14-07-2016),Lincolns mummy  (14-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think using Shirley as a middle name is meaningful enough, but that's just how I feel.

I can't think of any suitable alternatives that pay tribute to her name. I don't like names that appear to be made up, so I say stick with Shirley.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shirley is lovely. Old names are making a comeback so I say use it. And out of interest Shirley is also a boys name. Anne of Green Gables had a boy called Shirley.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Shirley is lovely. Old names are making a comeback so I say use it. And out of interest Shirley is also a boys name. Anne of Green Gables had a boy called Shirley.
    So glad you mentioned this!! Every time I see this thread I think of "Anne Shirley"

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    I work in a primary school and I shudder when I see posts like this. Sorry.
    All kids want is to fit in. The name Shirley isn't so bad, but could you use it as a middle name instead?
    I know you like the name etc and it has meaning to you, but it's the child who has to live with it, not the parent.
    I agree with this to an extent, if a name is ridiculous. I hated my name growing up as nobody else had it but I love it now and am grateful my parents saw outside of the trend box. I guarantee you wouldn't think my name is odd or weird. Old names have made a massive comeback so I personally don't think using it will be bad, this generation of kids will be going to school with a lot of other children with old names...and some really bogan ones.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shirley

I would look at using Shirley as a middle name not first name. My main reason is my good friends first name is Shirley and she got such a hard time growing up with her name that she is known as her middle name now.

Edit to add I think Moss is a pretty cool name or you could shorten Shirley to Lee for a girl or boy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Moss for sure as a boys name. As for Shirley, I have a relative with that name. It's a little unusual these days but I don't see a problem. It's up there in age with names such as William, Harry, hazel, pearl, irene, sandy, sandra, grace, eve, Eva, carol, ruby, Peter, Charles/Charlie etc..

The fact it pays tribute to a loved relative scores bonus points towards using it IMO.