+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    PomPoms did you know that if you vote below the line this year you only need to number a minimum of 12 preferences. Your vote will be exhausted once your last preference is reached.

I've always numbered every box under the line and have had hard time deciding which nutcase should go last. This year I will stop numbering when I have preferenced everyone I actually want to get in.
    Mmm I had read that, but was still thinking about numbering all of them. But, I guess if I stop at 12 then the ones that aren't in that group get....nothing.

Might have to reconsider.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have had loads of material posted and delivered in mail box and so has my husband. But my seat is very marginal. One of the closest, if not the closest seat in the last election that took days to know the outcome.

I think it depends on where you live and if the seat you live in is marginal.

I'd hazard a guess and say that because you live rurally, your seat is most likely national or some sort of country party that has a huge majority and no chance of any other party winning the seat.

Yep, safe Nationals seat here....

Still, I can't help but wonder why not at least try and gain support for the other parties?

'The people' here seem very unhappy, especially in light of recent dairy prices.

It's not unheard of for seats to be overthrown, and that will only happen when people are informed about what other parties can offer, or how they will support the community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    Mmm I had read that, but was still thinking about numbering all of them. But, I guess if I stop at 12 then the ones that aren't in that group get....nothing.

Might have to reconsider.
    I was planning on numbering all until I

a) found out how many candidates there are
    b) did a bit of digging on the some of the parties and realised how many I wanted to number last.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (30-06-2016),PomPoms  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For all those saying your vote doesn't count because you live in a safe seat - it absolutely does! Positive change only happens if people use their vote properly. For those who live in a safe seat this election, the outcome in your seat may be the same as previously, but perhaps the margin the incumbent wins by will decrease. If that happens - political parties pay attention to where the votes have gone instead, so they know who and how to target policies to win you and your vote back. In addition, political parties receive money per vote once their primary vote gets over a certain level. So by voting for greens over labor (for example), the greens then get more money which they can then direct towards making their party bigger and better and hopefully build more capacity to take on the two majors more effectively so they can effect more change in the future. Labor and liberals don't need more money to do this but the smaller parties and independents definitely do!

The following links are very good explanations of why everyone's vote counts:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...lly-is/7553578

http://chickennation.com/website_stu...NGLE-IMAGE.png

I think we need look no further than the recent brexit vote to see that everyone's vote is always important and it pays to not be complacent with it, even if you think you know what the outcome will be!

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-06-2016),BettyV  (30-06-2016),JustJaq  (30-06-2016),LaDiDah  (30-06-2016),monnie24  (01-07-2016),mummymaybe  (30-06-2016),Ngaiz  (30-06-2016),rainbow road  (30-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    b) did a bit of digging on the some of the parties and realised how many I wanted to number last.
    Ain't that the truth. Lot of right wing loon parties out there!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    You know how every election the political parties cram your mail box full of "Vote For Us" propaganda?

Well, this year we've not had a single piece sent to us. Not. One.

Is this happening everywhere, or is it just because now that we've moved to a small town (less than 4,000 residents) they simply overlooked us?

I would hate to think that as I now live in an area where there happens to be high unemployment and high numbers of people on welfare that we are not considered knowledgeable enough to make informed choices......
    I've noticed the same. Much less than last time and we're still living in the same house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those trying to get a handle on what what the parties running for the Senate are really like:

https://knowyourparties.wordpress.com/

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-06-2016),atomicmama  (30-06-2016),Californication  (30-06-2016),Gentoo  (30-06-2016),misskittyfantastico  (30-06-2016),PomPoms  (30-06-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For personal reasons I'm not sure I can vote for the ALP. Doing so means everything BS has done to someone I care about is justified and I just can't accept that.
    Turnbull may have turned me around had he actually brought any of the things he personally believes in, to the Liberal party.
    I'd vote greens but it makes me sad that the Greens don't seem to grab any new voters from the Libs, only disgruntled Labor voters.

I take voting seriously. I hope for the right outcome but I'm not convinced we'll get change.

I'll vote somewhere to the left, leaving the Lib, Nat and Family First candidate as close to the bottom as possible. And if I can get a sausage at a voting booth even better!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'll be voting green. I feel immensely let down by Malcolm. I really thought when he came in things would change but nothing.

I'm angry about so many issues there are too many to list but same sex marriage just does my head in. I don't want a f-----g referendum as Brexit shows they get dumb results. I just want a political party who has the guts to do something.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-06-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (30-06-2016),delirium  (30-06-2016),ilex  (01-07-2016),LaDiDah  (30-06-2016),Ngaiz  (30-06-2016),PomPoms  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Liberal.

The local community are currently fighting against having a proposed sky rail running along our train line. Labour candidates are for, liberal against. I think we are a swing seat so every vote counts.