+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha! I don't know if I could give up chocolate (or coffee).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Sorry just wanted to say I always hate the dry July concept because it's my birthday. Why not dry August or September, lol.

Good on you for doing it though. What charity are you supporting?
    I'm a July bday too. what date are you sunny?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I'll be dry because I'm pregnant lol. I don't really drink anyway.
    I was dry last year for the same reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    I thought I would do dry July... But mostly as an example to my children.. I never get drunk, I always make sure I am right to drive, just in case, but I have this attitude, where if something is on, I have a drink. Like, "oh, it's a birthday party! One drink", or, out for lunch, just one glass of bubbles, Friday night, a drink. It's the weekend, have a drink.. Well, it all adds up to a lot of drinking!

I feel like I'm in this culture of drinking, not to get drunk, not even really to celebrate anything, just drinking because it's the "done" thing? I don't want my kids thinking that this is everyday behaviour, so, I thought dry July would be a good start..
    yeah but realistically, so what? drinking safely and responsibly is no different to having a bit of chocolate or coffee. it's a nice treat. unless you're in a diet, nobody really goes around analyzing their chocolate intake (well within reason I mean). ditto for coffee.

why is drinking seen as the big bad wolf? my mum was always severely anti drinking and I think that's effed me up more than if she didn't make a big deal about it and we saw her enjoying a drink every now and again responsibly.

drinking is an issue when it's out of control.

I do agree drinking and alcohol are very entrenched in our culture. I went to a children's bday party yesterday and there was booze. I had a champers. my mum would say grog at a kids bday party is inappropriate. I was glad it was there. nobody was getting hammered but at the same time it's nice to kick back on a weekend with a drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    yeah but realistically, so what? drinking safely and responsibly is no different to having a bit of chocolate or coffee. it's a nice treat. unless you're in a diet, nobody really goes around analyzing their chocolate intake (well within reason I mean). ditto for coffee.

why is drinking seen as the big bad wolf? my mum was always severely anti drinking and I think that's effed me up more than if she didn't make a big deal about it and we saw her enjoying a drink every now and again responsibly.

drinking is an issue when it's out of control.

I do agree drinking and alcohol are very entrenched in our culture. I went to a children's bday party yesterday and there was booze. I had a champers. my mum would say grog at a kids bday party is inappropriate. I was glad it was there. nobody was getting hammered but at the same time it's nice to kick back on a weekend with a drink.
    Well said.
    I don't get into the dry July thing because I don't drink enough to have to cut back besides which... my birthday is in July so I will indulge if I want to :beer:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was checking the website and you can buy a golden pass which allows your to have a night off and have some drinks - doesn't that defeat the purpose of dry July?? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone joining me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am more than happy to donate to charity, and I do often, but I can't join "Dry July" sorry. When it hits 5 o'clock, life is so much more calm in my house during the dinner/bath/bed routine, when I have a glass of Prosecco!

But I applaud your intent

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Ruby_Tuesday15  (30-06-2016),TheGooch  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'll be doing it. My crossfit box is doing it so I feel I should too. I train 6 days a week so having a wine in the evening is insane for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I hardly ever drink so this would be pointless for me!