I would insist on swabs and results or you cannot take her for the weekend.
Whooping cough is not something 'small'. Yes, vaccination is fabulous and can help her have a mild case but since you are pregnant that just makes the risks so much worse.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 41 to 50 of 58
15-06-2016 06:05 #41Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2015
15-06-2016 06:16 #42
If bio mum & hubby aren't taking it seriously could you go to your GP and get a letter from them stating that it is too risky to have you exposed to potential WC while pregnant, outlining the risks? You shouldn't have to resort to that, but if they're not taking it seriously you need to do whatever you can to protect yourself and belly bub xx
15-06-2016 09:10 #43
What I don't get though, is the notion that you can just 'cancel' on parenting...? It doesn't make sense to me. I mean you can ask if its OK with the mum and all, and she may agree but it doesn't sit right with me that (despite the reasonings) it can be decided on that your dh can make the call that he's not available this weekend. If she called you guys out of the blue on a Tuesday and said 'I'm no longer free to have her today so I will be dropping her off to you', what would your reaction be?
If it was your dd who was exposed to whooping cough would you send her away for the couple days it takes for confirmation?
I don't know. I get it is serious, really I do. I had whooping cough as a child and it wasn't fun. My son was exposed to chicken pox during my pregnancy (which I am unable to hold immunity for) and it was an anxious wait for me. Something just doesn't sit right with me about you and her dad being able to say 'nope, we're not having you this weekend' without it even being a discussion with the mum.
15-06-2016 09:16 #44
15-06-2016 09:46 #45
And no, if it was my DD who potentially had whooping cough I wouldn't be sending her to her dads where there was a pregnant woman and another child, in fact I wouldn't be sending her or taking her anywhere until I had an answer from the GP that she definitely didn't have it. It's putting others at risk.
15-06-2016 10:48 #46
Looking at it another way of your DD did have it potentially would you send her to her dads until she was clear? If it meant not seeing her for over a week?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:
15-06-2016 10:52 #47
15-06-2016 10:53 #48
15-06-2016 10:56 #49
15-06-2016 11:06 #50Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2015
Being "immunised" definitely doesn't mean she can't get it - in fact in my experience last time an outbreak occurred here it was the "immunised" ones who got it the absolute worst. Tbh, as much as I don't like antibiotics, I would probably give them to her. It at least means that 1. Anything in her system will be killed and 2. She cannot pass it on to others. Good luck!
By GothicBeeza in forum Eastern Suburbs & HillsReplies: 2Last Post: 27-07-2015, 10:21
By JR03 in forum General ChatReplies: 1Last Post: 10-07-2015, 07:24
By meandmyboys82 in forum Newborns (0 - 2 months)Replies: 23Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:04
Heinz Baby BasicsOur BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Pregnancy test recall!!!Conception & Fertility General Chat
IUI - first time fertility treatmentNon-IVF fertility assistance
IVF babies due June/July/August 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Lite & Easy ???Second Trimester Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Happiness thread.General Chat
A - Z of Baby Boy NamesGames & fun stuff