My DD is 15 months and slowly starting to wean I think. Today I started feeling flu like symptoms and noticing an increasingly sore right breast. Red mark and lump forming. I'm guessing, but hopping it's not, mastitis. If so, when should I be seeing a doctor? Doctor Google and ABA website all say 'as soon as possible after getting flu like symptoms'. But I don't know if we're taking ASAP, as in go to the ED (given that it's 8.30 pm now, or wait till tomorrow? Calling 13 Health now, but thought I'd check with all you lovely ladies as well!!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 18
13-06-2016 19:30 #1
Possible mastitis... How long before I should see a doctor?
Last edited by TreeGirl; 13-06-2016 at 19:42.
13-06-2016 19:42 #2
From my experience once the flu symptoms hit then it is not going to get better. You need ABs now so although it may not seem to be an emergency often ED is prob the best option. The other thing you could try is an after hours gp or a locum. I have personally found that locums have no idea about mastitis and will often prescribe the wrong antibiotic. Whatever you decide call/go now. Like right now. Within an hour at the latest. Also I should add that when I got mastitis I felt really off mentally. Sorry I do t mean to sound patronizing but I found it really hard to think straight, recognize the symptoms and make a decision. Since talking to other mums I have found that this is common.... So I'm telling you. Go now! Good luck. X
13-06-2016 19:43 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2015
If you can get a home dr it is a better option than ED. If no home dr and you have those symptoms - then ED.
13-06-2016 19:46 #4
The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:
13-06-2016 19:47 #5
I would try expressing/massaging the lump out - a heat pack or hot shower might help to loosen it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:
Little Miss Sunshine (13-06-2016)
13-06-2016 20:10 #6
I just kept up the above methods and panadol/nurofen and it got better for me.
Mind you I'm slightly paranoid about ABs so avoid them until absolutely necessary.
Good luck xxx
13-06-2016 20:13 #7
Just took some Ibuprofen and feeling slightly better and 13 Health nurse believes a doctor can wait till first thing in the morning. Can't believe I'm almost at end of my breastfeeding journey for 2 lovely girls and I get this thrown at me 😏
13-06-2016 20:17 #8Junior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2015
My advice is call a locum, start antibiotics asap. Took mine 3 days to kick in and symptoms worsened during that time. It can be awful! I also had my lactation consultant recommend a physio for ultrasound treatment, i needed 4 sessions of this to really clear it. Good luck!
13-06-2016 20:30 #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2016
Oral fluclox as said, get an ah go if u can not worth the risk of waiting mine got rapidly worse over the couple of hours I waited for hubby to drive script home, he's a dr so I didn't have to wait for that bit....they see some vary nasty things in hosp with mastitis so even though he's normally casual about not needing drugs there was No waiting w mastitis.... He always recc doing a Nikko outline around the red to be able to monitor it for spread, look in mirror might be under ur boob too.....
13-06-2016 20:44 #10
By Effie3 in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 2Last Post: 25-01-2016, 22:19
By Gelati in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 32Last Post: 05-01-2016, 06:15
By Soon2be4 in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 9Last Post: 20-08-2015, 17:44
KindyROOKindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Happiness thread.General Chat
Growth Of Intellection. Discussion?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
Cyclone Debbie Support thread.General Chat
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Pokemon go. Chat #2General Chat