+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, new to the world of forums! Have spent the last few days reading through this post and have got the courage to post now.
    (Also still learning all the forum abbreviations) DP and I are about to embark on our TTC journey. We live in West of Melbourne. DP is 31, I'm 27 and going to carry Have our first appointment with FS in a few weeks to find out where to start and how it all works. Plan to give IUI a go first.
    Question - We are debating health insurance vs no health insurance. Any advice on the entire experience would be great

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BelleRob For This Useful Post:

almai  (18-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Question - We are debating health insurance vs no health insurance. Any advice on the entire experience would be great
    Welcome! Congrats on TTC.

We also contemplated health insurance to cover assisted reproduction/pregnancy, however our first appt with the FS through the idea out the door for us. We had our initial appt with the idea to TTC in a year or so, but with DP's older age and wanting to use her eggs meant that our FS advised us not to wait if at all possible. (Meaning we couldn't spare a years waiting period to be eligible on health insurance for these things). Our FS had previously worked in our local public hospital and highly recommended it, so we just went with her advice once we fell pregnant.

The Medicare rebate helps if you're eligible, otherwise it just meant a lot of savings for the TTC part. Pregnancy itself, apart from maybe one scan and test, everything was bulk billed or had a small gap.

Even though the decision was out of our hands (to some extent) for getting the health insurance and serving the waiting period, we'll happily go without it for number two.

Reasons we'd change our mind is if we moved out of the area for our awesome public hospital or any of us 3 develop a medical condition that would benefit from us having hospital cover.

FYI we egg shared. Used DP's eggs and I carried. We have an 11 month old DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your response

Guess we will wait and see what FS before we make our decision on insurance.
    Ideally we would like to be pregnant by the end of the year, although not sure how long the whole process will take to get started. We have a lot of questions for the FS.

Thank you for sharing may I ask how many attempts it was for you to fall pregnant with your DD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome @BelleRob. We decided to take out private health 12 months before we started IVF, we had a go at IUI during the waiting period which unfortunately you can not claim. For us we have always said we will have our future children at a private hospital. Each to their own, some people have wonderful experiences at public hospital. I have heard some horror stories! Also I have a friend that has completed 3 IVF sim cycles and the bed fees without private health really add up.

I have just started my first IVF Sim cycle, had my second gonal f injection this morning! It was a long wait for my AF to arrive but happy we have finally started. to a very successful cycle!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRob View Post

Thank you for sharing may I ask how many attempts it was for you to fall pregnant with your DD?
    I was very fortunate to fall pregnant on our first try with a FET - our one and only day 5 embryo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRob View Post
    Private insurance isn't really worth it for TTC/IVF - some money back for meds and EPU (if you do IVF).
    But if you want to have private care for pregnancy and birth, then you really need to have insurance (rather than self-fund). Most pregnancy care has a 9 month waiting list, so you could sign up now and you'll be fine for the birth. Provate insurance only covers in hospital treatment, you'll still need to pay your obstetrician out of pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update from me. Had a scan this morning and my egg collection is scheduled for Friday. We will trigger with pregnyl tomorrow night. Unfortunately I am at risk of OHSS as I have 15 follicles that are measuring 18mm plus. We may need to cancel FET allowing me time to recover from OHSS. Our FS will make the decision on Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great number of eggs @Amy1926! Hope you don't get OHSS, but some nice embryos in the freezer is great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy1926 View Post
    Update from me. Had a scan this morning and my egg collection is scheduled for Friday. We will trigger with pregnyl tomorrow night. Unfortunately I am at risk of OHSS as I have 15 follicles that are measuring 18mm plus. We may need to cancel FET allowing me time to recover from OHSS. Our FS will make the decision on Friday.
    How exciting! Can't wait to hear how you get on!! Good luck and make sure you drink lots of fluids after your pick up! Also try to sleep sitting up if you're in pain lying down. It will help when you have been overstimmed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick update had ER today and collected 15 eggs 😁 recovering on the couch. Will hear tomorrow how many fertilised. 🤞

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amy1926 For This Useful Post:

Boxergirl  (01-04-2017),NandM  (31-03-2017),TortoiseNotTheHare  (31-03-2017)