+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,557
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked
    1,984
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just found this online...Attachment 81898
    I loathe those dolls (the 'before' ones) - I think Bratz and Monster High are the two brands I have seen that look absolutely horrible.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    I still don't know how to quote on here, but someone mentioned skin damage. Most makeup is highly toxic. My seven y.o DD has only worn makeup once, at her ballet performance last year, and she couldn't wait to get it off! I have never worn much makeup or done fake tans, nails etc. as I feel (and have been told) I am naturally beautiful without all that - hence why I think my DD also feels uncomfortable with it. This little girl is obviously very artistic, but excessive makeup is neither necessary nor healthy for anyone, much less a child. It's up to her parents to redirect her talents somewhere else...

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I still don't know how to quote on here, but someone mentioned skin damage. Most makeup is highly toxic. My seven y.o DD has only worn makeup once, at her ballet performance last year, and she couldn't wait to get it off! I have never worn much makeup or done fake tans, nails etc. as I feel (and have been told) I am naturally beautiful without all that - hence why I think my DD also feels uncomfortable with it. This little girl is obviously very artistic, but excessive makeup is neither necessary nor healthy for anyone, much less a child. It's up to her parents to redirect her talents somewhere else...
    Would you wear make up if you hadn't been told you were naturally beautiful? I find it a little odd that you reference that as it's clearly important to you (and that's fine). But how is it different from people feeling a bit better about themselves because they wear make up?

    I'm a bit lost by the point you're trying to make to be honest.

    I have no problem either way. Wear make up. Don't wear make up.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (15-06-2016)

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    Yes, perhaps I was a bit vague. I just hope we can see a future society where girls don't have to paint their faces to feel beautiful. Everyone is naturally beautiful in their own unique way ☺️

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    Yes, perhaps I was a bit vague. I just hope we can see a future society where girls don't have to paint their faces to feel beautiful. Everyone is naturally beautiful in their own unique way
    See I don't have a problem with wearing make up. I love it. And I know lots of guys who enjoy expressing themselves through make up as well

    Maybe I just view these things differently as I don't have self esteem issues and feel very comfortable explaining to my daughters why I wear make up. And letting them experiment with it. I just tell them l like it. I don't go into an explanation why.

    Same as when they ask me why I have a glass of wine at night. I like it. And it's for grown ups.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (15-06-2016),BettyV  (16-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-06-2016),PomPoms  (15-06-2016),twinklify  (15-06-2016)

  8. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,671
    Thanks
    9,476
    Thanked
    4,589
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 6 year old and make up

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See I don't have a problem with wearing make up. I love it. And I know lots of guys who enjoy expressing themselves through make up as well

    Maybe I just view these things differently as I don't have self esteem issues and feel very comfortable explaining to my daughters why I wear make up. And letting them experiment with it. I just tell them l like it. I don't go into an explanation why.

    Same as when they ask me why I have a glass of wine at night. I like it. And it's for grown ups.
    Me too. I have no issues with make up or hiding it or answering questions about it. It's part of a ritual for me of dressing up and going out and adds to the excitement.

    My 3yo dd1 plays with my blush and lipstick. We paint our nails together. It's fun and nothing about sexualising or self esteem.

    Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to hide. Same with my glass of wine with dinner. I don't lie about it or hide it. As a grown up I enjoy a nice wine with a meal, and when she's big like mummy she can too.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-06-2016 at 12:40.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    twinklify  (15-06-2016)

  10. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,872
    Thanks
    959
    Thanked
    3,058
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See I don't have a problem with wearing make up. I love it. And I know lots of guys who enjoy expressing themselves through make up as well

    Maybe I just view these things differently as I don't have self esteem issues and feel very comfortable explaining to my daughters why I wear make up. And letting them experiment with it. I just tell them l like it. I don't go into an explanation why.

    Same as when they ask me why I have a glass of wine at night. I like it. And it's for grown ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Me too. I have no issues with make up or hiding it or answering questions about it. It's part of a ritual for me of dressing up and going out and adds to the excitement.

    My 3yo dd1 plays with my blush and lipstick. We paint our nails together. It's fun and nothing about sexualising or self esteem.

    Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to hide. Same with my glass of wine with dinner. I don't lie about it or hide it. As a grown up I enjoy a nice wine with a meal, and when she's big like mummy she can too.
    This.

    Makeup is not bad or evil. I find it pretty. I love the colours. I love the way specific eye shadow colours make eyes 'pop'. I love bold lipstick colours. They are just beautiful. Foundation is the canvas for me to express myself. Whether it is natural or glam it is an expression of ME.

    My self esteem is fine. I put makeup on my face for ME.

    And that is what I tell my child. Why lie? Why hide it? If I hide something to me it seems like I should be ashamed of it. And I am not. Because it is not shameful. And I do not want my children to think its shameful.

    Everything I wear is also an expression of me. Makeup is a part of it.

    And I'll add wine is good. Wine is fabulous. Mmmm wine...

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    hopeful1986  (16-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-06-2016),PomPoms  (15-06-2016)

  12. #58
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,660
    Thanks
    5,493
    Thanked
    5,962
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeh I have no issues with young kids playing with makeup. If they like it - great,

    I also dont think there is anything sinister in making the you tube tutorial. My DD watches these tutorials all the time. Constantly.

    Taste tests, cooking challenges, play doh challenges, toy openings and reviews .... and she is constantly making videos of her own.

    She begs me to put them on you tube (but I wont ) but she most certainly (even at 6 or 7) would have known how to do this kind of tutprial

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    Mod-biscotti  (15-06-2016)

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,795
    Thanks
    1,027
    Thanked
    2,260
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Why do all the "before" dolls look like prostitutes? Is this what girls like?
    Because she has lots of makeup on?
    Your kidding me right?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,225
    Thanks
    1,627
    Thanked
    2,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Makeup is not bad or evil.
    The pressure on women to wear make up in order to fit a certain expectation kind of is evil though.

    If you stopped wearing makeup do you think some people would think, possibly even make a sideways comment that you'd "let yourself go"?

    What advice would anyone have for a woman going for a job interview "wear some make-up (not too much) so you look professional".

    How many women say they feel naked without their "face" on?

    The expectations on women to wear the "right" makeup for a variety of situations is immense but it is so deeply ingrained that it is rarely even called in to question.

    Why should my professionalism be called into question because I am bare faced, but my male colleague's is not?

    I appreciate the art in skilled make-up application and think that men or women should feel confident to use it as an extension of self expression. I don't think it is right that a woman is expected to spend 10-60 minutes longer a day getting ready than a man. That's a minimum of 125 days of her adult life spent just doing makeup. If you have a one hour face then that's more than 2 years of your life spent applying makeup.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Green Cheese  (16-06-2016),Meg2  (16-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-06-2016),VicPark  (16-06-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. *trigger* Highly sexual 3 year old or curious 3 year old?
    By redfacedredhead in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 12:37
  2. What to make of this all?
    By missmizchelle in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 08:44
  3. Please help me make a decision
    By Clarabelle in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2015, 13:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Cots on BubhubLooking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›