Our bank manager told us that there is a strong chance of a further rate cut coming up soon so hold your horses with fixing...
We are currently on a ridiculously low rate with NAB, 3.81%.. He said our rate would drop to 3.6% in the near future. Just a heads up.
I wouldn't fix personally as there is very little chance of rates going up in the near future. Most of these fixed rates being offered are for a Max of 2 years because banks aren't stupid - they know that rates are only going down this year and not likely to go up any time soon.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 21 to 30 of 41
06-06-2016 21:38 #21
06-06-2016 21:48 #22
I wouldn't fix now. Further cuts are coming...
06-06-2016 22:00 #23
I'd also hold out - we are on a 3.99% variable with nab
06-06-2016 22:01 #24
The op has .65% difference in the variable (4.4) and fixed (3.75) I think it's worth considering fixing a portion as the fixed is lower and the difference is at least 3 interest rate cuts.
07-06-2016 00:31 #25
Sorry I might sound bit stupid but I didn't think I could switch home loans if we had other debts (I don't handle finances clearly 😁) I def need change though as ours is 4.66 %
Last edited by monnie24; 07-06-2016 at 00:33.
07-06-2016 02:22 #26
We have until the end of the month to make a decision. We have also heard of a possible interest rate cut this month but there is no guarantee anz will pass that on if there is one. We will only shop around if our house value comes back at a certain % which will give us greater freedom and choice with lenders, and of course taking into consideration applicable fees etc.
It makes no sense for us to just sit on 4.4% and wait for 2-3 interest rate cuts, we need to either switch lenders (if possible, pending valuation) or look at fixing a portion.
07-06-2016 02:35 #27
Yes that's exactly why fixed is at a low rate, but 2 years isn't long to lock into. For us personally it's weighing up our potential savings over a 2 year period if we take the gamble and 'stay' at our current comparatively high variable rate, or fix a portion now, immediately saving us thousands while we wait for the variable rate to drop. Yes it will most likely drop but we would need to calculate how much extra we would be paying until that drop/s occur, if they occur.
It's weighing up guaranteed money savings now verses potential future money savings. It's quite difficult to always have the best possible rate, someone is always going to have a slightly better deal.
This is why splitting the loan is attractive in our situation, it may work out better than taking a gamble and waiting, or work out very similar over a 2 year period (the piece of mind now does hold some value to us given I am on maternity leave).
07-06-2016 04:56 #28
07-06-2016 05:00 #29
Why would you fix with a lender that has high variable rates to begin with? Switch to a better/more competitive lender and then look at fixing with THEM.
ETA: it's not exactly a gamble waiting for rates to drop .. When fixed rates are offered below the variable rate it means that banks expect the cash rate to drop. When fixed rates are above variable, the expect cash rate to rise. It's just economics.
Having said that, if you are looking at fixing only a portion of your loan I guess you would get the best of both worlds, but you can shop around now for a better rate with different lenders, and each bank will do their own valuation. If you bought 3 years ago at the bottom of the market, you should definitely have significant equity now.
Last edited by witherwings; 07-06-2016 at 05:07.
07-06-2016 05:01 #30
Last edited by BigRedV; 07-06-2016 at 05:11.
By moosey in forum Movies / Music / Books / TV ChatReplies: 28Last Post: 01-02-2016, 13:40
By lel in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 12Last Post: 24-06-2015, 13:48
By babylove81 in forum Movies / Music / Books / TV ChatReplies: 115Last Post: 09-06-2015, 20:12
Prams and StrollersLooking to buy a pram or stroller? :: Viewer reviews of prams :: Pram Buyers ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
Does conventional IVF produce more boys?pregnancy and babies through IVF
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Show me your lunchbox 2017!!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
Am I the only thread killer??General Chat