+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I'm of the belief it's better to try and work with your neighbour to come up with a solution before getting authorities involved.

I just don't agree with calling the pound when a solution may be very close to being reached.

And yes, I would exclude my child from playing in the yard until I deem it to be safe again.
    Of course it's nearly always best to try and work with neighbours first. I believe that's what the OP has tried to do.

Surely though, there would be a point at which you were not willing to 'wait' any longer to regain use of your backyard?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be ringing and asking the landlord to fix the fence personally...they can go halves with the landlord of the other house.
    The neighbour's have tried to block the dog, but it hasn't worked. If a more permanent fixture is required then landlords should be the one to fix it, yeah?
    Last edited by Full House; 06-06-2016 at 18:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course it's nearly always best to try and work with neighbours first. I believe that's what the OP has tried to do.

Surely though, there would be a point at which you were not willing to 'wait' any longer to regain use of your backyard?
    Yes, there would be a point. I dare say after asking a few times nicely and no action being taken, a deadline would be given to get it fixed, otherwise further action will be taken.

I guess the OP is close to reaching this point, though hopefully there will be a resolution as a result of her most recent conversation with the neighbour.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, if a neighbour told me my dog was in their yard, i would react and fix the problem asap! I would feel terrible, especially if there was a young child in there! Even if it meant plugging the hole with rocks until the landlord fixed it (i assume dog is allowed). I think its sad the onus is on you. Its not you who needs the fence fixed, its them. Given the agent is common, it could be worth a try approaching them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Are you able to pick the dog up? If so, next time you find it in your yard, pick it up and take it to your neighbours and say " He has been in our yard again, so ive contacted the landlord as obviously the fence needs looking at"!
    I thought about picking it up earlier but changed my mind. It's a little terrier type dog and they can be yappy. Instead, today I knocked on her door and she came to get it from my yard but it had disappeared.

I'm going to ring the rental agent tomorrow and request maintenance on the fence because it's not secure. And if they're going to rent to dog owners it needs to be. However, going by past experience nothing will happen even if I send numerous calls and emails.

I actually didn't get a chance to look at the fence before it got dark, but will do tomorrow.

To add to the story they actually have a bigger dog too but sent it to live with her mum a few weeks back because it was also in my yard, running around fast, almost knocked my toddler over, and jumped up at me scratching my belly. It wasn't aggressive but too friendly. It was too big to get out under my gate so I had to let it out and it was so crazy it ran off down the road. They had to chase it to retrieve it. So yeah, glad that one is gone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go over and explain that your child is scared of the dog and the dog poops in your yard. Tell the neighbours that you can't use your yard because of this. If that doesn't work then I would contact the agent and in the meantime find some material like old bricks or wood to block the hole of possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (08-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I thought about picking it up earlier but changed my mind. It's a little terrier type dog and they can be yappy. Instead, today I knocked on her door and she came to get it from my yard but it had disappeared.

I'm going to ring the rental agent tomorrow and request maintenance on the fence because it's not secure. And if they're going to rent to dog owners it needs to be. However, going by past experience nothing will happen even if I send numerous calls and emails.

I actually didn't get a chance to look at the fence before it got dark, but will do tomorrow.

To add to the story they actually have a bigger dog too but sent it to live with her mum a few weeks back because it was also in my yard, running around fast, almost knocked my toddler over, and jumped up at me scratching my belly. It wasn't aggressive but too friendly. It was too big to get out under my gate so I had to let it out and it was so crazy it ran off down the road. They had to chase it to retrieve it. So yeah, glad that one is gone!
    OMG - that is ridiculous. These people clearly know there is an issue if they've sent the other dog away.

What are you thoughts on contacting the agent together (with your neighbour)? Perhaps that would spur the landlords into action.

Kudos to you for dealing with this so patiently. For all you know the neighbours have contacted their landlord; with no action.

If still nothing happens, perhaps you could take the landlord to VCAT (or equivalent in your state) to fix it as is a safety issue.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Next time it does it grab it and take it to the pound. They'll have to pay a fee to get it out. Do that a couple of times and I"m sure they'll pay for the hole to be fixed up.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (06-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (17-06-2016),mrswhitehouse  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't take it to the pound if you know who owns it ( it's the first thing they will ask plus its a waste of your time ) the best thing to do ( apart from written notice to the agent informing them of hole in fence and neighbours dog constantly in your yard , which means your right to quiet enjoyment of the home is compromised so you want it rectified or you will get a specific performance repair order from the tenancy tribunal if it's not fixed) is to call the local council, they will have a ranger come out and inspect the hole in the fence, it's illegal for dogs to roam the streets so they will possibly fine the dog owner ( or at least give a warning of a fine) which will then prompt them to also tell the agent to fix it ASAP , every time it gets out keep calling the council

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-06-2016),LaDiDah  (17-06-2016),Sonja  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    You can't take it to the pound if you know who owns it ( it's the first thing they will ask plus its a waste of your time ) the best thing to do ( apart from written notice to the agent informing them of hole in fence and neighbours dog constantly in your yard , which means your right to quiet enjoyment of the home is compromised so you want it rectified or you will get a specific performance repair order from the tenancy tribunal if it's not fixed) is to call the local council, they will have a ranger come out and inspect the hole in the fence, it's illegal for dogs to roam the streets so they will possibly fine the dog owner ( or at least give a warning of a fine) which will then prompt them to also tell the agent to fix it ASAP , every time it gets out keep calling the council
    You can take it to the pound if you know who owns it. It's strayed, the owner has been advised and it continues to happen so you it's completely legal to impound the dog yourself and deliver it to the ranger.