+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,183
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked
    580
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybird View Post
    Someone i know forgot to tell centrelink that they were living with their partner for 2 or 3 years and had to pay back $20k. They weren't taken to court or anything.
    Lol @ forgot to tell centrelink...so she just conveniently continued to receive SPP for that long? Please!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,183
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked
    580
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know of a story where a woman had a $100,000 debt with centrelink and she was still allowed to receive payments and not prosecuted.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,571
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked
    356
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I know of a story where a woman had a $100,000 debt with centrelink and she was still allowed to receive payments and not prosecuted.
    Really? Wow. They must of been taking it out slowly from her payments though.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,254
    Thanks
    1,395
    Thanked
    1,297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe even if you tell Centrelink that you have underestimated your income, you don't actually have to pay anything back until you lodge your tax return (so they can do a reconciliation). But telling them your circumstances have changed will affect the payments you currently receive until you give them your new estimate.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked
    363
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I believe even if you tell Centrelink that you have underestimated your income, you don't actually have to pay anything back until you lodge your tax return (so they can do a reconciliation). But telling them your circumstances have changed will affect the payments you currently receive until you give them your new estimate.
    PPS is different to FTB - you have to report your exact earnings fortnightly & your fortnightly payments are based on that report. There is no reconciliation done at tax time as it is gross income that you are reporting.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,254
    Thanks
    1,395
    Thanked
    1,297
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    PPS is different to FTB - you have to report your exact earnings fortnightly & your fortnightly payments are based on that report. There is no reconciliation done at tax time as it is gross income that you are reporting.
    I thought she was referring to FTB. My mistake!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,571
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked
    356
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apparently you have to tell them about parenting payment.....as family tax A and B get done through tax.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,183
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked
    580
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Really? Wow. They must of been taking it out slowly from her payments though.
    If you say u can't afford amd are on an income support payment then they won't take a lot . .someone on say new start will die before they pay back $100,000.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,062
    Thanks
    493
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Only read first post

    Keep a record of all contact. Include
    * name if who you talk to
    * what was discussed
    * how they treated you
    * what action you expect
    * time and date of call

    As you dobbed yourself in and the short time of the situation I find it highly unlikely that there will be any negative fall out for you other than having to pay them back.

    People underestimate all the time. Some on purpose some by mistake. It generally is sorted one way or another.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Centrelink help please
    By LeahsMum16 in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-04-2016, 22:23
  2. Centrelink help please!!!
    By Theboys&me in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-03-2016, 22:25
  3. Centrelink and tax
    By Mamasupial in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-07-2015, 07:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Innovations Sports PhysiotherapyWomen’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›