+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PND, Medication & Breastfeeding

I finally got my butt to the doctor after everything thats been going on the past few months and told him that I think I am depressed. He asked me why and I told him that Id been having trouble getting to sleep, had been very moody, easily frustrated and angered with Matilda and that Id raised my voice to her all to often. He asked me if I felt I was uncontrollable and I said no. He told me he would presribe some anti-deps. I told him I am still breastfeeding and he said that changes things. So he said he would give me one of the older drugs because althought hey arent as effective as the newer ones they know they are safer while breastfeeding.

He presribed something called " Prothiadin".

I am thinking that I am going to get a 2nd opnion first. I mean not on the PND thing because Ive known that for long enough and just had to swallow it and get my butt in gear. I guess you never want to face it. But he just didnt seem to ask many questions about whats been going on. And wrote the script to easily. And told me that I should start to wean Matilda off the breast so I could take something stronger.

I dont want to do that. I know there has to be something I can take that is safe while feeding her still. I am in no fit state to even consider a drastic change like that.

Any advice? Anyone used meds while breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was on aropax though my pregnancy and the 10 months that I breastfed.

Two GP's and my Ob/Gyn approved it totally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Krisseh, Im not saying you don't need the meds, but have you considered getting some counselling first?

You might just need someone to talk to. Motherhood is tough and I know you have your mum and family around, but maybe you would start to feel better by just talking to someone and getting some coping strategies.

Does it feel like a chemical or hormonal imbalance, or it is just that it has been building up to this point and is a situational conflict rather than actual PND?

You're a flippin EXCELLENT mother but you're basically doing it on your own and there are unresolved issues with Matilda's father as well. Quite frankly, if you weren't feeling a little down it would be surprising.

I don't want to trivialise PND which does need meds, I just want to make sure that you agree with the doctor's diagnosis because it sounds pretty drastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Krisseh, I was told by a stupid dr to wean MJ, then come back & he'd prescribe something Great after i told them i didnt trust myself & WORRIED i'd hurt my baby

There are plenty of safe meds out there, just have to find an educated Dr.

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the responses girlies. I have tried talking but it only seems to take the adge off for a while before it comes right on back.

I did have a good talk with my yesterday about whats been going on and she said to do what I think is right and she agrees that there is no need to wean matilda at all.

Neither of us can really believe the doc was so quick to write a presription and barely ask questions. He is usually very quick and to ask me to wean . .thats just well . .stupid!!

Does anyone else have any advice they can offer? Maybe even herbal? I really want to get this taken care of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried St Johns Wort? That worked for me (when i remembered to take it ) Its safe with bf, herbal. You can get it at chemists, but Coles is cheaper, about $14 for 60 tablets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

i havent yet seen my dr i see the hospitial post natal worker tomorow about my pnd so i am not on anything at the moment, i havent got counsellign for it or anything.
    as a bub hubber told me: keep talking the magic of bub hub is amazing
    i find writing my feelings down helps a bit but it doesnt last long.
    i hope you find your answers soon