+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd!?

so dh had a (potentially) horrific thing happen to him at work yesterday. his work did a cancer council morning tea and everyone brought in something. dh had made a lovely bacon and leek quiche the night before. it was a hit, every piece went. except the poor person who ate the last piece got a bit more than they bargained for. a pie weight had obviously gone astray and hidden inside the quiche! I think she chomped down on it, luckily no tooth damage.

I felt sick as dh was telling me this story. kept thinking omg what if she'd choked!? or what if she'd cracked/broken a tooth!?

you could potentially be up for thousands of dollars of dental work!?

so my question is hypothetical but WWYD if the person had damaged a tooth and required dental work? who pays? the person who brought in the food? the workplace in which it was served? or is it just tough luck and that's the risk we assume when we consume food prepared by someone else in their home?

ftr dh was mortified and quite distressed about it, as was I! he's taken in a nice bottle of wine for the person to say sorry. I just keep thinking thank goodness nothing worse happened!

moral of the story - men and pie weights don't mix 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the person who made the quiche should offer to pay for the tooth damage. I don't think the workplace should be held responsible.

What a relief that there was no damage done though!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (24-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I think the person who made the quiche should offer to pay for the tooth damage. I don't think the workplace should be held responsible.

I know!!!

and then imagine if the person had no insurance and you had to foot the entire bill!?

far out, I actually feel sick thinking about the possibilities.

perhaps offering to pay half would be another compromise?

I've learned a valuable lesson here...be super super careful when preparing food for others! it was a simple mistake but could've ended much worse (and been very expensive!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I know!!!

and then imagine if the person had no insurance and you had to foot the entire bill!?

far out, I actually feel sick thinking about the possibilities.

perhaps offering to pay half would be another compromise?

I've learned a valuable lesson here...be super super careful when preparing food for others! it was a simple mistake but could've ended much worse (and been very expensive!)
    I suppose it depends on the person too - some people probably wouldn't expect the quiche maker to fork out for the dental bill in full and would be happy with a compromise of partial payment?

Personally though, even though it would financially kill me, I'd still feel liable and obliged to cover their costs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I'd made the quiche I'd definitely be offering to pay for any dental work. I'd feel so terrible!

Glad it all worked out ok in this case and no harm was done!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (24-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

This..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-05-2016)