+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 339
  1. #231
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,344
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been reading along, with interest, and many people have put forward valuable discussion points.

    But there has also been an unappealing flavour of "If I don't get my boy and girl, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum, and create a DSM-V psychiatric illness so I can get my own way!". Very disturbing.

    Outside of choosing physical traits in a sperm donor for IVF so bubs can look like Mum (before life has been created), and outside of selecting embryos where there is an established inherited sex-chromosome abnormality, I absolutely do not think it should be allowed. I think it's a terrible path to follow.

    By all means, have Medicare-funded counselling available for couples experiencing "gender disappointment". Allow them to feel supported in their "grief". I'm not a heartless b!tch, and I am not disputing the validity of gender disappointment. But this ain't right.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #232
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,664
    Thanks
    3,275
    Thanked
    1,956
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post


    So it's a hard question. I guess I personally wouldn't chose to do it as I don't believe that it's my place to chose. However I don't know how I feel about others choosing. And even if people do chose their gender I wonder how they would feel for example if they had all boys then selected a girl but the girl wanted to be a tomboy & didn't want to dress up in pretty dresses & do girly things? Or the other way around desperately wanting a boy but then get one that wants to do girly sort of things?

    I thought the same things when I first started thinking about this topic. But then I thought well these parents would feel the same disappointment if they naturally conceived the gender of their choice and the child didn't live up to the parents expectations. (The poor child 😔).

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (23-05-2016),BettyW  (23-05-2016)

  4. #233
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    885
    Thanked
    2,043
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't see that as pro choice. A 39 week old baby can live outside the uterus. That's not something I can accept yet still I am pro choice.
    Then what about a viable 35 week old foetus, whose mother just found out it had DS? Or a 37 week old foetus whose 14 year old mother has only just discovered she is pregnant, and doesnt want to continue the pregnancy? Thats where I struggle. Pro choice is pro choice. Supporting a mothers right to choose,whether or not you agree with why. Or when. Lots of viable foetuses are terminated for various reasons. I guess we all have a 'line' that we feel shouldnt be crossed. 100% pro choice means supporting a mothers right to choose, at any gestation, for any reason. 100% pro life means... not taking contraception? I think most of us sit somewhere in between the two.

    Sorry, I've shot off into a tangent.

  5. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I have been reading along, with interest, and many people have put forward valuable discussion points.

    But there has also been an unappealing flavour of "If I don't get my boy and girl, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum, and create a DSM-V psychiatric illness so I can get my own way!". Very disturbing.

    Outside of choosing physical traits in a sperm donor for IVF so bubs can look like Mum (before life has been created), and outside of selecting embryos where there is an established inherited sex-chromosome abnormality, I absolutely do not think it should be allowed. I think it's a terrible path to follow.

    By all means, have Medicare-funded counselling available for couples experiencing "gender disappointment". Allow them to feel supported in their "grief". I'm not a heartless b!tch, and I am not disputing the validity of gender disappointment. But this ain't right.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Lol sorry, you're "not a heartless b!tch" and yet you're accusing women who have GD of throwing a temper tantrum, and creating a DSM-V psychiatric illness so they can get their own way. Thats a pretty nasty comment. That isn't what these women are doing AT ALL. They just want to access a technology that is readily available in other countries so they can complete their own families. You have the right to oppose gender selection, but you don't have the right to belittle or accuse these women about their desires or their "grief" as you so kindly put in commas because clearly you think it's a load of bollocks. I truly believe that you have no right to be outwardly judgy until you've walked in someone's shoes. You don't get it, that's OK, but don't throw insults about these women having a temper tantrum etc.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (23-05-2016),Gentoo  (23-05-2016),KitiK  (23-05-2016)

  7. #235
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,664
    Thanks
    3,275
    Thanked
    1,956
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

    But there has also been an unappealing flavour of "If I don't get my boy and girl, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum, and create a DSM-V psychiatric illness so I can get my own way!". Very disturbing.


    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I haven't got that vibe at all?

  8. #236
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Then what about a viable 35 week old foetus, whose mother just found out it had DS? Or a 37 week old foetus whose 14 year old mother has only just discovered she is pregnant, and doesnt want to continue the pregnancy? Thats where I struggle. Pro choice is pro choice. Supporting a mothers right to choose,whether or not you agree with why. Or when. Lots of viable foetuses are terminated for various reasons. I guess we all have a 'line' that we feel shouldnt be crossed. 100% pro choice means supporting a mothers right to choose, at any gestation, for any reason. 100% pro life means... not taking contraception? I think most of us sit somewhere in between the two.

    Sorry, I've shot off into a tangent.
    I don't have any answers for that. To me, pro choice is not supporting termination at any gestation. We had a very detailed thread on this a few years ago and a number of members linked many discussions about why this isn't pro choice. I don't have the info handy but it did give me some peace of mind.
    Last edited by Sonja; 23-05-2016 at 12:50.

  9. #237
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,664
    Thanks
    3,275
    Thanked
    1,956
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Out of curiosity, if it were easy and cheap for your hubby to swing by a doctors office, go in a cup and then pick up a vial of 'boy sperm' and girl sperm' a week later - would you have done this?

  10. #238
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,921
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked
    2,344
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Lol sorry, you're "not a heartless b!tch" and yet you're accusing women who have GD of throwing a temper tantrum, and creating a DSM-V psychiatric illness so they can get their own way. Thats a pretty nasty comment. That isn't what these women are doing AT ALL. They just want to access a technology that is readily available in other countries so they can complete their own families. You have the right to oppose gender selection, but you don't have the right to belittle or accuse these women about their desires or their "grief" as you so kindly put in commas because clearly you think it's a load of bollocks. I truly believe that you have no right to be outwardly judgy until you've walked in someone's shoes. You don't get it, that's OK, but don't throw insults about these women having a temper tantrum etc.
    Alright, you're probably right, I am being judgmental, and I'm owning up to that. But I see this as a pretty nasty use of ART.

    No, I haven't had gender disappointment. My disappointment came in another form. I wanted a third baby very, very much...but instead I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and chemotherapy put me into a post-menopausal state. So yes, I do understand grieving the family you thought you would, or should, have.

    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

  11. #239
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Alright, you're probably right, I am being judgmental, and I'm owning up to that. But I see this as a pretty nasty use of ART.

    No, I haven't had gender disappointment. My disappointment came in another form. I wanted a third baby very, very much...but instead I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and chemotherapy put me into a post-menopausal state. So yes, I do understand grieving the family you thought you would, or should, have.

    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm so sorry that this happened to you

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

    J37  (24-05-2016)

  13. #240
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    Actually, statistically, late term abortions are overwhelmingly for foetal anomaly. I personally couldn't see myself terminating a healthy pregnancy, but like you, I would never take away someone's choice to do so.
    There aren't a lot of studies on this and the ones I've seen were American. They had the % for teenage girls as very high. But whatever the reason I still remain pro choice.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gender selection in US
    By RoosterD in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 13:58
  2. PGD Gender Selection
    By Liana2B in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-12-2015, 18:53
  3. Questions re gender selection via IVF
    By BettyW in forum IVF
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-11-2015, 23:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue BankCryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 14 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›