+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

My FB news feed is chock full of stories about the dairy industry and people posting 'yay' photos of supermarket fridges with hardly any home brand sold.

I'm grocery shopping tomorrow and feel like I should wear dark glasses and a wig. Buying 16l of milk a week, if I switch to branded that will mean an extra $30-40 on the grocery bill, which would completely blow our budget.
    **edit - did my original maths wrong - would be $16-20ish extra a week. Sorry, I shouldn't try any thinking before 9am!

Do you buy branded milk only? Is there a cheaper branded milk in Vic?

Is buying branded milk actually going to make a difference to what farmers get paid when it sounds like they're being screwed over in general (eg. Back dating price changes and witholding payment)?
    Last edited by Stretched; 20-05-2016 at 09:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think it's marketing. There's a lot of competition and to me home brand is quiet light, not thick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We buy branded milk only and more specifically source locally produced milk. I've not ever bought Coles/woollies brand milk - what is happening now was inevitable the minute $1 a litre milk happened.

I can absolutely understand your dilemma though. We only use 4l a week so no where near what your family is consuming.

I'm in ACT so can't help on what might be locally available for you - hopefully someone will.

As for whether it will help farmers to buy branded - yes I think it will. If enough people get behind it and refuse to buy the store brands. If people buy locally produced milk this will help send a message to the big 2 and local producers that they have a viable product to sell.

Yes you will pay more. But you can't have a viable dairy industry that pays its workers award wages, that is packaged in an environmentally sound way, transported (again by someone earning an award wage) etc... Without paying more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Branded UHT milk is quite a bit cheaper than branded fresh milk so might be an option of paying extra isn't in your budget.

It's a personal choice though, I don't mind UHT milk, DF on the other hand won't go near it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I buy branded milk but I wait until it's discounted except it's the kids milk. It lasts a week past due date I live in SA or I goto farmers market its Paris creek I buy so delicious.

Coles milk etc is gross and gives me runs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I have a bottle of Coles milk coming in my delivery today but I want to make the switch so this will be the last one I buy. The extra money has been putting me off too. The main trigger to get me to change my mind was the realisation that I pay extra for eggs to ensure chickens are well cared for but I've been refusing to do the same for dairy farmers. I'm going to have to have a look at my shopping list to see where else I can cut costs.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (20-05-2016),KitiK  (20-05-2016),misho  (20-05-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (20-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (20-05-2016),SuperGranny  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I *think* the branded milk is also something to not buy in some instances. There are 2 dairy producers (excuse me if this is the wrong term. My head is so freaking stuffed and fuzzy from this ridiculous cold) that now pay less than what milk costs to produce. Also, they have backdated these lower costs so now farmers owe them quite a bit of money. The two companies.are Murray Goulburn and Fonterra. Just google them and it will come up with a list of brands under a Wikipedia link.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-05-2016),BornToBe  (20-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in London but I buy raw goat and cow milk directly from the farmer for AUD $6 (£3) a litre.
    We drink about 2L a week and and we know that we are directly supporting farmers.
    We buy almost exclusively from the farmers market - yes it's expensive but it's a cause we feel passionate about - locally produced, organic food.
    I am seeing a lot of these posts on fb from my Australian friends and family and if it is supporting farmers than I think that's fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We buy branded milk. We only go through 2 litres a week though so the extra cost is minimal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We only buy certain branded dairy products (Luckily we are in a position to do this - understand many just can't afford to). The taste is better & the companies who haven't gutted the price that farmers get are supported.

What is happening to farmers makes me sick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app