+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I am disgusted by my new schools attitude to naplan. I've come to a new school this year where they coach for the test from day 1 term 1.

Not only that, but it's "all hands on deck" during naplan week. All gr 3 and 5 students are pushed into breakfast club on naplan mornings whether they want it or not.
    Timetables are turned around, affecting the whole school just for naplan that is meant to take part during timetabled hours (meaning it makes no difference to timetables- they do it so they have extra staff on hand to capture data)
    The capturing of data requires every test to be photocopied and kept on file. I'm quite sure this is HIGHLY against the rules of naplan.
    I walked into the staff room on Friday and said hi to one of the "leading teachers" and she completely ignored me. I was told not to worry, she is stressed because it's naplan week. Um.. She doesn't have a class, she isn't a level leader.. She floats where needed?
    And the most ridiculous thing is we are desperate for the extra money low naplan results would bring in... But the leaders are so desperate to present a face of the school where advancement happens across all levels. It's driving me nuts.
    It's such a contrast because I've come from a tiny school where I ran naplan and I was so relaxed about the whole thing, and in turn the kids were relaxed and they did perfectly fine! 🙄

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    .... they do it so they have extra staff on hand to capture data)
    The capturing of data requires every test to be photocopied and kept on file. I'm quite sure this is HIGHLY against the rules of naplan.
    - this is a definite no no .....I am pretty sure it even says no copies are to be kept.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (15-05-2016),Stretched  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Even though DS is 2 years away from starting preschool I checked out the local school/s to check NAPLAN (on my schools website).

I'll also note I discovered a school I did not know existed and it is 2 times bigger than my local school!

Anyway - there is about 350 kids (prep-yr 6) and it has such an average score. 18% bottom with 19% top and the rest in the middle. Compared to the others (5% bottom and 3% bottom and both over 50% top) I am assuming that they do not 'coach' or focus on NAPLAN. I hope.

It scares me that there is so much focus and pressure on a test for kids so young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Even though DS is 2 years away from starting preschool I checked out the local school/s to check NAPLAN (on my schools website).

I'll also note I discovered a school I did not know existed and it is 2 times bigger than my local school!

Anyway - there is about 350 kids (prep-yr 6) and it has such an average score. 18% bottom with 19% top and the rest in the middle. Compared to the others (5% bottom and 3% bottom and both over 50% top) I am assuming that they do not 'coach' or focus on NAPLAN. I hope.

It scares me that there is so much focus and pressure on a test for kids so young.
    Which percentages are you talking about?

Those percentages (as in top, middle and bottom quarters) are showing the percentage of children in each social advantage quarter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    - this is a definite no no .....I am pretty sure it even says no copies are to be kept.
    This!!! It is 100% not allowed for any of the tests to be copied (photocopied, photographed, scanned or transcribed). I left my test administrators handbook at work but it is stated in there.