+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,910
    Thanks
    7,195
    Thanked
    7,294
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I am disgusted by my new schools attitude to naplan. I've come to a new school this year where they coach for the test from day 1 term 1.

    Not only that, but it's "all hands on deck" during naplan week. All gr 3 and 5 students are pushed into breakfast club on naplan mornings whether they want it or not.
    Timetables are turned around, affecting the whole school just for naplan that is meant to take part during timetabled hours (meaning it makes no difference to timetables- they do it so they have extra staff on hand to capture data)
    The capturing of data requires every test to be photocopied and kept on file. I'm quite sure this is HIGHLY against the rules of naplan.
    I walked into the staff room on Friday and said hi to one of the "leading teachers" and she completely ignored me. I was told not to worry, she is stressed because it's naplan week. Um.. She doesn't have a class, she isn't a level leader.. She floats where needed?
    And the most ridiculous thing is we are desperate for the extra money low naplan results would bring in... But the leaders are so desperate to present a face of the school where advancement happens across all levels. It's driving me nuts.
    It's such a contrast because I've come from a tiny school where I ran naplan and I was so relaxed about the whole thing, and in turn the kids were relaxed and they did perfectly fine! 🙄

  2. #22
    Mod-biscotti's Avatar
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    16,313
    Thanks
    1,719
    Thanked
    3,753
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    .... they do it so they have extra staff on hand to capture data)
    The capturing of data requires every test to be photocopied and kept on file. I'm quite sure this is HIGHLY against the rules of naplan.
    - this is a definite no no .....I am pretty sure it even says no copies are to be kept.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Nomsie  (15-05-2016),Stretched  (15-05-2016)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,833
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked
    3,029
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Even though DS is 2 years away from starting preschool I checked out the local school/s to check NAPLAN (on my schools website).

    I'll also note I discovered a school I did not know existed and it is 2 times bigger than my local school!

    Anyway - there is about 350 kids (prep-yr 6) and it has such an average score. 18% bottom with 19% top and the rest in the middle. Compared to the others (5% bottom and 3% bottom and both over 50% top) I am assuming that they do not 'coach' or focus on NAPLAN. I hope.

    It scares me that there is so much focus and pressure on a test for kids so young.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,029
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    7,633
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Even though DS is 2 years away from starting preschool I checked out the local school/s to check NAPLAN (on my schools website).

    I'll also note I discovered a school I did not know existed and it is 2 times bigger than my local school!

    Anyway - there is about 350 kids (prep-yr 6) and it has such an average score. 18% bottom with 19% top and the rest in the middle. Compared to the others (5% bottom and 3% bottom and both over 50% top) I am assuming that they do not 'coach' or focus on NAPLAN. I hope.

    It scares me that there is so much focus and pressure on a test for kids so young.
    Which percentages are you talking about?

    Those percentages (as in top, middle and bottom quarters) are showing the percentage of children in each social advantage quarter.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,225
    Thanks
    1,627
    Thanked
    2,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    - this is a definite no no .....I am pretty sure it even says no copies are to be kept.
    This!!! It is 100% not allowed for any of the tests to be copied (photocopied, photographed, scanned or transcribed). I left my test administrators handbook at work but it is stated in there.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Poor NAPLAN results for local school...
    By Little Miss Sunshine in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 24-03-2016, 07:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training ProductsToilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›