Closed Thread
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 400
  1. #211
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,060
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked
    2,882
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Thing is I do agree with the sentiments of if it works for them, so be it absolutely. *However* it doesn't stop me having an opinion on the situation or making a judgement on the situation or voicing my judgement.

    Just like I'm happy for you to say you wouldn't be ok with the golf. That's okay, you're entitled to that opinion and you've made a judgement call. I'm not about to tell you that you should keep your mouth shut about it.

    ETA okay, 4.5 hours for DH and 16 for the finches that's stil 3.5 times as long 😜

    ETA ETA maybe more than 16 if the daughter still wakes in the night and they get out of night wakings 😜😜
    I think the issue for me was how harsh your words have been when judging. I know she put it out there, but you made some pretty big accusations with your judgement, and it just didn't sit well with me. Hence my numerous posts about it 😂
    I'm pretty done with this discussion now, time to put my energy elsewhere ☺

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The way this conversation has turned is interesting for me.

    I now actually find myself not disagreeing with what she's doing. When I was little my grandparents lived next door to us. I asked my mother about sleepovers and how much time my sister and I spent at my grandparents when we were under 5. Mum reckons we lived at their place. We would have lived there from Friday night to Sunday evening if we could have. She used to have to go over and make us come home. My grandmother had a bedroom set up for us with a special bed each and toys which we could only play with there. We adored that time.

    I also find it ridiculous to focus on the number of hours spent out of the house. So many posters on here admit that they find their kids frustrating and struggle to entertain them. Heck we had a beyond crappy day with ours yesterday as they're overtired from school and the whining hit a factor of 11/10. I spent the afternoon yelling and being frustrated. I'm sure my kids would have preferred a day with happy grandparents over me 😜

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (15-05-2016),Full House  (15-05-2016)

  4. #213
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanks
    5,898
    Thanked
    4,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I think the issue for me was how harsh your words have been when judging. I know she put it out there, but you made some pretty big accusations with your judgement, and it just didn't sit well with me. Hence my numerous posts about it 😂
    I'm pretty done with this discussion now, time to put my energy elsewhere ☺
    What in particular? The setting her up for potential emotional issues? The selfish part? I can't think of anything else that was too harsh.

  5. #214
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,960
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Must be normal among my circle of acquaintances. I like to celebrate my friends and families accomplishments and victories.

    Every victory is celebrated. My mother threw a party when I got my AF for the first time. I organized a dinner party to honour her menopause. Tho she wasn't as amused. Haha.
    I wouldn't consider either of those gloating. I would consider them having a joke/honoring cultural traditions. Gloating to me is saying "I'm freakin awesome blah blah blah" , which is then sometimes followed with a dig at the alternative way of doing things which compounds the gloating as affect.

    Eg "I am so happy! I'm a freakin awesome wife as hubby and I have sex 40 times per week... I don't get how some couples don't have at least 5 shags per week. I'm not judging though if that's how they want to live their life - fine."

    To me that's gloating. Your family celebrations sound intriguing and pretty cool.

  6. #215
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,960
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What in particular? The setting her up for potential emotional issues? The selfish part? I can't think of anything else that was too harsh.
    Maybe your posts are being confused with mine?

  7. #216
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanks
    5,898
    Thanked
    4,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Getting your period is a big thing in some cultures and often involves celebration and gifts. I think it's great that it's not taboo.
    Ok, sorry I apologise.

  8. #217
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,204
    Thanked
    3,904
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    See I find that weird! A period party!? And people actually came!? 🤗
    Yep. 22 invited yet 30 odd people turned up. Even people I didn't know. That was mortifying.

    But as an adult with girls of my own, I understand the significance and I will do them for my Kidd.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (15-05-2016)

  10. #218
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,204
    Thanked
    3,904
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Ok, sorry I apologise.
    None taken. I understand not everyone will have the same traditions I have.

  11. #219
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanks
    5,898
    Thanked
    4,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    So was it when you got AF for the first time or after you had your kids? I actually read it as when you had your kids and it returned. First time kind of makes sense.

    What Australian traditions do you not get? I sense another spin off. I'd love to know about other cultures celebrations and to hear what Australian celebrations or traditions we have that non-Australians on the hub find weird!?

  12. #220
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    918
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The way this conversation has turned is interesting for me.

    I now actually find myself not disagreeing with what she's doing. When I was little my grandparents lived next door to us. I asked my mother about sleepovers and how much time my sister and I spent at my grandparents when we were under 5. Mum reckons we lived at their place. We would have lived there from Friday night to Sunday evening if we could have. She used to have to go over and make us come home. My grandmother had a bedroom set up for us with a special bed each and toys which we could only play with there. We adored that time.

    I also find it ridiculous to focus on the number of hours spent out of the house. So many posters on here admit that they find their kids frustrating and struggle to entertain them. Heck we had a beyond crappy day with ours yesterday as they're overtired from school and the whining hit a factor of 11/10. I spent the afternoon yelling and being frustrated. I'm sure my kids would have preferred a day with happy grandparents over me 😜
    This is an interesting viewpoint. I never had grandparents and feel that due to that I have no idea how to appreciate the idea of them for my DD ( or include them in her life properly )..

    I guess for me tho the idea of 'every Friday/Saturday' is a bit too rigid.. What if the little girl doesn't want to go one day? Would her parents still send her?

    I think so much here is unknown.,
    How good is the relationship with the little girl and her grandparents is one we don't know and only assume..


 

Similar Threads

  1. Spinoff:
    By Jontu in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 19:29
  2. All hail Netflix ***spinoff***
    By Moxy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 15:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
KindyROOKindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Positive or evap line??Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
Positive or evap line??Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Largest bassinets on market?Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
Primary IVF SydneyConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›