+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Some families believe that grandparents should play a huge role in their grandchildren's lives, I don't see that as a distasteful belief, the more people in a child's life that loves them and that they trust the better. .
    I totally agree (Unless the grandparents are unsavory of course in which case less may be best )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One a month okay.

Every weekend !!!???!!! Wtf are you a mother or just rent a womb.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's fantastic!! In fact I'm envious they have such a great support network. Prioritising their relationship sounds like a great idea to me. There's still 5 nights a week with Mum and Dad. I think it's refreshing to see people trusting in grand parents, building a bond and also remembering that they are people too. No judgement here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    There's still 5 nights a week with Mum and Dad.
    This makes me feel a little queasy in the guts.

"***Still** 5 nights per week"? Makes parenting sound like a part time job and the kid should be grateful that they get to spend 5/7 of their early years with their parents.

Darn kids wanting to spend time with their parents! Should be grateful they haven't been shipped off to baby boarding school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Darn kids wanting to spend time with their parents! Should be grateful they haven't been shipped off to baby boarding school!
    But sometimes kids also want quality time with their grandparents. My nephew spends every Friday night/Saturday morning with my parents. Occasionally he'll spend all day Saturday with them and even Saturday night too. Has done since he was 18 months old, so about 3 years now. He loves it, it is part of his routine. He is disappointed when anyone but grandad picks him up from childcare ("school") on a Friday afternoon. He has flat out refused to go home with my sister before on a Friday night when he had spent the Thursday night with mum and dad and would be spending the Saturday night there too. He actually climbed into his bed and refused to get out. It is not necessarily a bad thing. He idolises my dad. Grandad is his favourite person in the world. If mum, dad or Grammy tell him off, he deals with it, but if grandad tells him off he gets really sad (it's kinda cute). Doesn't mean he doesn't love my sister and BIL any less. He idolises his dad too, just in a different way. Usually they spend all day Sunday together if my sister is working, doing things together. It gives my sister a chance to pick up extra shifts at work, for my sister and BIL to go to Crossfit together on a Saturday morning plus have breakfast together afterwards. It helps give them a more balanced lifestyle. Does that make them any less of a parent because they enjoy some time alone together? Does that make them selfish parents?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    But VicPark you're assuming her child is unhappy with the set up and judging her based on assumptions. Maybe her child is truly happy.

No word of a lie if my DD could spend 2 nights a week with her grandparents every week she'd be like a pig in mud, she would be over the moon. She LOVES being with them. She begs me to have sleepovers there.

All families are different, some kids have a very informal, loving, strong relationship with grandparents and see them as basically another set of parents. It's not for everyone but it doesn't mean it's wrong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Unschooling4  (10-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This makes me feel a little queasy in the guts.

"***Still** 5 nights per week"? Makes parenting sound like a part time job and the kid should be grateful that they get to spend 5/7 of their early years with their parents.

But that's her normal, 5 nights out of 7 nights - imagine a SAHM saying how parents who work only spend 2 out of 7 days with their young kids , one could argue that also makes parenting seem like a part time job , it's all relevant to your own situation, there is no right or wrong, it's what works for your family

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-12-2016),babyno1onboard  (10-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (11-12-2016),lauzie  (11-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (11-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each to their own.
    My sister and i stayed at our grandparents every second weekend and on school holidays and we loved it. Even if we went every weekend we would still love going and never thought anything bad about our parents. My kids go to their (step) grandparents once a month or so, just over night not whole weekends so me and partner can spend time together and the kid's have fun and look forward to going.
    And if my kid's were happy to go every weekend and the inlaws or my dad/family was ok that would be fine too. Some of the best memories from my childhood was spent sleep overs at grandparents and other relatives.
    Last edited by Unschooling4; 10-12-2016 at 23:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is such a petty thread - she would probably spend more time with her daughter than many of us full time working parents do, so I mean really, move on! There is far worse happening to children than spending the weekends with their grandma.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bwrlab For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (11-12-2016),Full House  (11-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (11-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (11-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrlab View Post
    This is such a petty thread - she would probably spend more time with her daughter than many of us full time working parents do, so I mean really, move on! There is far worse happening to children than spending the weekends with their grandma.
    @brwlab I absolutely bloody agree. Ive come acroas this thread a couple of times and rolled my eyeballs soo hard..
    Who gives a bloody Hoot. I LOVED going to my Grandparents house as much as they loved having us. My DH and his siblings would go too their grandparents every second weekend and let me tell you, his parents are my idols they have raised AMAZING human beings the respect and love my DH and his siblings have for their parents is beautiful and i really hope to have that with our kids one day.
    I would have no problem with my Children having sleepovers at Nanny and Poppys every weekend.

Making your relationship somehwhat a priority sounds selfish but it actually isnt and I believe more couples should do it.

It works for them their Happy it wont be forever so leave the dam Woman alone.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BEARD88 For This Useful Post:

Full House  (11-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (11-12-2016)