+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't mind so much if the advice was about maintaining overall health and wellbeing as the best advice for beauty (because it really is!) and wearing sun screen daily which protects from skin cancer and has the added benefit of preventing premature ageing. Rather than it being about appearance first

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be fair, she was asked what "beauty" advice. But yeah, bit of a cringy response. My 4yo has been asking me "do I look pretty" or "do I look like a princess" a lot lately. I always say yes and follow it up with something like "and you're very clever/kind/creative/funny too" as while she is just 4, and princesses are her current thing, I don't want her to think it's all about being pretty!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I did not used to have an opinion on Rachael finch but I just came across this doozy reading who magazine-

"What beauty advice will you give your daughter?
    To know the importance of taking care of her skin and general appearance. "
    She also spoke how her mum always spent time on her appearance just to go to the corner store- apparently that is self respect.

Bleh. How about the importance of natural or inner beauty? Or that she's loved and doesn't need to "spend time" on her looks? I have no issues with make up, I enjoy doing myself up, but I know it's not important or necessary. Is slapping on make up to get milk really self respect?

How self absorbed. I feel sorry for her daughter, too bad if she's a tomboy and disappoints you. Fancy growing up in that environment. Your mum's too busy enjoying her weekends and making herself pretty.
    Thanks for the update. Now we know what Finchy was doing the 2 x nights per week she was kid free - focusing on her beauty regime.

Same as with Judd's focus on flogging the physical appearance as a virtue for young girls: blerghy blerghy bloody blerghy that sets the feminist movement back 50 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Probably best I don't comment on this one!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (01-12-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rachael Finch under fire - MIL babysits child every weekend

Welcome back VP.

I wrote that post hoping it would entice you back 😄

Yeah I get that it was "beauty" advice and they probably picked out what quotes they wanted (it was a little fluff piece).
    I agree sunscreen is vital but not so much to look good (though that is a bonus) but to protect your skin.

I just didn't like the terms "importance" and "self respect" linked with appearance.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 30-11-2016 at 04:44.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Californication  (30-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum was taught by her parents that you always looked good when you went out, no matter where it was they were going. It was taught to her as a sign of self respect. We laugh at the photos of us in parks as kids, we were dressed so well. I adapted more of a 'who cares' approach to my appearance, and it has always been fine.
    I don't think these coments are worth dragging up an old thread and continuing to scrutinize her. She was asked on beauty advice...which was basically wear sunscreen and dress nicely when out. She could have said a whole lot worse. Who knows if she'd even actually teach her daughter that...potentially she just answered the question with what she thought people woukd want to hear after last time.
    And honestly, who cares if she's spending her child free time working on her beauty regime? I certainly spend my child free time doing things for me that I like to do. I am wondering what people are supposed to do in their child free time that makes it 'okay' to be without them?
    Last edited by Full House; 30-11-2016 at 06:28.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    And honestly, who cares if she's spending her child free time working on her beauty regime? I certainly spend my child free time doing things for me that I like to do. I am wondering what people are supposed to do in their child free time that makes it 'okay' to be without them?
    I care. Let's put it in perspective. It's not like she would be catching the adhoc 5 minutes while her kid was on the toilet to put on moisturizer. If it was true she would be giving up 2-3 days per week every week with her kid to spend on her physical appearance. If it was true it would be frankly quite selfish and IMO disgusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I care. Let's put it in perspective. It's not like she would be catching the adhoc 5 minutes while her kid was on the toilet to put on moisturizer. If it was true she would be giving up 2-3 days per week every week with her kid to spend on her physical appearance. If it was true it would be frankly quite selfish and IMO disgusting.
    But she has said the two days a week are to spend time with her husband, not to do a 2 day a week beauty regime (I doubt anyone could spend 2 whole days a week on a beauty regime anyway). At the end of the day her kid is loved and looked after by people who love her. Their arrangement might not be one you'd choose yourself, but it's not worth getting annoyed about, especially when you've made up what she spends her time doing without any evidence at all. She probably does spend more time on her appearance than you or me...but that doesn't mean she's neglecting her child to do so.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-12-2016),Californication  (01-12-2016),rusty22  (01-12-2016),twinklify  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    But she has said the two days a week are to spend time with her husband, not to do a 2 day a week beauty regime (I doubt anyone could spend 2 whole days a week on a beauty regime anyway). At the end of the day her kid is loved and looked after by people who love her. Their arrangement might not be one you'd choose yourself, but it's not worth getting annoyed about, especially when you've made up what she spends her time doing without any evidence at all. She probably does spend more time on her appearance than you or me...but that doesn't mean she's neglecting her child to do so.
    I agree. There's far worse things a parent can do to their child than putting on makeup. While it's not my priority, I'm not a model and don't rely on my looks for income.

I wonder if VP would be so judgy and disgusted by a father who spent time in the gym or whatever every day spending time away from his family. Somehow, I think not.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I agree. There's far worse things a parent can do to their child than putting on makeup. While it's not my priority, I'm not a model and don't rely on my looks for income.

I wonder if VP would be so judgy and disgusted by a father who spent time in the gym or whatever every day spending time away from his family. Somehow, I think not.
    I think that's the thing...her profession is to be a model, her looks are her job. My hairdresser spends a long time getting ready each morning because her hair is a walking advertisement for her business, and she opens long hours so she only sees her child in the morning before work for three days in a row. Does that make her less of a mother because she is taking time to look the part for her job and not spending that time with her child? Not at all.
    I think if women (in general, not aimed at anyone here) let go of the expectations to be a martyr, and could realise that there is no one ideal way to raise a child, then women could probably relax and enjoy their children more.
    And, as a feminist I really wish women would stop attacking each other. Men don't do this to each other.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-12-2016),Californication  (01-12-2016),HillDweller  (01-12-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-12-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (01-12-2016),Mod-Wise Enough  (02-12-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-12-2016),twinklify  (01-12-2016)