+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0

    Default Shed Living

    Has anyone bout acreage and lived in either just a regular shed or a class 1 liveable shed?!?!

    Would love to hear experiences ...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,099
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked
    2,902
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @LoveLivesHere might be able to help.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016),preggasaurus  (11-05-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,197
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it a long term plan or temporary? We live on average and although we haven't done it, lots of people around us have, including mum and dad who did for about a year while building there house. There shed was BASIC and they were glad to move out. My neighbour has lived in her she'd off and on for 8 ish years (when not with her DH who works remote). Her shed is amazing in comparison, slate floor, insulation, aircon and fireplace.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Is it a long term plan or temporary? We live on average and although we haven't done it, lots of people around us have, including mum and dad who did for about a year while building there house. There shed was BASIC and they were glad to move out. My neighbour has lived in her she'd off and on for 8 ish years (when not with her DH who works remote). Her shed is amazing in comparison, slate floor, insulation, aircon and fireplace.
    I think it would either be a long term thing (say 5 years until we could build our dream home) or a temporary thing (a year while we build) not sure yet...all depends on finances. Did your parents have permission or was it a sort of hush hush thing? I guess it depends on the council.
    If it was long term it would be great to have something like your neighbor's shed...again, did she have it all approved as a dwelling?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,197
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzyj View Post
    I think it would either be a long term thing (say 5 years until we could build our dream home) or a temporary thing (a year while we build) not sure yet...all depends on finances. Did your parents have permission or was it a sort of hush hush thing? I guess it depends on the council.
    If it was long term it would be great to have something like your neighbor's shed...again, did she have it all approved as a dwelling?
    Neither are fully approved dwellings, although neighbours could be if they went through council. In our council you can stay for weekends no problems but they aren't technically meant to be permanent dwellings. On our street there is probably half a dozen people who are doing it tho (or have just finished building the house after doing it). You don't get rubbish bins if you don't have a permanent dwelling tho, but people get around that, either knowing neighbours, local bins (big no no) or taking rubbish to work etc.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,197
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Biggest thing mum and dad found was heat. Cold a little but easier to rug up. In summer they were regularly getting temps above 45 inside in the summer. All there candles melted! It did cool down quickly when the sun went down

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    41
    Reviews
    0
    Following, as this is what we are planning on doing once we buy a property (100+ acres) in the bush.

    Our plan is to get an American Barn and convert it into a 5 bed open plan home

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,064
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We will most likely do this. The block we are looking at has a half-finished shed on it. The hubster would finish it off and then we would deck it out as a "shouse" (shed-house as my sister calls it, they are living in their shed now, while they decide whether they want to build a house and stay, or sell their block). I don't know what the rules are here, but we would be super unlucky to be caught where we are, no neighbours and well away from a main road.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

    hazzyj  (11-05-2016)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0
    Oh how cool to see a few people thinking of doing it too!
    For us it's a way to get onto the block we want as the cost of a house on top of the block is too much.

    I didn't think about the bin situation! Not really an option with pooey nappies 😂

    I've emailed the council to see what our options are and will go from there.

    Haha I have seen them referred to as as shouse ... I bet some of them are premium!!

    100 acres ... Wow we would only be looking at 3 and therefore noticeable but I think a lot of people in the area do it

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    We will most likely do this. The block we are looking at has a half-finished shed on it. The hubster would finish it off and then we would deck it out as a "shouse" (shed-house as my sister calls it, they are living in their shed now, while they decide whether they want to build a house and stay, or sell their block). I don't know what the rules are here, but we would be super unlucky to be caught where we are, no neighbours and well away from a main road.
    Is your sister's shouse insulated etc?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Living with Parents?
    By Frankenmum in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 08:13
  2. Living in the moment? How do you do it?
    By Soon2be4 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 20:49
  3. Minimalist living
    By HarvestMoon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-07-2015, 14:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Little Rugby NSWCatch, weave, chase, run, but most of all have FUN! Little Rugby runs a NSW network of fun, safe and non-contact footy ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›